any good tech articles on rebuilding 8 3/4

-

valiant360

Reaction score
I got my 8 3/4 taken apart and cleaned up. I have a new 3rd member to install. I have new bearings and inner and outer seals etc. I've already bought the timken tapered bearing so no need in telling me to get the green bearings.
I just need a good article on putting everything together right ie. how to install thrust washer, end play adjustment etc.

thanks, Paul

I'm curious 'bout that too. All's I've done is rebuild the 3rd members and replaced the Timkens w/Green sealed ball bearings. May want to just re-grease the wheel bearings in one of my other cars...

The latest MoparAction also has an excellent article using the Timkens including photos of parts and assembly

Grant

Are your old bearings bad? If lubed correctly, they will last another 40 years. Pack them with MLGI grade 2 EP multi purpose grease. If you must change them, you split the retaining collar with a chisel, grind the inner bearing cone enough to remove the rollers and roller retainer, then press the bearing cone off the axel. You need 2 new retaining collars to install the new bearings. Unless you have the removal/installation tool for the bearings, I don't see how you can do this. If you have some shop do it for you, make sure they grease the axel shaft before pressing on the new bearings for corrosion prevention. Install the new seals with the lip pointed in, so you see the flat side, with a large socket, extension, and hammer. The adjuster goes on the passenger side, so start on the left. Slide the left shaft in being careful of the seal. I put a drum on backwards to act as a counterweight. Start tightening bottom nut on the axel and torque 30-35 ft/lbs. Unscrew the adjuster and install the right axel. Turn the adjuster clockwise until both bearings are seated and there is no end play. Unscrew the adjuster about 4 notches to get .013"-.023" end play. Install the adjuster lock under one of the retaining nuts. Let me know if you need more.

-
Back