any downfalls of a shorty oil filter??

-
hey guys,

i appreciate all the filter advice! have looked through all these tests and have come to the conclusion that the wix stuff seems to be the best bang for the buck so i will probably be picking up some of those for when i change the oil in the car before she goes out this spring.

as far as the adapter for the 90 goes, does anybody have the article on porting that or its supposed bad flow? is it worth it to just change to a straight adapter now since im going to be buying a gasket kit for the 90 anyways? anybody have a part number for the straight filter adapter?

thanks so much so far guys! lots of great info being passed around!

I personally had a fram filter on my dakota that failed about 1k after the oil change. I was driving home from work and lost oil presure. I quick shut down and pulled of the road. Popped the hood and looked at the oil level and for leaks-nothing wrong so I fired it back up had pressure so I took back off and about a mile down the road lost pressure again. I turnd motor off and coasted for a ways and started it back up and made it a couple more miles before I lost pressure again. Made it home by starting and stopping. Once home I put a mechanical gauge on it and after running for a few minutes it lost pressure. The oil was still clean so I had a spare filter (perolater) and I put that on and never had a pressure problem again. I have not used a fram filter sence. So I don't know if it was an isolated failure or what but I just stay away from fram and if I buy a diffrent brand I always look in the filter to make sure the baypass spring (flat metal strip in bottom of filter) is made of metal. So far have not had another filter failure.

hey guys,

i appreciate all the filter advice! have looked through all these tests and have come to the conclusion that the wix stuff seems to be the best bang for the buck so i will probably be picking up some of those for when i change the oil in the car before she goes out this spring.

as far as the adapter for the 90 goes, does anybody have the article on porting that or its supposed bad flow? is it worth it to just change to a straight adapter now since im going to be buying a gasket kit for the 90 anyways? anybody have a part number for the straight filter adapter?

thanks so much so far guys! lots of great info being passed around!
the "adaptor" as far as I know is the same on all smallblocks. run out to a local wrecking yard pull the filter and use a 3/8th's drive to pull the threaded part that holds the filter. Todd them in our pocket and go find some other stuff.

Wix is the way to go most definately.... hold a wix in your hand and hold a fram in the other, the wix weighs more. i worked at a parts store for a couple years(not napa or auto value) and i used to get yelled at all the time because i wasnt selling enough fram filters. i always go with a mopar filter or a wix, period. the fram uses cardboard endcaps on the element that are glued together. wix/napa gold use metal endcaps on the element and waaaayyyyy more better bypass valves, since ours are in the filter not the block. Fram used to be made by allied signal made in the usa. now honeywell owns them and everything is mexico junk. i had a fram go bad on my truck and smoke 2 rod bearings, ill post pics of the filter.:read2:
ph8= 51515 wix or 1515 napa gold(big block style)Height: 5.178 Outer Diameter: 3.660

ph43/ph16= 51085 wix, 1085 napa gold, or mo-090 mopar(dodge ram style)Height: 3.790 Outer Diameter Top: 3.660

ph3614= 51348 wix or 1348 napa gold(short skinny k car style)Height: 3.404 Outer Diameter Top: 2.921

ph3600= 51516 wix or 1516 napa gold(long skinny)Height: 4.828 Outer Diameter Top: 2.921

-
Back