Another reason I wasn't getting a good ET !!

-

BARRACUDA340S

Reaction score
I emailed Scotty the video's and him and I watched them several times. He saw something I didn't. I was spinning the slick's all the way through second gear. :shock: You can see me leaving black mark's down the track. Then I left 2 feet of black marks in 3rd. I imagine 1st wasn't much better but the track is very black there so you can't tell. The slick grabbed enough to bring up the front tires, they just wouldn't hold down the track. I will link you guy's to the video's as soon as Scotty get's them up.

Few things I noticed.

1 You need a line lock to heat those tires up better. Looks like your pushing threw the front brakes too.

2 The second run you were without adout smoking the tires half way down the track.

3 It sounds like its loading up at low RPMs.

4 When you get that thing sorted out its gonna freaken fly :D

I'm posting a reply on the thead on Scotty's Place.

Yeah it was def loading up. I had one running the brakes and the gas and the left foot on the clutch. I really don't want to mess with a line lock. I have never really had to heat these slicks up much plus they pulled the front tires on every launch. I was fighting the motor laying down all day so I never got a chance to mess with tire pressure etc. Kind of a wasted trip. I basically learned my set up AIN'T set up. I think it's a combo between cam and carb. The motor has zero bottom end and the law's of physic's won't change no matter what rpm I launch at. Once the tires grab I'm 1 to 1 and at 30 MPH the rpm's just aren't there and the motor has nothing to give. Since the motor can't burn the fuel guess what happens next! :roll:

I'm done for the year and don't even want to waste my time trying to figure it out right now.

I'm impressed with the MPH considering I layed rubber 1/2 way down the track. My 60ft's are pathetic now but once I get this combo working it's gonna be FAST. I'm thinking there's 130 mph in the car somewhere in the mid 10's. I'll get back with Scott Brown in the spring and figure this deal out. He's been great so far helping out with stuff. I just haven't had much tuning and seat time with the new set up. I'll get it there. :thumrigh:

I know you'll get it figured out. The line lock is super easy to install and Im sure you could hide it. It would make bolth burn outs and staging alot easier with the 4 gear.

By the way. time to update your sig. Photoisland is gone.

Well after waiting a couple of hours for the videos to download (damn dial up :evil: ) I just gotta say WOW :shock: The way that thing blows that puff of smoke after it stumbles looks like you're getting some kind of fuel slosh. Are you running extensions on the bowl vents?

Takes a while to get it all dialed in correctly. Keep at it, you'll get there.
Every time you get to frustrated take a step away for a while.
From what you have explained your lucky you didn't twist the wheels off it.
Bent the wheel studs while spinning :shock: ! Becareful when you get that car to hook :pale:.
The chasis didn't flex any did it?

No the chasis is fine as far as I can tell. I have sub frame connectors. I will probably check into some better springs. Mine are just stock. I will be beafing up the rear suspension in the spring!

definatly was a wasted trip Brett like you said.......no line lock, no heat in the tires,cold weekend,bad track,ect..........plus the only reason it lifted the tires wasn't because it hooked it was because you has so much "stored energy" in the driveline RPM wise that when you droped the clutch it just shocked the chassis and whipped the wheels, hell your rear wheels even almost came off the ground.......all in all you have allot of power no doubt, but the rest of the car needs some attention b4 its a 10.50 car.......first thing to go is the clutch.....You need a race car! LOL!! Jesse

That makes sense! Some day I'll do a race car instead of trying to have the best of both worlds. But, there's nothing better than a 10 sec street car!

Man your lucky you didn't rip that dana right out of the car! I'm a firm believer in going overkill on the suspension when building a High HP hotrod especially when running a 4 speed. I'll be running a big block with NOS, with a manual auto with a 4500 stall torque converter, I'm still going to run an Alston prolink 4 link, coil overs, and a Dana 60 and 5/8 wheel studs front AND back and probably an Alterkation front end if things go as planned in the cash department. That way I'm covered incase the car ever wants to go grill up :wink: . Also then the suspension will hold up (hopefully) when I upgrade to a stoker bigblock.
Only thing that confuses me is I saw in Jegs it says for DRAG RACE USE ONLY with the 5/8 studs :scratch:?????? Is it because the nuts just sit on top of the rim instead of going through it? Or is it just B.S. like they do with alot of other aftermarket parts?
Don't give up your almost there.

-
Back