Ansen Sprints (wheels)

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Long story short; I bought a pair of SBP Ansen Sprint wheels that were being marketed by American, and before I could get two more ordered for the front. they had been deleted from the catalog (Summit.)

I called Tire Rack only to be told the same story; none available.

I was distressed.... to say the least.

Then, just this week, I saw a notice in one of the national magazines that Stockton Wheel Co. in California has taken over the old Ansen Sprint line and wil be selling these classic slotted mags in a variety of sizes and configurations. It's those wheels in my Avatar...

Just some info for others who might have been in the same boat as I was...

This is good news!!!

So Bill, are you needing some sbp slots? Let me know buddy.
Small Block

Bill, the reason I didn't buy the ones from the Tire rack at the time, was all they had were 7-inch wide, 15"-diameter ones.

I needed 5"-wide 14"-diameter wheels, with stock backspacing for a disk brake '72 car (my Valiant.)

I don't know if Ansen ever even MADE such a wheel....

Money is tight, here, right now, but will improve in Jan...

Keep me in mind, and thanks for thinkin' of me...8)

Bill,

Ansen made 14x7 and 14x6 in SBP for sure, plus many more sizes. I have a pair of each on my car. I'm fairly sure the the 14x6 wheels would fit your car. I have 14x6 front and 14x7 rear of my '67. One note, the old (origional) Ansen wheels will not match the new style. The shape and the finish are quite different.

I have seen sets of 4 (alot nicer than mine started out) at swap meets fairly inexpensive. I saw a set of 4 this fall but they were all 14x6 and most want 14x7 for the rear.

I spent quite a bit of time sanding and polishing mine last winter. The old Ansen wheels had a machined finish rather than polished. I was never able to get them quite as bright as new cast or billet wheels are today. The aluminum seems to be slightly porous or has some type of grain. I get quite a few complements and I have been asked if I could do a set for other guys but frankly its real dirty work and I probably wouldnt make $2 an hour by the time I was done.

The biggest problem with the old wheels is the lack of availability of the center caps. I'm still looking for an origional set. I modified a set of new universal center caps to fit.

I still love the look of those old wheels.

Brian

Bill,

Ansen made 14x7 and 14x6 in SBP for sure, plus many more sizes. I have a pair of each on my car. I'm fairly sure the the 14x6 wheels would fit your car. I have 14x6 front and 14x7 rear of my '67. One note, the old (origional) Ansen wheels will not match the new style. The shape and the finish are quite different.

I have seen sets of 4 (alot nicer than mine started out) at swap meets fairly inexpensive. I saw a set of 4 this fall but they were all 14x6 and most want 14x7 for the rear.

I spent quite a bit of time sanding and polishing mine last winter. The old Ansen wheels had a machined finish rather than polished. I was never able to get them quite as bright as new cast or billet wheels are today. The aluminum seems to be slightly porous or has some type of grain. I get quite a few complements and I have been asked if I could do a set for other guys but frankly its real dirty work and I probably wouldnt make $2 an hour by the time I was done.

The biggest problem with the old wheels is the lack of availability of the center caps. I'm still looking for an origional set. I modified a set of new universal center caps to fit.

I still love the look of those old wheels.

Brian

Thanks for all that good info, Brian. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a difference in appearance, but as ugly as this car is, that's not a problem.

I hadn't thought about the center cap scarcity, either, since I didn't know they were different. I do appreciate all the information!!!

Thanks for the kind words...8)

I bought them to replace my Centerlines, which had the wrong backspacing...

I do think the look kind of.... er.... aggressive. :)

-
Back