Another Seldom-Seen A-body

-
Reaction score
'68 Valiant station wagon. South African model with US '68 Valiant front clip and Australian '67-'68 VE Valiant body with rear sidemarker lights added to match US front ones. Slant-6 engine, right-hand drive. The "AUTOMATIC" badge looks as if it's off a Mercedes or something, but I am told by a reliable South African Valiant enthusiast that it's original:

68_Valiant_Wagon_F34.png

68_Valiant_Wagon_Rear.png

A couple years later, Chrysler RSA put the US '70 Dart front clip on the same Australian body, minus the rear sidemarkers:

70ValiantSafariRSA.jpg

Thanks, for those pictures, I'd like one of those too! Does anyone know how the steering column fits around the slant six, with right hand drive?

Thanks, for those pictures, I'd like one of those too! Does anyone know how the steering column fits around the slant six, with right hand drive?

I believe the steering box is mounted to the frame rail like a Jeep Cherokee (only cloesr to the firewall than the Jeep).

It fits just fine. The RHD oil pump does not include a filter seat, it just has threaded pipe fittings. Depending on the year and production plant, either flex lines or hard lines thread into these inlet and outlet ports and run to either a remote oil filter base for a spin-on filter mounted at the front of the manifold side of the block (just behind the P/S pump and just under the A/C compressor if so equipped) or welded to the valve cover, or to a remote replaceable-element oil filter mounted on the RH inner fender or at the front of the engine secured by the upper water pump bolts.

how cool love both but the demon wagon is amazing love the barracuda lights too hahah looks like a demon, barracuda and a coronet waggon GOT IT ON and had a baby hahaha

Here's some pics of what they look like. The steering box is fixed to the right hand frame rail, the idler arm is fixed to the left frame rail. No steering components are attached to the K frame.

Attachments

• IMGP6628.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 562
  • IMGP6629.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 569
  • IMGP6630.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 557
  • IMGP9160.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 560
  • IMGP6627.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 565
wow thats quite the set up, you learn something new everyday. hey Dan, you have mopar buddies in SOUTH AFRICA? wow you are a worldly guy eh?lol

I don't know why I find this stuff so interesting.

are those actually barracuda tailights or just "look a likes"?

Check it out.....aren't those Barracuda taillights that are mounted upside down?!

For the life of me, I could never understand why there was never an A-body wagon from '67 on up in the U.S.

I don't know why I find this stuff so interesting.

Check it out.....aren't those Barracuda taillights that are mounted upside down?!

For the life of me, I could never understand why there was never an A-body wagon from '67 on up in the U.S.
holy crap,good eye, i think you are right !..mmm interesting,it makes you wonder what else is out there.....

-
Back