Antennae Repair? 1968 Dart

-

BullyDodge

Reaction score
Can this be repaired? The side cable comes out no problem. Is there a repair/replacement for the top antennae? The fender bezel is quite unique and I bet hard to replace or perhaps its a standard fir to other antennae bases. I am unfamiliar with other makes. Thanks.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

[WANTED] - Mopar Antenna Base

I got a replacement from this site. Make a Parts Wanted Ad on this site.
The same thing happened to my base as yours. The bottom of the antenna mast is broke off inside the top of your mount.
I soaked mine, then tried to remove it with a Back-out tool to no avail.

I just bought a repop for my 69 with the bezel and spanner nut. It came with a retractable antenna, I have a fixed one, they do interchange. My original did what yours did.

The fixed (one piece mast) was 'New for 1972'.

Easy to remember since it rhymes. ;-)

Telescoping antenna for 1971 back.

Go to 521 Restorations website. He has the base kit with antenna lead for about 30. I just got one from him.

Can this be repaired? The side cable comes out no problem. Is there a repair/replacement for the top antennae? The fender bezel is quite unique and I bet hard to replace or perhaps its a standard fir to other antennae bases. I am unfamiliar with other makes. Thanks.

View attachment 1715649853

View attachment 1715649854

I am not familiar with all the differences in antennas, but I can tell you that most? all? I've see, the cable is NOT designed to be removed from the base. It is almost always fastened / crimped/ etc permanently into the base The base sees a certain amount of road splash so it needs to be at least "somewhat" waterproof, both above, and below

I am not familiar with all the differences in antennas, but I can tell you that most? all? I've see, the cable is NOT designed to be removed from the base. It is almost always fastened / crimped/ etc permanently into the base The base sees a certain amount of road splash so it needs to be at least "somewhat" waterproof, both above, and below
Cable removed easily from base. Looks like it should. Mast I am confused about. Thanks.

Can you post a photo of the cable end? Should have a connector if removable. It may have "removed" but that does not mean it "should" have.

This is what I have. Could be correct it is not supposed be pulled out however is like an RG6 cable with a Center wire. If you can expand the picture, inside is a pin that goes into the cable to make contact with the Center wire. I believe if it was not supposed to be removed, I could maybe remove the sheath and attach or somehow make from a new antennae cable.

I have seen masts for sale however not close enough to see any detail of the end that is to go into the top of the base (from under the fender). It appears the shaft should come out of the top.

FE1D01DE-9BFA-43BB-A1DB-2905240CF5A3.jpeg

0980E089-F49E-4210-8EF7-D6E9CA56C125.jpeg

826307AA-4F8A-4680-910C-74149867785D.jpeg

Also post a photo of the end opposite of the antenna.

I have 2 theories.

1. the antenna mast cable and all the internals are inserted into the housing and plastic is injected into it to lock it all in place. like overmolding but in reverse.
  2. the antenna is roll-crimped onto the guts, then the plastic farrell is inserted on the mast and the antenna is inserted into the bottom end and pressed into place followed by a freeze plug of sorts.
your last photos make me think that theorie 1 is most correct

found this and a lot of info comes back to a screw in mast. I do not think from the photos you have posted that the cable is supposed to be removable.

But the more I look the more I think the 67 vs 68 up antennas are very different. 67 mast is not removable that I can see.

upload_2020-12-19_11-33-48.png

upload_2020-12-19_11-35-41.png

Assuming for a moment that the cable is supposed to be removable. there is a possibility that the screw in part of the original mast is broken off inside the housing and maybe a drill and easy out could remove it. don't drill too deep! so you might be able to repair it. BUT if the cable is not supposed to be removable then it is moot, just get a replacement or used one.

Last edited:
Mast alone from year one 99.00
1968 - 1976 Mopar HD 76" TELESCOPING Antenna Mast. 2889334

Classic sells the entire assy 79.00!

MD2606 - 1968-74 Mopar Telescoping Antenna Set

Yearone assy 109.00
1966-74 A B E-Body Antenna Kit

Brads NOS 189.00
mast only 2889 919
NOS MoPar 68-70 Antenna Mast! 2889919

Ebay 175.00
NOS assy 2889 826

1968 69 70 71 72 Plymouth Valiant Duster Dodge Dart Demon NOS MoPar ANTENNA | eBay

FBBO 350.00

NOS ASSY
FOR SALE - 1968-1970 NOS Antenna 2889826

you have a few options

Last edited:
This is what I have. Could be correct it is not supposed be pulled out however is like an RG6 cable with a Center wire. If you can expand the picture, inside is a pin that goes into the cable to make contact with the Center wire. I believe if it was not supposed to be removed, I could maybe remove the sheath and attach or somehow make from a new antennae cable.

I have seen masts for sale however not close enough to see any detail of the end that is to go into the top of the base (from under the fender). It appears the shaft should come out of the top.

View attachment 1715652675

Yep. The problem is attaching the center wire. No idea, I think it was done before the thing went together. You "Might" be able to drill an access hole in the opposite side of the base, re-attach the coax, and solder the lead wire. The ground connection surely must have been crimped somehow Ma never intended those to last 40-50 years LOL

View attachment 1715652676

View attachment 1715652677

-
Back