any dakota guru's? i have some questions

-

discharger1332

Reaction score
has anybody swapped a v8 into a 3.9 v6 dakota? or does anybody here know this 3.9 motor?
I know it is basically a 318 missing 2 cylinders but have never owned one, is it worth rebuilding? or beter to just put a 318 in there?
I scored a 90 dakota 5 speed 4x4 3.9 v6 with a bad motor. can this trans handle the 318 or 360?
what other mods are necesary?
thanx for any help or info. i think it will be a good truck either way, i need to dig in and see what is going on, it may not even need a motor...

My buddy did it, the motor is a drop in. Now wiring,ECU, and a bunch of other stuff is a different story. He ended up have to hire someone to get it straitened out, but it is doable.

<'91You would have to do what Shelby did, mod the front for elec.pusher fans and I believe there may have been more, rad offset? Anyway, the 3.9 is a fine engine, and rebuilds
with the same parts as the same year 5.2 except the obvious crank/heads/etc. . Valves, pistons rings, bearings, t-chain etc all common, depends on what you're doing with it.
Mine has 145K on it, it is an '87 1st year, and the only carb.'d Dak they made. '88 & up 3.9's were TBI 'til the magnums. I have only replaced the valve cover gaskets &
removed the EGR to check the crossover for carbon, the eng. has never been apart. I've been using Rotella T6 5W-40 full syn, for the last 7 yrs. in it, I don't baby it.... I'd like to
give it a refresh. The MC solenoid in the carb is junk, and finding a new one..............but it has givin' Me over 23mpg combined driving when I was trying to max it. The '91-
'92 started w/the curved nose & more room to put the V8, and they were had w/the 5spd, but given the motor mount placement you may want a donor tk for a swap.

I've never swapped one for the other, but I've owned several 3.9L's over the years.
I've had terrific luck with them. Usually any issues were crank and cam sensors taking a dump. Always replace in pairs. I've found that using aftermarket sensors wouldn't sync and you'll still either have a no start or timing will be way out. What's the current issue now?

I'd say "Lack of power" is the issue and I would certainly agree. I know first hand because I have a similar urge to swap out my V6 for a 5.9 in my '03 4X4 Dakota quad cab.

I've never swapped one for the other, but I've owned several 3.9L's over the years.
I've had terrific luck with them. Usually any issues were crank and cam sensors taking a dump. Always replace in pairs. I've found that using aftermarket sensors wouldn't sync and you'll still either have a no start or timing will be way out. What's the current issue now?
not sure yet, my buddy said it was over heating so he limped it home, next time he tried to start it it sounded like something metal broke so he left it alone. the scrapper only offered him 35$ for the truck so he said he would sell it to me for 36$ i have to get it towed to my house so i can dig in and see what is going on. he also said it was smoking real bad, so i'm not sure what to expect. he does not know anything about cars so who knows.

If all you are after is a good truck for minimum money, swap a used V6 into it. I bet they are cheap and easy to find. That way you would have no wiring problems. If, on the other hand, you want power, that is a different story.

i have access to small blocks cheap or free is why i asked. I just was looking into options before i get to far. so i have not found any local v6's for it but im sure they are out there.

That a535 5 speed is a pos. I went through a few of them. The swap is easy if you vo carburetor.

I can tell you that the electronics are going to be a PIA. It's not impossible, but not sure if it's really worth it. 1990 Dakota's were only available with 2.5L & 3.9L so a PCM would have to come from something newer.
Then there's the cost to convert to a carb engine and bypass the electronics, will the truck be worth the cost and effort.
I would search car-part.com and look for another 3.9L. The upside they're not terribly expensive, the downside, they're not V8's. They're not dogs, but if you're going to go with a 3.9L it's best to put a 5 speed behind it. An automatic will disappoint you.

We have a 94 - V6, Auto. Bought it at 14,000 miles, and currently it has 108,000 miles on it, -- Zero problems - It has been a good little truck.
C.J.'s Truck.jpg

A V8 isn't even close to a drop-in on a '90 and down front end Dak, hope the parts tk works out for you. Hell, for what you picked that '90 up for, you couldn't go wrong
buying a running salvage yard motor if it comes w/a std 30-60 day warranty.

so the parts truck is an automatic, does anybody know wheather or not i will need to machine the crank for a pilot bearing?

I had a v6 3.9 a 318 dakota and a 4.7 dakota.
Stick with the 318 motor. Reliable as can be. The 3.9 was ok but sucked for power.
The 318 dakota would beat up on those pesky fox body 5.0 mustangs

so the parts truck is an automatic, does anybody know wheather or not i will need to machine the crank for a pilot bearing?
Parts catalog only lists one P/N for a crank. There is a P/N for pilot brg in group 6, 4338876. Neither has trans specific code.
You should be good to go, there isn't a identifier for auto or man trans on the blocks either.

Well its been years sice i had a dak But i dont know what kinda power yalls wanting outta the little motor but my old swb reg cab had enough power to get you into truble . It would swing the *** out when ever i wanted it to and do burn outs and just cuz trouble was it winin any drag races no i got beat by almost every thing. But if you make it look mean you can fool alot of folks i made a evo with nos use his bottle one time that was funny when i got back up to him at the gas pumps he asked what i had in it . I lifed the hood showed him a wore out 3.9 he liked to **** his pants that he used the bottle on the little truck lol

27631570156_large.jpg

15622619_1545789158781436_5034860438145998853_n.jpg

27631570416_large.jpg

-
Back