-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
B6EDC5F7-CFCF-4FF4-80BE-56DD947B97AF.jpeg
E5324C7F-1315-44DE-BFEF-A384E7453EDD.jpeg
D1B1A966-6BAB-4120-BB56-7E9864B859E2.jpeg
Well I’ve been waiting for this since the third week of October. My son heard a noise in his 360 at the Halloween Classic at Norwak last October so we parked it and he drove my Duster to finish the weekend. This is the stock crank 360 that ran 6.54 about 4-5 times. It has a .600 lift roller cam in it with an untubed block and low oil pressure with three different makes of roller lifters till I blocked the oil to the one oil galley. I wasn’t about to tear it down to tube it but we will now. He told me he was ready to go when he could get to the car so I spent 3 hours tonight setting him up. Hopefully we just touched a rod bearing and can get it fixed and together ASAP. This was going to be a solid lifter build but after it was together insisted on a roller cam. I will never build another LA small block without tubing it. Lesson learned

Would you do a how to-ish thread for us all on the tubing process? It would be awesome for many here! Myself included would love it! Give it some thought.

I'd be interested in the tubing process also, keep us informed.

62355EA1-D965-452D-BD22-CAE8A1DABCDA.jpeg
85DDC23F-868A-423A-8B46-89A5E630C387.jpeg
FE781307-1501-46BA-9CA9-F9CE9D12249D.jpeg
Well Matt pulled the engine this morning and it’s not good news. The link bar on a set of comp cams roller lifters broke letting the lifter turn and badly damaged the 610 lift roller cam. We will strip the engine the rest of the way down so we can clean everything, new bearings, I’ll hone it and file fit new rings, and tube the block. I’ll call Jim at Racer Brown to see what he has sitting or maybe possibly regains another damaged roller cam I have here.

I gave him credit for getting it shut down after a nice 6.54 pass. Its hard for a racer to throw in the towel but this could have gotten pretty ugly pretty quick.

But lifter link bars shouldn't be breaking at all, and this engine is still relatively mild...?
Just sayin'.

In absolutely no way am I trying to be critical, or a smart guy. When I took my Comp 8043-16 lifters to my engine builder, he took one look at them and said no way. Said he absolutely would not run them in anything he built. His opinion was in favor of Isky, or Jesel. He also was in favor of lifters keyed into block rather than the use of lifters with link bars. Again, not trying to be a know it all, simply sharing a situation I was involved with regarding Comp solid roller lifters.

An unfortunate failure for sure, I hope the damage was restricted to the lifter and cam. Good luck with rebuild.

A guy I know here locally with a 69 340 4sp Dart called me and said his comp lifters lost the link bar as well.

These kids today are way harder on engines than we used to be. Double entries, buy backs, womp womp womp on the top end. It takes its toll. I’m betting we make more passes per month than a lot of guys do in a season so we have been pretty lucky.

The thread is flawed. The tubing is done in the early days to run roller tappets, regulating the amount of oil bleeding at the tappet. The stock oil hole is huge. Restricting the oil via the tube with a drilled oiling hole is how and why it was done.

Somewhere along the line, someone blocked the oil feed at the front of the block and added a cross over tube.

It is also suggested to open up & smooth all the oil passages.

Somewhere along the line, someone blocked the oil feed at the front of the block and added a cross over tube.

There is two differant cross over tubes that can be used.
1. Is used if your using a hydraulic lifter roller or flat tappet cam.
2. The other cross over is for full time rocker arm oiling.

Guitar Jones's thread on oiling systems mods pretty well explains it.

The thread is flawed. The tubing is done in the early days to run roller tappets, regulating the amount of oil bleeding at the tappet. The stock oil hole is huge. Restricting the oil via the tube with a drilled oiling hole is how and why it was done.

I don't think it's "flawed"... just the opinion of guys who work in the industry and how they handled it.

I've seen the differences in lifter construction and how the height of the oil bands can affect oil pressure especially with higher lift cams.

It's all good...

Now my SBM blew when last run by the PO... no oiling mods done that I can see... flat solid lifter cam.

But I'm wondering if the cam it had in it's last blast had a taller lift from what it ran for two seasons without an issue. Definitely an oiling problem that took out #1 and #2 rod journal. Originally built with a Crower Cam but blew up with a purpleshaft. Mopar lifters from what I can tell. Same shop did the original build and the rebuild before it died.

Hmmm....

Bush the lifter bores and run BAM Pro lifters......pricey? Yeah. But worth it in my mind. Control oil flow AND correct the crap factory tolerances all in one shot.

Just my solution.

Obviously I can’t say for sure from looking at a couple pics on my phone, but the cam doesn’t really look that bad.
Might be a candidate for a regrind.

What part number lifters, and any idea how many passes on them?
Spring loads?

Obviously I can’t say for sure from looking at a couple pics on my phone, but the cam doesn’t really look that bad.
Might be a candidate for a regrind.

What part number lifters, and any idea how many passes on them?
Spring loads?

Long day today so I will try to find my build sheet tomorrow if I hit the shop. We got it all tore down so hopefully he can get it off the stand so I can tube it. The crank needs cut for sure, the lifters were in my old Edelbrock headed 408 that ran 9.70’s so I’m thinking 80-100 runs. I’ll send a couple of cams I have here to Jim to see what he thinks. We are really limited in how much cam we can use in this engine because of valve to piston clearance. Matt’s budget is really limited

Long day today so I will try to find my build sheet tomorrow if I hit the shop. We got it all tore down so hopefully he can get it off the stand so I can tube it. The crank needs cut for sure, the lifters were in my old Edelbrock headed 408 that ran 9.70’s so I’m thinking 80-100 runs. I’ll send a couple of cams I have here to Jim to see what he thinks. We are really limited in how much cam we can use in this engine because of valve to piston clearance. Matt’s budget is really limited

Can u take pics of the tubing process ? ''Inquiring minds want to know !!" LOL

-
Back