Any benefit to 10” wheel?

-

MomsDuster

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to mounting these to a 10” wheel vs an 8” ?

IMG_9408.jpeg

Yes. If you have room, and have the right backspace, those tires will like the 10" rim much more than an 8.5.
I have heard of 275s on 12s and 14s on small tire no prep street racers.
I have 315 et radial pros on 12s, but I have a car with room for an 18" section on a 15x14 rim.

I’m curious as to why it’s better. Is it because you are actually using the sidewall as tread or the change in sidewall angle might make the sidewall less rigid vertically? It must take a higher tire pressure?

check out from about the 14:30 point. he has a lot bigger tire and more power but he says the sidewall will react different on the wider rim.. i think a lot of the 275 guys are running wider rims too. i'm no racer so i don't toally understand it but there is aparently something to the wider rim thing..

Different proportion from his tires to yours, but same theory. Check out the video at 19.15 on.
Alters sidewall angle. Most of the guys using wide wheels with 275s have LOTS of power, and the trick is power management, and avoiding tire shake.
His 20"wide rims are wider than the tread on a funny car 17/33x16
A good friend of mine has 275s on 10" rims, cause he couldn't fit any wider rim on his malibu. He has 1200 crank horsepower.

Last edited:
I have a buddy that runs a turbo car down into the 4.50’s on a 275, he runs a 12” wheel. I have them on a 10” wheel on my Dart.

Different proportion from his tires to yours, but same theory. Check out the video at 19.15 on.
Alters sidewall angle. Most of the guys using wide wheels with 275s have LOTS of power, and the trick is power management, and avoiding tire shake.
His 20"wide rims are wider than the tread on a funny car 17/33x16
A good friend of mine has 275s on 10" rims, cause he couldn't fit any wider rim on his malibu. He has 1200 crank horsepower.
So with that being said, do you think there would be any benefit with say 500hp?

It’s very common now in the radial tire world to run a much wider rim than recommended for the tire. Seems it stiffens up the sidewall quite a bit.

Last edited:
Pic for reference.
275/60-15 on 15 x 10 w/5.5” backspace.
I do have the springs moved in to the frame rails.
Ultimately giving a wider footprint than an 8” rim, exactly how much, I do not know.
Good luck with your build!
Share some pics.

149F8B79-5D67-4C78-8C7F-F3B3DCCD0F6C.jpeg

So with that being said, do you think there would be any benefit with say 500hp?
That’s hard to say, you need to have enough power and traction to to start basketballing the tire when the wheel speed isn’t up, to really see a benefit. The question is are you there with 500hp?

Good luck with your build!
Share some pics.
Thanks, let me start with saying that when I started this whole thing my goal was to build an obnoxious cruiser that could be driven all day long. That IMO has been accomplished. That being said, every cruise in, show, or cars and coffee I attend the question is asked, “What does it run?” The answer is “I don’t know, it’s never been on the track.” So I’m preparing to put it on the track and find out.
The particulars:
71 Duster
440 factory forged bottom end
Stealth aluminum heads
Comp Xe275hl cam 1.6 rockers and B3 geometry correction.
Weiand tunnel ram w/2 750dp
727 w/3000 stall
Dana 60 w/3.23 gears
And yes it has a straight axle with a 3” drop.

Super fun to drive and cruise.

Just purchased the tires, and the 10” wheels are on the way. I have a few other things I want to square away then it’s off to the track to find out what it can do.

IMG_8969.jpeg

IMG_9411.jpeg

IMG_9412.jpeg

IMG_9413.jpeg

This is something that I have thought about a bit. As crazy as it sounds, my cars setup really leans towards a radial style. The sidewall of the redline is pretty stiff and a radial car is usually under tired for the power level. I haven’t been able to dynamically test my therory, but I did static contact patch test it. So if changing the sidewall from vertical to slightly angled out helps soften the stiffness won’t pulling the bead in the same amount do the same thing? The difference between pulling it in and pushing it out. You need more tire pressure pushing the bead out and less if you pull it in to maintain the correct contact patch. I inked up a 4.5 inch rim and a 5.5 inch rim with the same tire. I was able to run 18 lbs with the narrow rim to maintain the contact patch and got 1” longer patch. (Only way I can increase it). I had to run 20 lbs in the wide rim to maintain the contact patch, left to right. I haven’t had 4 tires with similar tread depth to be able to test my theory yet.

This is something that I have thought about a bit. As crazy as it sounds, my cars setup really leans towards a radial style. The sidewall of the redline is pretty stiff and a radial car is usually under tired for the power level. I haven’t been able to dynamically test my therory, but I did static contact patch test it. So if changing the sidewall from vertical to slightly angled out helps soften the stiffness won’t pulling the bead in the same amount do the same thing? The difference between pulling it in and pushing it out. You need more tire pressure pushing the bead out and less if you pull it in to maintain the correct contact patch. I inked up a 4.5 inch rim and a 5.5 inch rim with the same tire. I was able to run 18 lbs with the narrow rim to maintain the contact patch and got 1” longer patch. (Only way I can increase it). I had to run 20 lbs in the wide rim to maintain the contact patch, left to right. I haven’t had 4 tires with similar tread depth to be able to test my theory yet.
Interesting thought. You FAST guys should definitely be the ones testing stuff like that.

Here's a set of 275/60 on 12" wheels, going on my sbc powered RX-7...

IMG_1232b.jpg

13.5" section width.

Grant

Thanks, let me start with saying that when I started this whole thing my goal was to build an obnoxious cruiser that could be driven all day long. That IMO has been accomplished. That being said, every cruise in, show, or cars and coffee I attend the question is asked, “What does it run?” The answer is “I don’t know, it’s never been on the track.” So I’m preparing to put it on the track and find out.
The particulars:
71 Duster
440 factory forged bottom end
Stealth aluminum heads
Comp Xe275hl cam 1.6 rockers and B3 geometry correction.
Weiand tunnel ram w/2 750dp
727 w/3000 stall
Dana 60 w/3.23 gears
And yes it has a straight axle with a 3” drop.

Super fun to drive and cruise.

Just purchased the tires, and the 10” wheels are on the way. I have a few other things I want to square away then it’s off to the track to find out what it can do.

View attachment 1716247627

View attachment 1716247628

View attachment 1716247629

View attachment 1716247630

F’in right!!! That’s an awesome Duster!
Let ‘er rip!

-
Back