Any Good Methods ?

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
I finally got around to taking a look inside the gas tank from my duster that I pulled off a month ago. It had about half a tank of old varnished gas inside for years. The inside is just scaled with deposits of rust, varnish, and various other crap. My question you y'all is, what is a good method to remove all of this? Any type of cleaner? thanks for any help !!

Aaron

Im not sure about in your area,but here,i carry them to my local radiator shop to get boiled out.They always come back looking like new when done.Im not sure what they use,as far as chemicals,but they are very shiny inside and out when i pick them up.The local guy here even has a way to shoot some compressed air in them to pop dents out,unless there too dented.Just a thought for ya

Same here,carry it to radiator shop.They will boil it out in vat.

The worst mistake would be spilling some of that rotten fuel in the wifes car or anywhere for that matter. You'll never get rid of the odor. Please dispose properly.
Have you considered a new reproduction tank ?

On my 1970 Duster I had a radiator shop boil out the tank.It didnot get all of the deposit out of the tank.I thought about a reproduction tank but the fuel capacity was different than mine.In talking to my body man he mentioned a vendor who was servicing gas tanks.He uses a three step process in recondition a gas tank.To begin with he uses acid base to boil out the tank.The last step after the tank is cleaned he puts a coating on the inside of the tank.That what i had done to my Dusters gas tank.A gas tank can be shipped ,but you would have rinse it to remove the gas fumes.If your interested the business is called Nor-Cal Metal Stripping the phone number is 800-698-9470 or 707-838-9470.He is located in Windsor,ca.If you give him a call he can tell you how to ship a gas tank. Maybe there is some one in your area who can do the same thing?In May of 2007 the cost was around 200. plus shipping.

#1: Dispose of old gas.
#2: lay tank flat in driveway and drive over it many times with truck
#3: Put in garbage can
#4: Order new tank...Your engine deserves it!

Well as good as it sounds in getting a new tank, I'm not sure if that will happen anytime soon, as for I have little to no money in my pockets lol. After hearing about a radiator shop boiling it out, it sounds like a good idea to me. I've never thought about doing that. I guess i'll hit the radiator shop up this week hopefully.

Put a couple a 3 gallons of gas in it an throw it in the back of your pickup an drive around for about a week. Then steam clean it out with the hotsie an see what it looks like. Might be good enough depending on how bad it is.

You can also buy this stuff called Kreem at most motorcycle shops to coat the inside of the tank. It even seals small rust pin holes. I used it on my pit scooter's tank and it has worked great for about 5 years now.

I flushed the original tank from my 66 Dart 3 times and installed it and got the car running. Every month I replaced the fuel filter and the gas that came out of the filter was orange and never got better. I diddn't realize how bad the rust inside the tank was until I replaced the sending unit to repair the gas gauge and looked inside with a flashlight. What a mess!! I saved my pennies and this spring I ordered a new tank, 3/8'' sender, 3/8'' line kit and strap from Quanta Products. It installed easily and the car runs great now.
I'm glad I did. toolmanmike

-
Back