Another timing question. Forgive me lol

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
So guys just got back from a drive. Did my 2 year plug change along with my yearly fuel filter change. Since i had no luck with the rev n nator ignition box I decided to put in a chrome mopar box in place of the orange one. Initial timing while hot on the orange box was 15-16 btc. Just checked it when i got back and with the chrome box it is at 19-20 btc. Is this too much initial? I know these small blocks like as much initial as you can safely give them plus im at around 1000 feet elevation. I did a short wot pull from about 15 mph and when through second at wot and didn't notice any knock or detonation. Car seems to run much better with the chrome box but is this due to the added initial timing? Also i know this is stupid but ive never heard detonation, is it one of those things thats hard to miss?

@TrailBeast

Last edited:
You need to know your TOTAL timing. 34° or so, all in before 3000 rpm, is a good place to start. Without knowing this, it's tough to know what your initial timing should be.

Im running trail beasts distributor, I believe it has a 36 or 38 degree limiting plate in it.

Before when it was at 16 initial it was like 34 or 35 all in at around 2500 rpm

Saw your post and it made mine pointless. :D

That limit for the total can be brought down lower if needed so you can run any initial you wish. (within reason of course)
I did send the directions for that right?

If not they are here.
Mopar Distributor Tuning J685S

With one of my distributors you should be right about 34 total with about 16-18 initial.
Sometimes they need to be changed a little so they suit a specific need.

I will have to check all in again. Initial was real close to 19* so i should be right in that area. Just was making sure it didn't seem like too much initial.

Also stupid question, what does detonation sound like? Didnt notice anything abnormal at wot

You need to know your TOTAL timing. 34° or so, all in before 3000 rpm, is a good place to start. Without knowing this, it's tough to know what your initial timing should be.
not doubting ur post, but I`m wondering about bring in the total before 3000 w/ todays pump gas. any thots about this out there ? pace, mrl, or andy f ? 91 octane 20 * inintial, 34* all in by 3400 alum. heads 10.3 c.r. , We used to run these #`s all in by 2800-3000 , but the gas was a hell of a lot better back then. all comment welcome.

not doubting ur post, but I`m wondering about bring in the total before 3000 w/ todays pump gas. any thots about this out there ?
Depends on a lot of factors, but with 93 octane (best we have here, and its 10% ethanol) and my mildly built 10.5:1 340, with Eddy aluminum heads, I am running about 20° initial and 35° total, all in somewhere below 3000. Never heard any pinging/detonation. The aluminum heads really help, IMHO.

Im running basically the same setup as you gts, 10:1 340 .040 over with eddy heads and intake, orange box was at around 16 initial and 34 all in by 2000 rpm.
Chrome box is at around 19-20 for initial, haven't checked all in yet but id say its around 36

-
Back