any downfalls of a shorty oil filter??

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have the 90 degree oil adapter on my 340 and it is leaking because the gasket that seals it to the block got pinched...i was thinking of ordering the new gasket kit for it from the dealer, but i also hear alot of talk about shorty oil filters...i was wondering, does having a smaller filter affect performance? filtering capabilities? etc... i was thinking maybe its just better to go with a shorter filter to start with (i think i found some fram numbers for this, but if you guys want to share them again so i can double check i wouldnt mind)...curious to hear your opinions on this

thanks!
Matthew

The short filter won't harm anything and if you decide to run headers it might be required. The Fram number for the 340 is PH43.

The short filter won't harm anything and if you decide to run headers it might be required. The Fram number for the 340 is PH43.

And if you want a really small filter, you can use the Fram PH3614. It came on the K-cars with the 2.2 engine. And if people tell you that's too small of a filter, just change it more often. When I worked in a shop back in the late 80's, we had a customer with a K-car. He would always have us put on a PH43 instead. So the filters do interchange.

Wylde1.

hey guys thanks for the info and part numbers, but i have a few more questions

is it true that 340's came from the factory with the 90 degree adapter? because im thinking if i want to run a short filter im going to need the straight adapter, and im not sure i have that or what the part number is to get one (or the cost for that matter)

I run headers and the 90 degree adaptor with no issues, and a long filter. A straight adaptor might not give you enough room either (towards the frame)

I run headers and the 90 degree adaptor with no issues, and a long filter. A straight adaptor might not give you enough room either (towards the frame)

i personally think that running the bigger filter with the 90 would be better for filtering myself (less filter changes) but i read that the 90 degree adapters really choke oil flow (not sure how true that is) and i thought while im at it pricing out the gasket kit for the 90 mine as well see what i need to run a shorty straight filter...
all good info so far thanks guys!8)

I ran a short WIX filter for years on my daily driver with a 360 and never had any problems, run the biggest filter you can fit but please DO NOT USE A FRAM OIL FILTER THEY ARE ****!

You can modify the adapter to flow better. There are several artictles on this.
I'm sure that you can do these quite easily with a drill. Like 360 Scamp says, Frams are crap. I run K&N on my Dakota, and a Mopar filter on my Dart.

why are Frams no good?????
I keep hearing/reading that - I never get any hard data when I ask for it, but it's usually the same people that keep telling me my engine will blow up if I don't use Amsoil.....

Fram oil filters are all I have ever used and I have never had a problem....

You can modify the adapter to flow better. There are several artictles on this.
I'm sure that you can do these quite easily with a drill. Like 360 Scamp says, Frams are crap. I run K&N on my Dakota, and a Mopar filter on my Dart.

do you know where i can find these articles? are they hear or in magazines/ on another site?

in regards to fram, i dont think i have one on there now, but what is so bad about them? thats pretty much all the local auto parts store stocks anyways:munky2:

Lots of oil filter tests are on-line. Do a search, read and you will never use a fram again.

The $3.00 you save on a poor filter is not worth is.

I heard that the Frams have a valve problem,either by-passing the filter, or causing restriction, not sure which. You will have to research, I know it was in Mopar Muscle, maybe try their archives. I'm going out to look at my spare. Maybe I can figure out some better flow.

I went and looked at my adapter, and the engine block, and it doesn't look like it's restricted too bad. If you are worried, you could touch it up with a die grinder, but you would need to do the block also. It looks just as restricted. I think a good filter would be more important than worrying about the adaptor.

Fram oil filters are all I have ever used and I have never had a problem....

This is misleading…. For example….. Lets say an engine goes 100,000 miles before needing a rebuild using a Fram and its poor filtering ability.

The same engine may have went 130,000 miles with a quality filter.

So when you say "Never had a problem" its because noticing the slow destruction of bearings and machined surfaces is not as easy or as evident as catastrophic failure.

frams run a paper filter, which breaks down quickly. k&n ain't much better then fram. The best is Napa gold/WIX(they come from the same plant)

When I worked in a shop(mid 80's to mid 90's) we only had fram filters. Never seen an oil related problem in those years of using fram filters. One customer had a big 1977 Oldsmobile. I think it had a 400 in it. He had the shop do all his maintenance. When I left the speedo had passed the 400,000 mark and had never been rebuilt. I know that's only one example. Use whatever makes you happy. Search http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ for info on filters.

Wylde1.

I have herd these Fram story's for years, maybe they are true or maybe not........

My 340 and been running and a live for OVER 15 year and the first 7 years it was a daily driver. I drove it to the race track(60+ miles, each way) every other week end during each the summer.

then in 2003 and 2004 i chased point, trying to see how well i could place.
Which meant that i, not only, didn't miss one race but also was racing at the bigger Fri-Sat races.

Also taking advantages of all the test and tunes that they offered.

In 03 i place 17th and in 04 i made 4th place!

Why? did i tell you all of this! Because it was all done on a FRAM FILTER.
Some times they were the shorty filter and some time were the long filters.

And in 2010 that motor, although, it is a trailer Queen now, is still alive and running!!!!!!!!!
Aka 3.91 when to 4.56's and street tires when to 10" slicks.

Maybe i just change my oil to often for the fram filter to be a problem:cheers:

Not much to do with a 90* oil filter but is my 2 C

hey guys thanks for all the info on filters...it looks like im just gonna run the 90 degree since i dont have the straight adapter in the first place...as far as fram goes, thats all my parts store sells, so i guess im gonna have to go to napa and get it cross referenced for one of theirs if they are that much better

oh wait i just saw that link crackedback posted...i think i might be going with one of those guys maybe....not sure which part number would be best suited to my combo though...i want one to fit with the 90 but have real good filter characteristics

Have any of you guys ever seen a display at the auto parts store showing the insides of a Fram and other filters? After seeing the construction I wouldn't use a Fram on my lawnmower. I wish I could find the website that had extensive tests done by a fellow on several different brands of filters. Things like how small the particle could be and still pass through the filter, burst pressure, bypass valve operation, filter capacity, restriction, and other tests were done. The Wix filters were right at the top of the performance category and the Fram was at the bottom. There were some other good filters too. If I remember right Purolator and Baldwin were good also.

Back to the OP's question. A small filter doesn't hold as much crap before plugging up but if the engine is in good condition and you keep the oil changed regular it shouldn't be a issue.

I found the link to the article. Here ya go

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html

I ran a short WIX filter for years on my daily driver with a 360 and never had any problems, run the biggest filter you can fit but please DO NOT USE A FRAM OIL FILTER THEY ARE ****!

he beat me to it....the short filter is fine but DO NOT use FRAM filters, they are absolute junk. I have always also ran WIX and they are great filters....both oil and air filters.

Frams have valve problems bypassing the filter....so basically your oil won't get filtered. And even when working correctly they don't have as good of a filter as a Wix. Friend of mine works at Napa, one day out of bordom they cut apart a Fram, Wix, Napa, and K&N oil filter. I guess the inside of the K&N didn't look much better than the Fram, but the Wix and Napa brand filters were about identical.

Have any of you guys ever seen a display at the auto parts store showing the insides of a Fram and other filters? After seeing the construction I wouldn't use a Fram on my lawnmower. I wish I could find the website that had extensive tests done by a fellow on several different brands of filters. Things like how small the particle could be and still pass through the filter, burst pressure, bypass valve operation, filter capacity, restriction, and other tests were done. The Wix filters were right at the top of the performance category and the Fram was at the bottom. There were some other good filters too. If I remember right Purolator and Baldwin were good also.

Back to the OP's question. A small filter doesn't hold as much crap before plugging up but if the engine is in good condition and you keep the oil changed regular it shouldn't be a issue.

I found the link to the article. Here ya go

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html

that was the other good one. I believe it's Wix that builds Napa filters and Baldwin builds Purolators, and Fleetguard(cummins). Baldwin is also a leading filter in manufacturing, I'm a machinist and the majority of machinery in my trade has a baldwin filter on the hydraulic system. Personally I go with what is most used where production counts. be assured that nobody in manufacturing would be throwing farm filters on important machinery.

-
Back