Any bad things about the 2005-2008 Magnum wagons

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a wagon like the old Magnums. Prefer the 2.7 v6 cause it's not a hot rod... :)

Real world experience with fuel economy numbers etc.

How are they for breakdowns or areas of concern?

Thanks

Rob

the 2.7 is a pig. go 3.5 and you will never regret it. plus i think the 2.7 had sludge issues if i remember correctly.

we had a 07 magnum. nice car when it wasn't at the dealer for repair. owned it from about 17,000 miles to 40,000 miles...

they eat front end parts and brakes. ours needed tie rods, brakes/rotors, shifter,fuel pumps and quite a few other things that i forget its been so long ago now all before 40,000 miles. the 3.5 ran great. nice road car but damn what a pile of crap. traded that ***** in on a used camry and never looked back. went from always having to pick the magnum up at the dealer because something else was screwed up to only ever having routine maintenance done on the camry. so much more piece of mind knowing jamie and rylee as an infant were in a relaible car.

Yes that 2.7 was a grease monkey inside! Was it a bad PCV system or what, but you see loads of them just coked up the nose when you pulled the front case. That era of Dodges was plagued with QC issues. I only had Chryco minivans from that era and they were great but I heard the cars, not so much. My 2007 and 2014 minivans both needed rotors during their lives with us.

LOL I have a camry now... ugh
I had an 08 magnum r/t for a while and an 08 charger r/t. Both were fun cars and both had the Hemi. I didn’t see any of the issues a body joe had but I am aware that they can be hard on front end parts. Both off mine had at or over 100k when I had them. I would stay away from the 2.7 as others suggested. My 08 charger had the ac evap core starting to leak but I sold it as is and the buyer knew. The hemis are fun if maintained properly.

Toyotas suck.
I'd say Toyotas are boring, but are great commuters. Boring in the fact that they always work. Reminds me that I need to fix the dash gear indicator lights on my 92 SC400......

To clarify, Toyotas have sucked trillions out of the United States economy over the years.
The profits go to Japan.
Funny how folks yell MAGA and drive Japanese cars.... Hypocritic??
Hey,guys, just an issue with me.
What really gets me is veterans that drive them. I just don't get it.

I'm PRO USA...

Ok, this was a thread about Magnums... Back on track...

Toyota and other foreign make have put food on the plates of many many Americans. Hell some of those jap cars are more American then a freaking American cars. Wake up man. Do you really think if you buy a so called American car (mexico and Canada isn't America) the money stays here? If ya do I have some swamp land to sell you.

The Magnums were awesome. Still miss my 08. Honestly I would stay from the 2.7 and the 3.5 unless the price is right. The 3.5 and the 5.7 are close in miles per gallon. Just got to stay out of the gas. The 2.7 is not worth your money unless its going to be a cheap shop car.

And my Camry was bought second hand so how did that money end up in Japan? Got a great deal on it from a good friend. It's been a rock solid car for 10 years and is 20ish years old. Yeah it's not the coolest piece, gets me from A to B.

One of the guys I know that had a Magnum said it was great AFTER all the factory front end parts were changed out. He didn't have a front end issue with his after that. The hemi did drop a valve seat though!

Toyota and other foreign make have put food on the plates of many many Americans. Hell some of those jap cars are more American then a freaking American cars. Wake up man. Do you really think if you buy a so called American car (mexico and Canada isn't America) the money stays here? If ya do I have some swamp land to sell you.
You need to increase your knowledge of the subject.

I've seen SRT8 Magnum wagons and would like to have one just for grins

One auto write described them as a casket on wheels - and I thing they look cool

I hate to say it but they someday some of us may be wishing we had one...

Popular as a Tri 5 Nomad?

Who knows

I guess somebody has to get the bad ones, no matter what brand or model. Even 99% good means 1% bad. I have had my 06 R/T for 7 years now and have replaced one set of tires and replaced pads and rotors all the way around. And not because either were worn out. I like to keep the safety items in better than average shape. If they started making them again, they were sell a ton of them. Especially with the new non Mercedes suspensions and drivetrains. I am on the lookout for an 08 SRT. They upgraded the 08 models in many ways and then discontinued them. Not because of any problems, just that at that time there were problems between Chrysler/Mercedes management on who was boss. Company was sold again shortly afterwards. The Challenger was released on the same assembly line and cost to restart production wasn't in the cards then. Sad that there are no real station wagons sold anymore.SUV's have killed the market for a while.
I real problem is with all 2003-2008 5.7 With valve seat problems. An upgraded set of heads takes care of that. 2.7 = junk. 3.5 fair power only marginally better mileage than the 5.7 with MDS. Big difference in performance.
Go 5.7 . The prices on them are down right cheap. Plentiful under 5K.

Last edited:
I'd say Toyotas are boring, but are great commuters. Boring in the fact that they always work. Reminds me that I need to fix the dash gear indicator lights on my 92 SC400......
So true, my Toyota truck is boring and extremely gutless, so bad the first time my wife drove it, she said she was waiting for the power to kick in.
I guess when they have no power, they do not break parts.
But I will sacrifice that to haul my moper parts, and get 28 mpg, vs my Rams 10 mpg.

First new car I bought Kitty was an 02 Corolla. That little beeotch knocked down 46 MPG on a regular basis and had lots of power. It had the variable valve timing DOHC 4 cyl. It was a really nice little car. Ended up trading it on her 04 Escape.....and the Escape has been the best car we've ever owned.

You need to increase your knowledge of the subject.

The 2005 F-Series pickup truck is assembled in Kansas City, Missouri, and Dearborn, Michigan, was up to 90% parts sourced in USA, but lately just 55 percent of parts were made in the U.S. or Canada! More than 15 percent of its parts come from Mexico.
Chrysler says about 61 percent of the components it uses for its Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep lines come from the U.S.
Chrysler's Ram 1500 pickup's 70 percent domestic content.....GM, meanwhile, builds its Chevy Camaro in Canada and its GMC Sierra pickup in Mexico. All these numbers span a number of years but 75% is a goal that Cars.com has used to rate the most made in America cars and light trucks.

For the past several years, the No. 1 vehicle has been the Toyota Camry, which is built in Kentucky and Indiana. Among the criteria for a vehicle to make the AMI is that it must have at least 75 percent domestic parts content. The Tundra built in San Antonio, TX has 75% North American parts content. All motor and transmissions are made in USA. Now how much of that Toyota USA profit filters back to Japan is unknown, but there are plenty of home grown line workers, mid and upper level managers and executives sucking millions out of Toyota, Japan.

-
Back