Another rear tire size question and advice needed.

-
The saga continues I got the spacers to fit, but the lugs are not long enough.And nobody carries longer lugs that I don't have to drill out the ones that do carry them.It'll be in middle of august before they have any in. So it looks like I wait for longer studs. Or I buy the 2 45 60 15 inch tires.

Yes 15x8 4.5 b/s I would say approx. 1 inch away
And on the inside of the wheel opening.... also what rearend do you have? Iam hoping I can finally put this saga behind me ...lol. if your rearend is a 8.75...then iam back to the drawing board.lol..

Last edited:
Yes I have a Duster with the 8 1/4 and no air shocks with the 245-60-15's

Need some advice on rear tires for my 73 Plymouth.Duster I currently have l60 15 On the rear now , with 15x8 4.5 rally wheels with a one inch spacer. I want to remove the spacer and put The widest tire I can Without it hitting the inner lip on the rear quarter. New rear springs and shocks...no air shocks...using longer shackles..at the moment.. i want to use stock shackles...ive done several searches for tires sizes and they are all over the place. I read a 255 60 15 or 235 60 15 .275 60 15...would work.. Advice would be appreciated
1972 Duster. 275-60-15 on 15x8 w/4.5 works perfect. I'm all stock, no cutting, no spring relocation or SS springs and no air shocks. Fit perfectly and don't rub, even hitting train tracks at the 30mph.

20240625_173809.jpg

Keep in in mind an 8-1/4” rear in the “73 and up is more narrow. Almost .75” each side.

My 73 is getting a swap to 8-3/4 and then my 15x8/4.5bs Rallyes on 255’s will fit without the spacer. Tires should be 1/2” from spring then.

Currently, the short wheel studs of the stock axles I barely feel comfortable with that much thread engagement but it does meet what is suggested as satisfactory. I’m okay with the distance between the tire and leaf but it’s close. So, running what I have with the 8.25 and tire/ spacer combo It’s tight, but doable.

8 3/4" Rear end widths, drum-to-drum:

A-BODY
  • '66-'72= 57 1/8” (or 57 13/16” for BBP axles and brakes)
    • BBP 8.25/7.25= 56 3/4”

Last edited:
1972 Duster. 275-60-15 on 15x8 w/4.5 works perfect. I'm all stock, no cutting, no spring relocation or SS springs and no air shocks. Fit perfectly and don't rub, even hitting train tracks at the 30mph.

View attachment 1716275456

Everything fits if you just jack it up 2” over the top of the tires and let them hang out the sides.

Something about that car isn’t stock, because that ride height is not factory.

Keep in in mind an 8-1/4” rear in the “73 and up is more narrow. Almost .75” each side.

My 73 is getting a swap to 8-3/4 and then my 15x8/4.5bs Rallyes on 255’s will fit without the spacer. Tires should be 1/2” from spring then.

Currently, the short wheel studs of the stock axles I barely feel comfortable with that much thread engagement but it does meet what is suggested as satisfactory. I’m okay with the distance between the tire and leaf but it’s close. So, running what I have with the 8.25 and tire/ spacer combo It’s tight, but doable.
So I end up going with the 245 60 15...thanks TT30. ,,and go-fish for all your help.. They fit great.They look great.No rubs no issues .. No Longer.
Studs.. No adapters The no airshocks...

Last edited:
So I end up going with the 245 60 15...thanks TT30... They fit great.They look great.No rubs no issues .. No Longer.
Studs.. No adapters The no airshocks...

Sounds good. I thought you were really after that absolute max. I was, so that's why I steered you to the spacer and warned about wheel studs. 245's are definitely a better fit but 255 is doable. Wish I would have at least mentioned the 245's before. Sorry you had all this hassle.

Sounds good. I thought you were really after that absolute max. I was, so that's why I steered you to the spacer and warned about wheel studs. 245's are definitely a better fit but 255 is doable. Wish I would have at least mentioned the 245's before. Sorry you had all this hassle.
I appreciate all of your help. And you are correct in what you told me. It seems like I always go down a rabbit hoe l o l And I would have ran the other tires if the studs would have been a little longer... like you told me I would need..ty

Just to add to your confusion, my last 69 Barracuda FB I ran 275/60/15 TA's on a 15x7 rally wheel with
4" BS. 8-3/4 10" drums on SuperStock springs. Nothing hit or rubbed. It's that 8" wide rim that causes
problems with fit.

I ran this combo for the last 10 of the 12 years I owned the car and the guy who I sold it to is still running
that combo.

I now have a 1968 Barracuda convertible 318/904 and I'll be looking at wheels for it too.

Just to add to your confusion, my last 69 Barracuda FB I ran 275/60/15 TA's on a 15x7 rally wheel with
4" BS. 8-3/4 10" drums on SuperStock springs. Nothing hit or rubbed. It's that 8" wide rim that causes
problems with fit.

I ran this combo for the last 10 of the 12 years I owned the car and the guy who I sold it to is still running
that combo.

I now have a 1968 Barracuda convertible 318/904 and I'll be looking at wheels for it too.
Cool thanks...

-
Back