Any easy ways to ID a SB head?

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what heads are in my new purchase, it's a 360 motor. Any easy ID giveaways? I tried looking for casting #'s but didnt see any. (I know they are there somewhere) Trying to figure it out before I tear it down.

and some easy ones for the heads seem to like are if you can find an X or J between the number 2 and 4 sparkplugs and betwen 5 and 7 ....

Early heads have a letter cast into the head by the spark plugs.
Later heads have the number cast onto the intake runner. Sometimes right under the valve cover. Sometimes under the runner up by the intake. A mirror may be used to see the numbers if the grease isn't to bad. (The intake must be off to see.

J heads are most of the time early 360 heads or late 340 heads using 1.88intake valves and 1.60 exhaust valves, have heard that they can also bee machined as 340 transam heads wich are quite rare, the J heads are good heads and will flow just as good as a set of X heads if you install the bigger 2.02 intake valves:)

Now I'm curious... I was told that this was a good motor and was built for racing. Maybe I'll be lucky and it will have the 2.02's. I was told that this motor will spin 8000, (nervous to take it that high) 6500 didnt seem to be a problem :)

my J heads with 2.02 intake valves and a pretty big port jobb will let my 340 spinn to 8000rpm with no problem;)

Yep, those be "J" heads.

have heard that they can also bee machined as 340 transam heads wich are quite rare,
I just want to say that you can't take them J heads and turn them into the T/A 6bbl heads. Unless you can weld the pushrod area up and move it over.

Eric S86 havent tried yet but i will give it a try as soon as my local race track opens;)

rumblefish360 sorry what i tried to pint out whas just that that they could have been mashined as T/A 6bbl heads from the factory,,, forgot to mention the fact that it takes alot to turn them into that...

No problem here. I just didn't want someone reading this to think it was easy to do that.

the j@x heads share the same intake and exhaust runners that what's mopar bible tell's me but the j heads have 1.88 valves on the intake most of the time but i have seen them with 2.02 valves.

rumblefish360 said:
No problem here. I just didn't want someone reading this to think it was easy to do that.

you are right, that was a good thing to point out! i go over old post all the time to se if i can find the information i need befor starting a new thread :)
you are real good at coming up with good information keep it up :salut:

-
Back