Ansen scattershield

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
I purchased an Ansen steel scattershield along with the A833 for the conversion Im doing on my 360 powered 68 barracuda. The scattershield is stamped "meets SEMA specs" and "AHRA" and "NHRA". I know what all these things mean, but I cant find any info on the net about these scattershields. They dont seem to be manufactured anymore. Can anyone fill me in on what I've got here. Are these recent manufacture or ancient relics? Is it a good scattershield?

Sorry but an antique. I don't think Ansen has been in buisness for many years. toolman

I bought one brand new in the late 1970's from a company called Midwest Auto Specialties. It cost me about $80 to $85 at the time. Somebody stole it out of my storage building so I never got to use it. Only other info I can remember is it was gold colored, heavy & that it came with an adapter ring so that it could be used with the two smaller diameter transmission input bearing retainers.

hi,the ansens were made of cast iron and heavy.when lakewood brought out their hydoformed scattershield, the cast iron shields were not legal anymore.
this was back in the 70's. it'd be ok for a street car only.

hi,the ansens were made of cast iron and heavy.when lakewood brought out their hydoformed scattershield, the cast iron shields were not legal anymore.
this was back in the 70's. it'd be ok for a street car only.

The Ansen I had was made like the Lakewoods. It was formed from 1/4" steel & had a block plate. Don't know if it was stamped, hydroformed or what, but it wasn't cast iron.

Thanks for the input fellas. Mine is similar in design to the Lakewood and is formed with 1/4 steel, not cast - see pics. A similar big block version is for sale on ebay for $399. I believe there were earlier very heavy 2 piece cast versions, but it seems mine is an OK piece (safety wise) to use in a street driven car. Only problem I suppose is finding an adaptor to accept the smaller input shaft bearing retainer on my tranny.

CIMG1484.JPG

CIMG1485.JPG

They aren't SFI certified so they are not legal for NHRA. This includes the early Lakewoods as well, with out the SFI decal they aren't legal if the rules require an SFI scattershield.

I'm not really planning any racing for the car, maybe one or two passes down the quarter, but that's all. So SFI certification is not a major issue. But given it's SEMA certified and the information on the SFI site quoted below as to the origins of SFI, would it not in effect be SFI certified?

"SFI was originally a foundation run by SEMA, the automotive aftermarket trade organization. The letters "SFI" stood for "SEMA Foundation, Inc." Although SFI is now completely independent from SEMA, the Foundation has retained the name SFI Foundation, Inc. but the "S" no longer means SEMA."

-
Back