Any Dart swingers Pics w/ a less traditional scoop?

-

Criscobath

Reaction score
I'm in the market to modify or replace my hood and don't want the same old HEMI or 6-pack scoops.

I'm thinking Thunderbolt style teardrop or cowl induction.

Any thoughts or images to share?

Cowl hoods are semi popular non stock hoods. I also like the early max wedge hood scoops. They are cool looking and can be purchased easy enuff.

The MoPar "Pro Stock" hood scoop from the 70's is something I like alot as well. They come in different sizes. The large one is about the hoods liength while the shorty or mini fits in the center well.

These guys have alot of different fiberglass scoops for many makes and universal types. IDK about quality.

http://up22.com/scoopw1.htm

I wouldn't put a Ford scoop on a Mopar. Always looks funny to me.

Here are some I found on Google.

ccrp_1007_04_o+kevin_hunts+1970_dodge_dart.jpg

1970-dodge-dart-pro-street-rod.jpg

16027-1972-Dodge-Dart.jpg

P1010010.JPG

I'm sort of an odd fellow. I plan on doing some top speed events (TX Mile, etc.) in the coming years and want something kinda arrow. That's what has me leaning toward the teardrop.

The Ford teardrop from the '60s isn't a true air intake scoop, but rather clearance for the high-rise intake/carburetors/intake hoses used on the Thunderbolts and Galaxies back then. Cold outside air was drawn in from the inside headlight location through 6"-diameter hoses to an airbox over the carbs.

View attachment Headlight_intake_grill.jpg

True, there were holes in back of the teardrops but they were more to let hot underhood air out rather than draw cooler outside air in. The openings on the back of the teardrops were too far from the high-pressure air area at the base of the windshield.

View attachment Dual_intake_pipes.jpg

If you want to draw cooler outside air in from the high-pressure air location at the base of the windshield, you'd be better off running a Chevy-type cowl induction scoop or blocking your interior air boxes and just plumbing hoses from the cowl of your A-body to an airbox on the carb.

Here is my swinger, I would say non traditional lol

Attachments

• Mopar True Street Challenge 2011 #2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,029
-
Back