Another timing question.....

-

mattsmopars

Reaction score
Well i am going to set the timing on my new engine, and i was wondering an idea of a good place for total timing and initial timing would be? Its set at 10 degree intial now. The motor is a 340 .040 over with stock 68-70 trw l2316 pistons that are about 10.0-1 or 10.5-1 , stock x heads, headers, rpm air gap intake, 650 cfm holley double pumper. Cam is a an engle solid cam that is 560 lift 275 duration ground on a 109 lobe seperation. I also think the cam was ground with 4 degree advance in it, as best as i remember.The lash is set
.018 intake and .020 exhaust.
Also running msd 6A box with a mallory unilite with only mechanical advance and no vacum advance. Car has a 4:10 gear and a 727 auto. I am looking for the best place to be without spark or any issues. Please let me know what you think. Any and all help would be great and thanks in advance.
Matt

add about 8* to your initial timing and you will be closer.

10* initial isn't near enough

add about 8* to your initial timing and you will be closer.

10* initial isn't near enough

Do you have an idea of what kind of total timing I am looking for? Also if I add 8 degrees to it do you think it will still rum on 93 octane without any problems?
BTW thanks for the help!
Matt

You'll likely have to limit mechanical advance in the distributor to keep it under about 34 or so.

It won't ping with that much initial as long as the total and curve are in line.

You'll likely have to limit mechanical advance in the distributor to keep it under about 34 or so.

It won't ping with that much initial as long as the total and curve are in line.

ditto, upwards of/around 25* initial is possible and around 34* total advance.

It would be nice to tailor the curve for like 24* @idle & 32*full advance@2200rpm, but you would need to find out how much it would still start with [warmed up] and how much it runs best with for total/full advance.

What is your cranking compression? If it's around 130 it may feel like it wants a lot of initial (15 deg or so). 34-36 with flat top pistons and stock heads should be perfect. All in by 2200-2500.

Might want to be on the conservative side for initial start-up. Have it set BEFORE you start it, so it lights right up, and you don't have to play around with a new motor. Same goes for fuel. Make sure (w/ a mech pump), that the fuel bowls are full. You want that baby to start right up, set the idle up to 2000-2500 rpm's or so, and let it go for 20 minutes or so, while you look for leaks. You should prime the oil pump, and turn the motor til oil comes out the rockers, before you start it. If it has a lot of spring pressure, consider using worn out springs for break-in.
Sorry if you know all of this, I hate seeing a new engine get off to a "rough start". And, I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have already done the break in procedure on the engine and everything seemed to go well. It's now time to rest to the timing and bump it up alittle.
Matt

-
Back