..........anti virus.........

-
guys-- all I can say is thanks for this thread-- Trailbeast I copied your summary & put my kids names at the top to read!!
Lawrence

guys-- all I can say is thanks for this thread-- Trailbeast I copied your summary & put my kids names at the top to read!!
Lawrence

Ha Ha, good call if they read it.:D

A couple of members have asked how, and where to get some of the programs I mentioned in my post so I will post the same info here.
It'll take a bit to upload the latest versions to my server for people to download without having to go through all the ads and crap to get them, but I will post the links and instructions when they are ready.

I will also post a few installation instructions for a couple of them that need it.

The Comodo Internet Security is a fair sized (90+) megabyte download, so only high speed internet is reasonable for this download.
The other programs are fairly small and should'nt be a problem.

Fortunatly, I don't really have anything else to do today (snowing here) so I don't mind helping if I can.

I'll be back.

Ok, here we go.
Click here http://www.letsgocomputers.com/programs/malwarebytes.exe to download Malwarebytes, and save it to your desktop if you can.
Vista, 7, and Firefox users can just let it download to "Downloads"
Once downloaded double click the file to install Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Once it installs, it will ask to update and open it. DO this.
Once updated and open, make sure "quick scan is checked and scan the machine.
We need to do this before any other installs to make sure your computer does not already have an infection that may interfere with the installs. (Like I mentioned in the post earlier about failed updates.)
Follow the program directions and remove anything the program finds (It's all bad for Windows)
It is very important to read what it tells you to do.
Some removals will ask you to reboot the computer. (Do it)

After the update and scan, then we can continue with the other programs if they are wanted.

...........My Norton just ran out on my new lap top.........what is recommended........thanks...........kim........

Can someome... anyone... tell me just what goes on in the brains of the individuals who spend countless hours fabricating virus programs that do harm to people they don't know, will never know, and the results of which, they can only imagine?

At least, the idiot who walks down a street with ball-pein hammer breaking windows in every car he encounters can walk back and SEE the damage he has caused; the person who creates and distributes viruses can only imagine the damaage he (or, she) has done... not a very satisfying reward for a lot of work.

I can't imagine what kind of thinking goes on in the heads of those who want to hurt people they don't even know, and will never see the results of their "work."

Can anybody shed some light on this?

I am baffled by it, frankly.

Is this some sort of psychosis?

Lonewolf, I'm sorry if you cannot read and comprehend. Linux is an operating system which is based on Unix, which was around when little freckle faced Bill Gates was eating pablum from a silver spoon. Unix/ Linux/ X is a very secure system and is in fact what Mac operating systems is based upon.

The overall system is much more secure than WhoreHozed and probably always will be. The fact is, there is a LOT of hatred for Microshi# around the world, and that is exactly why 99.999 viruses are directed towards it.

Linux is a VERY viable option. It does take a little learning. I'm 64, and become exhausted easily, and reading a heavy technical article is guaranteed to put me to sleep. In the face of that, I was able, using Google, to learn how to implement, solve problems, and setup and use Linux.

I've run Lunux on and off for more than 10 years now. I started with Redhat, then SUSE, then a couple of others, and ran Ubuntu for quite a spell, until Ubuntu went to their irritating I-thing like desktop (Unity.) So, I went back to "Mint."

The short answer, this is concrete advise, and evidently you were not able to figure that out

I do hate Microshaft, and will use any excuse to poke a barb at them. Microshi# has cost me a LOT of money over the years. "They" were always going to make the "new" version secure, better, bla bla bla. I HATE the way Winshi# 7 works. The way the file explorer works is just plain stupid. They have successfully buried just about any settings to make them nearly impossible to find easily.

I routinely search the "dark side" of the internet, and have NEVER suffered much other than some irritating pop-up, which was easily dealt with.

Biggest problem with Linux is that the manufacturers still don't "get it." While a few offer Linux preloaded, damn few do, and worse, the average hardware supplier acts like they have never heard of it, so, no drivers

Can someome... anyone... tell me just what goes on in the brains of the individuals who spend countless hours fabricating virus programs that do harm to people they don't know, will never know, and the results of which, they can only imagine?

At least, the idiot who walks down a street with ball-pein hammer breaking windows in every car he encounters can walk back and SEE the damage he has caused; the person who creates and distributes viruses can only imagine the damaage he (or, she) has done... not a very satisfying reward for a lot of work.

I can't imagine what kind of thinking goes on in the heads of those who want to hurt people they don't even know, and will never see the results of their "work."

Can anybody shed some light on this?

I am baffled by it, frankly.

Is this some sort of psychosis?

This explains it pretty well.
http://www.technibble.com/why-do-people-create-computer-viruses/

Lonewolf, I'm sorry if you cannot read and comprehend. Linux is an operating system which is based on Unix, which was around when little freckle faced Bill Gates was eating pablum from a silver spoon. Unix/ Linux/ X is a very secure system and is in fact what Mac operating systems is based upon.

The overall system is much more secure than WhoreHozed and probably always will be. The fact is, there is a LOT of hatred for Microshi# around the world, and that is exactly why 99.999 viruses are directed towards it.

Linux is a VERY viable option. It does take a little learning. I'm 64, and become exhausted easily, and reading a heavy technical article is guaranteed to put me to sleep. In the face of that, I was able, using Google, to learn how to implement, solve problems, and setup and use Linux.

I've run Lunux on and off for more than 10 years now. I started with Redhat, then SUSE, then a couple of others, and ran Ubuntu for quite a spell, until Ubuntu went to their irritating I-thing like desktop (Unity.) So, I went back to "Mint."

The short answer, this is concrete advise, and evidently you were not able to figure that out

I do hate Microshaft, and will use any excuse to poke a barb at them. Microshi# has cost me a LOT of money over the years. "They" were always going to make the "new" version secure, better, bla bla bla. I HATE the way Winshi# 7 works. The way the file explorer works is just plain stupid. They have successfully buried just about any settings to make them nearly impossible to find easily.

I routinely search the "dark side" of the internet, and have NEVER suffered much other than some irritating pop-up, which was easily dealt with.

Biggest problem with Linux is that the manufacturers still don't "get it." While a few offer Linux preloaded, damn few do, and worse, the average hardware supplier acts like they have never heard of it, so, no drivers

I think he just meant could you say it in english?

Linux
Mint
Ubuntu
Partition
Dual boot

None are plain english to most people.

Glad he didn't ask you to pass the sugar or something.
He'd be wearing it. :)

Im in the computer repair business and have used Norton av, I do not recommend the full blown version of norton ...just there striaght av program, I have over 300 clients that are using it and we have had no issues including serveral larger businesses. All that is on there machine is norton av and spyware blaster and the key is to do all the critical windows updates. I have never been infected in the 17 years ive used it ....including my server that i use to repair clients machines ... 04 and 05 was a system hog but the last few years it has been fast and unintusive. The ones that I have repaired the most are the free avg program that some people use .... the avg pro is better but cost the same as norton. I also have never had a issue with virues on this site. I do not recommend it on machines running less than 1gb of ram .... go with what you feel is right but be sure to update your windows critical updates, java and flash player to current versions ..... if you need a norton .... i sell them for 20 bucks.

Im in the computer repair business and have used Norton av, I do not recommend the full blown version of norton ...just there striaght av program, I have over 300 clients that are using it and we have had no issues including serveral larger businesses. All that is on there machine is norton av and spyware blaster and the key is to do all the critical windows updates. I have never been infected in the 17 years ive used it ....including my server that i use to repair clients machines ... 04 and 05 was a system hog but the last few years it has been fast and unintusive. The ones that I have repaired the most are the free avg program that some people use .... the avg pro is better but cost the same as norton. I also have never had a issue with virues on this site. I do not recommend it on machines running less than 1gb of ram .... go with what you feel is right but be sure to update your windows critical updates, java and flash player to current versions ..... if you need a norton .... i sell them for 20 bucks.

Your right about Norton used to be a system hog and I'm sure they changed it because of the complaints.
I have just seen too many infected machines that had Norton on them.
Part of the problem is that most people don't know a virus infection from a malware infection, and Norton SUCKED for malware. (Which pretty much surpassed virus infections)
That specific shortfall in Norton is what turned me off from it for good.

NEXT STEP

Download Comodo Internet Security from here.
http://www.letsgocomputers.com/programs/comodo.exe

BUT DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CURRENY AV YET!

Once you verify you have comodo.exe download, then uninstall your current AV but do not reboot when it asks you to do so.
There will usually be place to click that says "Do not restart now" or "Restart Later"
(This lessens your unprotected exposure time)

Now double click the comodo.exe file you downloaded.
When the installer opens you will see some check boxes that have some check marks in them.
One of them says "Use Comodo secure servers" or something to that effect.
UNCHECK all those boxes.
At the bottom of that same screen you will see "Customize installer" Click it.
The boxes there are for Geek Buddy (A pay service)
Comodo Dragon (Another browser by comodo)
I usually uncheck both of those and leave the others.

Now click "Back" and click to install the program.

If you mess up and install them, they can be removed later through "add and remove programs" in windows XP, or "Programs and Features" in windows Vista and 7.

That's interestting; thanks!

Sure Bill, no problem.
Some people might want to take a look at some of the "Good Guys" in the battle between good and evil.

These are two places I am a member of that fight this kind of stuff.
www.bleepingcomputer.com (Free real person help with virus removal and information on how to fix infections)

And www.badwarebusters.org (A reporting and repairing group that informs about illegal and infective activities, as well as help to fix the problem)

Had Norton on my old computer and twice it let in major viruses and crashed it. Maybe it's better now but I didn't have much luck with it. Started using ESET NOD32 about 3-4 yrs. ago and haven't have a minutes worth of trouble since. 4 or 5 times now I've noticed well after the fact that it caught viruses and/or trojans trying to get in and stopped them dead in their tracks and I didn't even notice anything happened cause it runs in the background so discreet.

..........I think i got it all figured, just need to get the Norton off now........kim.....

If you have another program in place go to control panel/add remove programs. It should propagate a list, find Norton and click on remove.

Oh I can read & comprehend quite well thank you!
It just appears that you are more focused on bashing windows with childish parody then you were offering simple advice. For most of us out here in the real world we're looking for something readily available & has common support resources readily available. I am aware of Linux operating systems, probably not as familar with them as you are, but that's not my field of expertise. But maybe the manufacturers & 99% of the conmputer buyers out here don't go with it because of the lack of drivers etc available. Maybe the viruses are directed toward windows because most computers are running windows. Virus creators are evil minded twits to begin with. If everyone started using Macs then the viruses would start appearing for Macs! Why waste your time making viruses that only affect a very small %? You know the Tucker was a great idea, but I don't see many people with them or much in the way of aftermarket for them.

Your point about the operating systems may be valid, but I think you lose it with the parody remarks. The OP was looking for advice on anti-virus software, not to replace his o/s. Your rant didn't offer him anything but the windows/ microsoft hatred babble.

No need to pay for internet security these days.
Run:
Microsoft Security Suite
Malwarebytes
CCLeaner

Run there three programs & you will be safe and keep keep your PC tuned

-
Back