Another straight axle Valiant

-

DV8

Reaction score
I spotted this '65 Valiant with a straight axle and a blown, 440 at a car show last sunday.

It was a shock to see it because...other than the blown big block, painted chrome, and the race-only style, build....it is VERY close to what I am doing to my '64...right down to the off-white paint, and 4-inch dropped axle, and at one point, I was going to do a Ramchargers-style candy striped roof like this one. (I had decided to skip the striped roof, but it does look good on this car!)

DSCF1367.jpg

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1362.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

DSCF1370.jpg

I told him to bring it out to the Billetproof Drags in October, at Lakeland Drag Strip in central Fl....I hope he does, because if my buddy still has this one:

DSCI0499.jpg

....and mine finally makes it out of "body shop purgatory"....

New2020102000222.jpg

....we would have three straight axle Valiants there this year!!

That car just looks violent! I like the slot mags on the rear. Did he have the hood with him?

Thats BAD-***!!! Three strait axle Valiants in the same place.....thats going to be one heck of a sight!!!

That car just looks violent! I like the slot mags on the rear. Did he have the hood with him?

I didn't see a hood, but he must have one by the looks of the brackets.

I didn't hear it run....wish I did!

I think he lived close to the show in Sarasota.

Those are wild. 2. Gasser 1. FX Car. Is there a big Mopar following there?

As big a following as any place I guess....

Florida is a hot spot for classic cars and hot rods anyway...good weather...lots of shows year round...and no overly-oppressive state government trying to eradicate the hobby.

There are some serious Mopars that pop up at that show most years...cross rams, hemis, Super/Stocks, etc.

Very cool set of hot rods!!How are the police in FLA with the small details,,,,,,,,,like the " obstruction of vision" and non DOT tires?? I can tell you that a Hood is mandatory in PA:roll:

I've never had a problem, or any of my friends either. I have cheater slicks on one of mine, and have driven it from south of Tampa, to Ocala and back.

I have three hot rods with no hoods or fenders that I've driven all over central Florida.

Open headders on two of them...straight pipes on the other....same with most of my friends' cars as well.

I'm sure I will run into the "one cop" that considers himself the "hot rod patrol" but most of them are cool!

They mostly nod or give a thumbs up! My buddy barked the tires next to one at a light in his roadster once (by accident)....the deputy just laughed!

Another buddy was driving pretty aggressively on the way to my house in a roadster once, and a cop just came up next to him and yelled at him to slow down and drive like he had some sense! :)

I have no problems here on Long Island,but a few years back I got a ticket for NO HOOD going from the fairgrounds at Chrysler Carlisle back to the hotel,,,,,,,,,,,,,in the rain:roll:He let the rest of the little BS stuff slide.When "shorty,{as he called himself} came back to my car to deliver my summons,he asked wher my windshield wipers were.I told him they were hide-a-way wipers:evil4: He started looking for them and when he looked at me with that look:scratch:I said "yep,they're hide-a-ways,they are hidden in the garage:toothy9::salute::lol:

Attachments

• 100_4841.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_4842.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 689
  • 5-21-S6_066.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 667
  • 5-21-S6%20067.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_1836.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 646
  • DSCN0037r2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 670
DV8, did you work out your steering issues with the 4" dropped axle?

Mike

I think so Mike.... The only issue now is that I used a deep oil pan, and under full weight and jumping on the front bumper, it does get real close to hitting the steering link, but as long as I don't pop any wheelies, I should be ok! :)

A stock pan would clear by a few inches.

I'm still waiting for it to get painted....my buddy is having employee problems...I told him to quit screwing around and paint it himself!

I spotted this '65 Valiant with a straight axle and a blown, 440 at a car show last sunday.

It was a shock to see it because...other than the blown big block, painted chrome, and the race-only style, build....it is VERY close to what I am doing to my '64...right down to the off-white paint, and 4-inch dropped axle, and at one point, I was going to do a Ramchargers-style candy striped roof like this one. (I had decided to skip the striped roof, but it does look good on this car!)

DSCF1367.jpg

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1362.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

DSCF1370.jpg

I told him to bring it out to the Billetproof Drags in October, at Lakeland Drag Strip in central Fl....I hope he does, because if my buddy still has this one:

DSCI0499.jpg

....and mine finally makes it out of "body shop purgatory"....

New2020102000222.jpg

....we would have three straight axle Valiants there this year!!

What straight axle did you use?

Speedway 4-inch dropped tube axle, with mustang II discs.

I think the other two guys used the same axle, but not neccessarily the same brakes.

That set-up has short springs, and fit a lot better than some set-ups.

Here is a thread with my build...It is ready for paint at this point, but still waiting...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=103721

Thanks. That was a great read..

I saw this white one again today at a carshow in Osprey.

He said he has got most of the bugs worked out, and it should be lifting the front wheels soon!

Awesome car.....

-
Back