Any cap and ball shooters?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Picked up this 1861 confederate navy replica today and I’m pretty excited to take it out.

BD16CD09-5C3B-4623-81BA-D5808E766B0F.jpeg

Nice. Is that a Confederate version of the 1851 Colt Navy?

They are fun to shoot, I own 2 of them.

Do yourself a favor and study up on them a bit. There are a couple things to be cautious about, as in proper size balls, wadding and proper fitting caps. You don't want chain discharges.

Other than that have a blast. Mine is surprisingly accurate at 20 to 30 yards..

They are fun to shoot, I own 2 of them.

Do yourself a favor and study up on them a bit. There are a couple things to be cautious about, as in proper size balls, wadding and proper fitting caps. You don't want chain discharges.

Other than that have a blast. Mine is surprisingly accurate at 20 to 30 yards..
I agree with this. Make sure you read on how to load them properly.

I have a 1851 Navy Colt. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

Follow the suggestions here and research it before you start shooting. It does take a lot of cleanup when you are done too.

1851NVYColt.jpg

Looks like 44 CAL right above the ram rod hinge.

Mine is just like that and a 44.

One more thing...if you have a squib, don't shrug and try the next cylinder - my buddy did that and turned my 1858 Remington clone into a paperweight about 25 years ago (and, once again, thanks ladies of the First AME Church of Tucson for the buyback that gave me $50 for my paperweight that I used toward another functional firearm that afternoon)

That's true of any firearm. That's bad juju.
Agreed - and my friend knew better, but apparently didn't think the cap would drive the ball about 2/3 of the way down the barrel with a zero-powder-charge in the cylinder...at least the gun only cost $80 back then ;-)

Of course. I had a hang fire on my mind, not a squib.

Is yours a .44?

What bullet are you shooting and do you use the butter stuff?

Yes, .44.

I use a Hornaday .44 cal round lead ball with a lubed patch (Wonder wads) on top of the powder. The balls fit nicely, cutting a nice ring of lead as they are pressed in. No "butter stuff" as the lubed patch should take care of everything. I use 3F real black powder.

A couple decent videos. Note the 5 chambers versus 6 chambers loaded.

Yes, .44.

I use a Hornaday .44 cal round lead ball with a lubed patch (Wonder wads) on top of the powder. The balls fit nicely, cutting a nice ring of lead as they are pressed in. No "butter stuff" as the lubed patch should take care of everything. I use 3F real black powder.

A couple decent videos. Note the 5 chambers versus 6 chambers loaded.

I actually watched those last night. Mine does have the Saftey notches.

The Bore Butter is for barrel use only, it "seasons" the metal. Kinda like seasoning cast iron cookware.

The Bore Butter is for barrel use only, it "seasons" the metal. Kinda like seasoning cast iron cookware.

Well I changed my mind and went back for the Remington style so I can swap cylinders easier. Only problem is the ram rod doesn’t travel deep into the chamber at all so I will need to use a filler. Any recommendations?

989B2E4C-C04B-4B3B-B430-A3C2D0C7F2F5.jpeg

Only problem is the ram rod doesn’t travel deep into the chamber at all

It should travel deep enough to seat the ball on the powder. That is a little different there, but you'll have 30-35 grains of powder, a patch and a .457?...ball. It should pack that, no?

It should travel deep enough to seat the ball on the powder. That is a little different there, but you'll have 30-35 grains of powder, a patch and a .457?...ball. It should pack that, no?

I wasn’t planning on using that big of a load. More like 20 grains but I have serious doubts about it pushing it down far enough to pack. Seems like with the remingtons most guys just carry a spare flask with cream of wheat or corn meal.

-
Back