Any advice for color matching Lagoon Blue interior color?

-

michiganpat

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has a later A body that has a Lagoon Blue interior like my car. 30 years ago, the best color match I could find to paint my faded interior parts was chevy engine blue. with the explosion of paint color choices recently from rustoleum, krylon, etc, I was wondering if anyone has found an easily available off the shelf paint to match for refinishing interior parts, as mine are starting to look a little sad again. looking on the SEM website, the 2 blues I saw were way too dark. VHT dark satin blue might be relatively close, has anyone used it?

1712238403808.png

My advice is find a pro paint store with an old time employee. Many times they have access to color charts from back in the day.
Also, get the SEM color chart, they have a lot of choices too.

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has a later A body that has a Lagoon Blue interior like my car. 30 years ago, the best color match I could find to paint my faded interior parts was chevy engine blue. with the explosion of paint color choices recently from rustoleum, krylon, etc, I was wondering if anyone has found an easily available off the shelf paint to match for refinishing interior parts, as mine are starting to look a little sad again. looking on the SEM website, the 2 blues I saw were way too dark. VHT dark satin blue might be relatively close, has anyone used it?

View attachment 1716231351

Try here.

About Us-Kolor Korrect Custom Paint & Vinyl Dye For Classic Cars

My advice is find a pro paint store with an old time employee. Many times they have access to color charts from back in the day.
Also, get the SEM color chart, they have a lot of choices too.
We used to have a store called Finishmaster here that would custom mix aerosol spray cans, but they must've gone out of business around Covid.....SEM has a surprisingly small choice when it comes to blue, unfortunately. Pacific looks the closest, but way too dark...this snapshot from Legendary is a pretty decent representation of what my door panels look like
1712246626630.png

1712246510174.jpeg

Dulpi color???? maybe
I doubt you will get a perfect match UNLESS you go to a pro store like PPG and get it custom mixed and spray it with a GUN. It is what it is

We used to have a store called Finishmaster here that would custom mix aerosol spray cans, but they must've gone out of business around Covid.....SEM has a surprisingly small choice when it comes to blue, unfortunately. Pacific looks the closest, but way too dark...this snapshot from Legendary is a pretty decent representation of what my door panels look like
View attachment 1716231425

View attachment 1716231424

Just a note...

If you are pre-finishing vinyl, you have to be very careful of what type of paint you use on it. Some laquer paints can actually deform the vinyl coverings.

Use products specifically formulated for plastics/vinyls.

Just a note...

If you are pre-finishing vinyl, you have to be very careful of what type of paint you use on it. Some laquer paints can actually deform the vinyl coverings.

Use products specifically formulated for plastics/vinyls.
well, I painted all the faded hard plastic parts (door tops, A pillar trim, kick panels, seat end caps) back in '91, like i said with engine enamel. I am hoping to find or get mixed some for vinyl, as my headrests are in great shape, except the outside 1/3 is severely discolored from the sun.

well, I painted all the faded hard plastic parts (door tops, A pillar trim, kick panels, seat end caps) back in '91, like i said with engine enamel. I am hoping to find or get mixed some for vinyl, as my headrests are in great shape, except the outside 1/3 is severely discolored from the sun.

Just a "heads up" as I've done a lot of this.

You will want to try a small section first if the plastic part was previously painted with enamel.

You also have two different materials you are refinishing, vinyl and plastic.

Enamel and laquer do not play well with each other so make sure to be aware of the type of paint you are using.

Here is the color chart from Herb's. This is the correct paint to use.

https://www.herbsparts.com/documents/HerbsParts_InteriorPaintColorChart.pdf

Last edited:
yep, and that's the bummer....all the places I've looked only have the older colors and they're metallic. for comparison, here's a screencap of Legendary's website for my car, actual color is closer to the pic of the door panels than the color swatch, about halfway between herb's 1177 & 1179, and it's not metallic....

1712323883300.png

yep, and that's the bummer....all the places I've looked only have the older colors and they're metallic. for comparison, here's a screencap of Legendary's website for my car, actual color is closer to the pic of the door panels than the color swatch, about halfway between herb's 1177 & 1179, and it's not metallic....

View attachment 1716231852
Ok, try this.

Contact Legendary and see if they will send you a color swatch sample of Lagoon Blue.

Then, send the color swatch to these guys and ask them to blend you a special paint mix to match.

Ok, try this.

Contact Legendary and see if they will send you a color swatch sample of Lagoon Blue.

Then, send the color swatch to these guys and ask them to blend you a special paint mix to match.

they said they were going to see if they can color match it because there are components unavailable for the original formula. they were significantly more expensive than the others, though...$85 for a 12oz aerosol can....

they said they were going to see if they can color match it because there are components unavailable for the original formula. they were significantly more expensive than the others, though...$85 for a 12oz aerosol can....
I'm not surprised for a custom color.

Probably have to do several spray outs and reformulations to get it close.

-
Back