Another snap ring clearance question.

-

fastback383

Reaction score
I pulled the front drum out to replace the clutches, when I put all the new stuff in, I have way too much clearance. First off this trans never had wavey snap ring. It just had a regular snap ring in it , it had a 3.8 kickdown lever in it. I was expectin a 2.9 ? Back to the clearance issue, I am baffled at what to do they are about 1/8 inch below the groove in the drum where the snap ring fits ? Maybe not that much but probably hundred thou . I took it apart to see if I had everything in correctly and it was fine, I put all the old stuff back in and it all sits up higher than the new stuff, way less clearance with the old stuff. I soaked the new stuff in trans fluid like it said too. But putting the new discs beside the old ones, the old ones look thicker ? WTF ? I am baffled, did I get the wrong ones ? Need some advice guys .Almost to the point of using the old stuff again. Also in the part that holds the piston in there was only 6 little springs , I was expecting at least 9 . Is this OK . Or should I try to find some more to stick in there ?

Also Guitar, if you read this. I have found a simple way to put the piston back in the drum after installing a new seal or gasket or whatever it is called. Being it is only about 20 degrees here right now I have a small space heater out in my garage where I am working on my trans. After several frustrating minutes trying to put the pison in the drum, I set the drum on my little heater to warm it up. It did not get hot just warm maybe 60-70 degrees, at the same time I set the piston outside in the cold. After about 15-20 minutes I brought them over to my bench and voila ! They slid right togethor no problem . And then I had to take them apart again because I forgot to replace the seal on the inside. So I used the same procedure and it worked well again. So give it a try guitar , I think you will be pleased with the results. Dave Wilson aka fastback383.

Hey Dave, it's rarely cold around here and heating and cooling apparatus are usually not close by. Thanks for the tip though.

It sounds like you might have rear clutch discs there. Front and rear steels are identical and the clutch overall size and teeth are also the same. The difference is the front discs are thicker.

Hi Dave,

You should be using a flat snap ring in the front clutch. Set your front clutch pack clearance to .010"-.012" per friction plate. Ex: 4 friction plates you would set your clearance to .040"-.048".

How thick are the friciton plates, and steels you have? I can get you selective steel plates in .080", .086" and .090". Standard is .070".

You can also get selctive snap rings: .062",.076", .090" and .106".

On the front clutch piston return springs, I would use more than 6 springs for a big block!

Hope this helps, keep us posted!

Hi guys. I am using correct front clutches GJ. I only know that because there is even more clearance with the other ones. So I assume those ones are the rear. As far as the thickness of the clutches and steel I have no idea, I will have to measure them I guess. But i do know by looking at them tyhat the ones that came out are thicker than the new ones. They are all raybestos pieces. I bought the kit through www.smrtrans.com they are located in Toronto. Not sure what route to take yet, this is a major pain in the a$$. So far the disasassembly has been going allright and I am learning something, but getting parts and more importantly the RIGHT parts has been frustrating!!!
I should of had this done by now. Thanks again guys , I do appreciate the input, I would be lost without your help ! :salut: Dave.

-
Back