ANTIFREEZE OUT VALVE COVER BOLT-HOLE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
ok...i know i'm new to mopar, so maybe that's it, BUT I never had antifreeze come out a valve cover bolt hole....
the motor is a 400....don't know what heads, that's one thing i wanted to find out while i had it off....but when antifreeze spewed out the hole, i put the bolt back in and ran inside to inquire about it....
it's the one under the oil fill cap (mopar aluminum valve covers)
I also took out the same bolt on the other side, and didn't get water out.....
someone please help

thats not uncommon, usualy it the end exhaust port holes that that happens to (thats why the factory uses studs at the front and rear exhaust port holes) the valve cover bolt is odd, but i wouldnt morry about it. just buy some studs and stud he holes (much better than the bolts anyways) they did lighten alot of the castings on the 73 and newer engines, so thats probrably what happened ,they just broke into the water jacket. i wouldint worry one bit..........

Yes, had the same problem here, pulled the head and was able to push a bicycle spoke through the valve cover bolt hole and out a water passage at the bottom of the head. IIRC mine was the 2nd hole from the end, bottom edge.

As suggested earlier, I just installed studs with some sealant and problem solved.

All the exhaust bolt holes on my 516 heads go into the water jacket, but I never knew that the valve cover holes went into the water jacket. Learn something every day!

-
Back