any chrysler tech's that can answer a question?

-

66plyValiant

Reaction score
2002 Chrysler neon LE, it has a 2.0 4 cylinder with a 4 speed automatic transmissions. recently had monsoon rains for the last few days; car only gets driven a couple times a week

fast forward to today; car won't shift out of first gear; of course its completely electronically controlled

I'm a technician by trade but not specific to any make or model

I checked the trouble codes with a genisus scan tool and came up with the following stored DTC codes

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

throttle position sensor malfunction

transmission pump low pressure threshold

I forget some the trouble code numbers and never thought to write them down first

I was told the input speed sensor and the output speed sensor as well as the shift solenoid pack could be bad, so I changed it all and removed the battery cable to remove codes (only had access to scan tool for a few minutes)

after all this its still not shifting and is in limp mode

anyone have this problem before? I google searched nearly everything I could figure and nothing besides what I replaced

your going to have to put the scanner back on, clear all codes and try driving it again to see what comes back.

your going to have to put the scanner back on, clear all codes and try driving it again to see what comes back.

the TPS sensor is likely a stored code from a wire that needed repair about a month ago; all has been good since then until yesterday/this morning

the MIL comes right back on immediatly after removing battery cable and putting it back on; scanner is a friends and I don't have access to it when I need it

best I can do is retrieve codes from the car via the 5 on-off cycles of the key; it gives most codes but only gives the generic P0700 for the transmission; scan tool is needed to go any further

The key on off cycles are only going to give you the pcm codes the p0700 is just a general trans fault code to turn on the check engine light you are going to need a scan tool to get the actual tcm codes to see what is going on If you need any help once you get the tcm codes just pm me I will get back to you as soon as I can

Auto zone has cheap scan tools for 50 bucks I have one best 50 I ever spent.

Just watch with the cheap scan tools some of the cheap ones only do engine codes and can't access the trans controllers

If you can get it to autozone see if they will clear it for you,tell them you replaced it all and they may do it for you.Then turn the key off then restart it and see if they come back,if they do have them check it again and get the codes.

I'm not sure but I think I may have found the problem....

Attachments

• 2002 neon computer.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 139
If thats the tran control module. You found the problem. No wonder it's throwing all them codes. Never seen one that bad. That last rain tosted it.

does anyone know the transmission computer relearn proceedure? I got it shifting but not properly

I found something about taking the car up to 20 and allowing it to shift then getting it to downshift again with slight throttle pressure, do the same at 30 and 50

is this correct

I'm not sure but I think I may have found the problem....
wow! ive seen a lot of things go wrong, but this takes it. as far as the relearn, it would be best if you could borrow your buddies scan tool again. it will have a quick learn mode in the menu. otherwise you will have to do a lot of 2-1,3-1 4-3,4-2 forced down shifts and i mean alot of them. after a while it should come around if there is nothing else wrong.

wow! ive seen a lot of things go wrong, but this takes it. as far as the relearn, it would be best if you could borrow your buddies scan tool again. it will have a quick learn mode in the menu. otherwise you will have to do a lot of 2-1,3-1 4-3,4-2 forced down shifts and i mean alot of them. after a while it should come around if there is nothing else wrong.

I was talking to a local chrysler tech; he said he should be able to get chryslers scan tool for tuesday night and that should take care of it

as far as the computer top rusting out I have seen it before but not very often; canada is really hard on any metal parts

-
Back