Anti theft devices

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
End of 2019 wife and I started talking about taking the 65 Dart and doing a Route 66 road trip (before Covid-19). We're still hopefull that by mid Sept we'll be able to travel. The plan is to go south from MN and jump on at Galena, KS and head west all the way to Santa Monica. Looking at 2 to 3 weeks there and back with lots of stops. My question is we'll be staying at a lot of motels on the way and I don't want to come out in the morning and cars gone! :( Thinking pulling VR wire off maybe something else, would a wheel chock also be a good idea? I have a few months to figure this out yet

Dart.jpg

what I would TRY to do, is meticulous planning and instead of staying in motels, staying in AirBNBs, which would then have a garage

but, it would cost more

Pull the coil wire at night, Keep the door's unlocked and have Faith! Most will give up! Least damage that way!

I spliced a kill switch into the start/run circuit before I went on the Hot Rod Power Tour, also carried a steering wheel club. My buddy took a gorgeous '66 GTO on that trip, did nothing that I'm aware of, neither of us had any trouble, but I did hear that a Monte Carlo SS was stolen on the tour.

You have a tach? Put an unobtrusive switch to ground the tach wire. Electric fuel pump? Add an inconspicuous switch to kill the pump. Are the holes in the wheels large enough for a chain/ cable? Padlock. Consider figuring out how to lock the hood, not really easy on many Mopars. There are all kinds of little things you can do, but if they arrive with a roll-back or wrecker, you are screwed.

Albuquerque is notorious for vehicles, trailers etc being stolen from Motels
Recommend NOT staying there and be careful if you do
I have family that live there and they all say the same

what I would TRY to do, is meticulous planning and instead of staying in motels, staying in AirBNBs, which would then have a garage

but, it would cost more
That would be tough, no set agenda with how far we'll get every day. I have an idea but plans might change. thanks

Battery quick disconnect thing for battery post, club or one that locks under brake pedal and hooks on steering wheel, hidden kill switch, remove coil wire, don’t leave anything inside that can be seen, park by front of motel where there is good lighting at night, ask if they have a cctv system and park where the cameras are pointed. How about a security system wired to its own battery?

Albuquerque is notorious for vehicles, trailers etc being stolen from Motels
Recommend NOT staying there and be careful if you do
I have family that live there and they all say the same
Well that sucks, we were planning to stay there and spend an extra day running up to SantaFe. Maybe we'll stay down in Los Lunas just south of there, now sure if that's any better.

What's everyone thoughts about a car cover? Courisity draw? Out of sight out of mind?

That would be tough, no set agenda with how far we'll get every day. I have an idea but plans might change. thanks
yeah, it takes a little fun out of roadtripping to have a set in stone goal each day
it might be an option for the rougher legs of the trip?

I have a hidden kill switch for electric fuel pump and made an identical coil wire with no ends just siliconed the boots to wire and swap it with real one each night. If starting in Galina stop for lunch in Miami OK at the KuKu burger joint. They are car people. Don't miss blue whale in Catoosa. We have a lot of miles of the original road here in Oklahoma you probably need guide book to find them. Good luck and go get your kicks on 66.

If no one has said, your car looks great and enjoy the trip! Be Safe!

Last edited:
th?id=OIP.jpg
th?id=OIP.jpg

Caterpillar ground switch. Pretty much weatherproof, easily hidden, no groundy, no starty.
I never locked my ragtop. Anything valuable in the trunk it went.

Yup, every thing of value will be brought in or in trunk. I'll check out that switch, thanks
They do have a fork looking key that operates it. Unless modified, the key has to remain in the lock for a ground. Only drawback is Cat has been using the same switch for the 50 years I've been messin' with Cats and they all use the same key.

End of 2019 wife and I started talking about taking the 65 Dart and doing a Route 66 road trip (before Covid-19). We're still hopefull that by mid Sept we'll be able to travel. The plan is to go south from MN and jump on at Galena, KS and head west all the way to Santa Monica. Looking at 2 to 3 weeks there and back with lots of stops. My question is we'll be staying at a lot of motels on the way and I don't want to come out in the morning and cars gone! :( Thinking pulling VR wire off maybe something else, would a wheel chock also be a good idea? I have a few months to figure this out yet

View attachment 1715508161

Just put in a bad ballast at night. LOL

Just take the rotor out of the distributor. It's free.

-
Back