Any advice before I take the plunge?

-

thesnafu72

Reaction score
SO I have been working on this car for over 8 years now and it is finally time to put the engine back together. I have done a very good job of keeping all the parts from the entire car intact and organized but I can't believe it.. I have lost the main caps. I have gone so far with this build I can almost smell the wind as I drive the Dart on the street for the first time in almost a decade.. I don't know whether I should find myself a salvagable 318 and start over or just buy a new longblock and add on what parts I have amassed for it. Any advice before I take the plunge?

DON"T GET MARRIED! That's my advice, oh wait you're talking about an engine? I suppose it depends on what your building for or what kind of performance you expect. A little more info would be helpful.

LOL too late for that I tied the knot July 2010... In regards to the engine I'm looking for some high compression mild to medium performance..

Is the block good? Just mising caps? Whats the deal? If you have a machined good block, get it line bored, if you have a block, get another block, 318'sa re easy.

Compression canbe gotten from piston selection.

What parts you got?\\

Your being pretty vague.

ok i will do that. i live in southern california... does anyone have any shops to recommend? also... where do i buy the caps ?

Is the current block machined already?

If not, get a different block with caps. Line boring is EXPENSIVE!

Don't know where you are in SoCal, There's some good shops in most areas. A little more specific location would help.

ok i have a stock 72 block
edelbrock performer pro cam & intake manifold
holley 500 4 barrel
headers
new piston rods, no pistons yet
high volume oil pump

Is your block already machined?

If not, I have a 318 block you can HAVE that has caps, pick it up, and it's yours. You could even take it right down the street to Brian at IMM if you wanted to have him do the machine work on it.

I would not have a 318 block line bored because I lost the caps when there are so many still laying around cheap that you can grab. There were 2-3 318 roller blocks out here in the local boneyard not long ago. All got scrapped.

I would look for the caps, they usually don't grow legs and run off anyway..... I mean, serious.

I KNOW, RIGHT ?!

I have been looking and loooking, going through the entire garage, to no avail.. idk i think this block is done for...

cracked back: THANK YOU ! I'd love to come get your block.. What's the story behind it?

Thanks again for your recommendation about a machine shop. That sounds great. I was already going to buy a new set of 3.910" pistons.. do you think I should increase the bore? My goal is 10:1 compression, how would changing that change the compression ratio? i have already bought now rods too. I'm open to any ideas.

After a bit of research I can see that boring WILL indeed increase compression.. how much overbore should i go? Not TOO much but just enough such that i can get at LEAST 10:1.. my heads will also be an issue.. i bought some 360 heads years back at the 2003 spring fling and got them milled down.. i'm not sure the exact amount. the heads themselves are at a buddy's house and who knows when he will ever get around to getting them out of his garage and back to me tho.. i am open to any head suggetions too..

I have three 318's here you could have, not worth shipping though and they are apart. Any body in Florida want to come by and snag one or two? hint, hint. Anyway PM Rob (crackedback) and take your stuff to Brian at IMM. You don't bore an engine to increase the compression ratio although that is an extension of that. You bore an engine to get the cylinders straight and round, then hone it to get the wall finish. There's so much more to this than I can type on this forum. Let Brian at IMM walk you through this and do the machine work. I'm sure he'll answer all your questions.

I have three 318's here you could have, not worth shipping though and they are apart. Any body in Florida want to come by and snag one or two? hint, hint. Anyway PM Rob (crackedback) and take your stuff to Brian at IMM. You don't bore an engine to increase the compression ratio although that is an extension of that. You bore an engine to get the cylinders straight and round, then hone it to get the wall finish. There's so much more to this than I can type on this forum. Let Brian at IMM walk you through this and do the machine work. I'm sure he'll answer all your questions.

I will 2nt the above ^^^^^
and add this
a 10:1 piston will be 10:1 from stock bore to what ever you bore it to.
The piston will set lower in the bore with the larger bore causing the compression ratio to be the same.( more cubic inch but same compression)

-
Back