Any great cummins diesel guys on here?

-

70duste

Reaction score
hi guys
i have a problem with my 2004.5 325HP dodge ram
Problem is when it is below 50 degrees outside this truck cranks and cranks sometimes it starts but most times it wont,
i have a DRB3 scanner and have checked the following
1. no codes
2. fuel pressure from lift pump 23psi to 30psi while cranking
CP3 pump pressure
1200 psi while cranking
6500 to 6700 while running

4. intake heater is working
5 block heater working
6. no blow by, no smoke when running or starting,no fuel in oil
7 fuel filter changed 800 miles ago and had same problem before changing filter

The truck runs great after getting it started, can drive 5 miles and shut it off for 6 hours it will start with in 3-5 seconds of cranking over
SO this issue is after it sits for 8-12 hours and when its 50 degrees or colder outside,
parts replaced so far are CP3 PUMP,CROSSOVER TUBES,FILTER.
drove it 150 one way A FEW WEEKS AGO AND THE INTAKE HEATER LIGHT CAME ON IN DASH no CHECK ENGINE LITE ON
Code was P 1222 undefined code but youtube says its Excessive fuel return ??
im at a loss here some are saying bad injectors? Really dont want to guess and throw $2800 worth of injectors in this thing
if i plug truck in and batteries are charged it will start after a 5 to 15 seconds of cranking.

any ideas???
thanks for any help

70Duste, I have been presented with this problem in the past, and very recently. 1200 psi cranking from the CP3 is pretty low. I would check the fuel rail pressure relief valve. It is located on the fuel rail just behind where the intake is. It is about 2" tall and fastens directly to the rail. It has a hard fuel line on top secured with a banjo bolt and the line returns back to the fuel filter housing or fuel return system (i believe). Its role is to relieve fuel pressure should it get too high. So to say, fuel should not get by there if all is well. If it has failed, its like having a split hard line to an injector and the system cannot build proper fuel pressure. But.....it is an internal leak. To test, simply loosen the banjo bolt (3/4 or 19mm wrench or socket) on top a couple threads and watch while someone cranks. If you see fuel come out, any fuel, its done. Replace the valve. 5 minute test. This condition could certainly cause your P1222, long crank/intermittent no start. Let us know how it goes.
Chris

70Duste, I have been presented with this problem in the past, and very recently. 1200 psi cranking from the CP3 is pretty low. I would check the fuel rail pressure relief valve. It is located on the fuel rail just behind where the intake is. It is about 2" tall and fastens directly to the rail. It has a hard fuel line on top secured with a banjo bolt and the line returns back to the fuel filter housing or fuel return system (i believe). Its role is to relieve fuel pressure should it get too high. So to say, fuel should not get by there if all is well. If it has failed, its like having a split hard line to an injector and the system cannot build proper fuel pressure. But.....it is an internal leak. To test, simply loosen the banjo bolt (3/4 or 19mm wrench or socket) on top a couple threads and watch while someone cranks. If you see fuel come out, any fuel, its done. Replace the valve. 5 minute test. This condition could certainly cause your P1222, long crank/intermittent no start. Let us know how it goes.
Chris
hi, thanks for the reply, i had one prv on another engine that i swapped to mine and it did not change the no start, but i don't know if that prv was a known good part i swapped. ill check it out tomorrow,by cracking the line while cranking and see if i have fuel coming out.
thanks

Whats the milage on this truck? Did it have a "K n N" type air filter on it? The 5.9 and the 6.7 head and or block frequent my shop for some form of failure every week.

Will it fire right off with a quick shot of ether when it is below 50° air temp.

If it fires right off with ether, could be telling you it's a fuel problem.

Are you using the Winter Mix diesel fuel blend (#1)?

☆☆☆☆☆

No worries. If I remember correctly, the fuel pressure while cranking should be in the 3000-3500 psi for start up. Your running pressure is spot on. Good luck. Let us know.
Chris

Whats the milage on this truck? Did it have a "K n N" type air filter on it? The 5.9 and the 6.7 head and or block frequent my shop for some form of failure every week.
185000 miles yes it has a k&n filter, its a 5.9 auto 4x4 3500 ram

Will it fire right off with a quick shot of ether when it is below 50° air temp.

If it fires right off with ether, could be telling you it's a fuel problem.

Are you using the Winter Mix diesel fuel blend (#1)?

☆☆☆☆☆
hi, i have not used ether to try and start it, yes i use the blended fuel and have not had any problems with jelling.
this weekend i put a new heater grid in on saturday sunday morning it was 30 degrees ,truck was not plugged in and it cranked for20 seconds and started up, i was surprised!

ok guys
i did some more testing and found if i block off fuel lines to injectors individually
when i get to number 4 injector the truck starts like it should.when its blocked off
so im trying to decide on what injector kits to buy????
probably should replace all 6 injectors, but dang they are expensive!!!
any input on who sells the best kits?
Do i go new? refurbished? rebuilt/reman?
prices range from 1100$ to 2700$ plus core charges

thoroughbred diesel?
dales super store?
industrial injection?

would like all 6 injectors ,and high pressure lines , connection tubes?
the tubes only have 10 miles on them, but most kits come with new tubes anyway
any input on companies you have bought from would be great
thanks

ok guys
i did some more testing and found if i block off fuel lines to injectors individually
when i get to number 4 injector the truck starts like it should.when its blocked off
so im trying to decide on what injector kits to buy????
probably should replace all 6 injectors, but dang they are expensive!!!
any input on who sells the best kits?
Do i go new? refurbished? rebuilt/reman?
prices range from 1100$ to 2700$ plus core charges

thoroughbred diesel?
dales super store?
industrial injection?

would like all 6 injectors ,and high pressure lines , connection tubes?
the tubes only have 10 miles on them, but most kits come with new tubes anyway
any input on companies you have bought from would be great
thanks
Do new and replace all 6. You'll know you've got all new injectors and it'll be good for while. I replaced mine in my '05 at 260k miles and put new injectors. Tubes and lines should be find if they're not damaged, just clean them thoroughly before rebuilding. I believe I bought Bosch injectors, but sourced them from a local dealer (Diesel Sales and Services, formerly known as Pro Diesel).

Does the Cummins have glow plugs, or does the intake heater take the place of that?
I've never owned one, but I have a 2002 Ford F350 7.3L Powerstroke and it has glow plugs for pre-combustion.
Just a thought...

Does the Cummins have glow plugs, or does the intake heater take the place of that?
I've never owned one, but I have a 2002 Ford F350 7.3L Powerstroke and it has glow plugs for pre-combustion.
Just a thought...
no glow plugs
cummins use a intake heater, which is new .

When's the last time valve clearance has been set/adjusted?
I do a valve adjustment every 100,000 miles. I think it states in the owners manual the frequency for valve adjustments. 2007 2500 CTD

I bought a cummings truck a few years ago that the dealer diagnosed that it needed injectors. It wouldn’t start if the out side temp was less than +10f unless it was plugged in. All it needed was a valve adjustment. Problem solved. Do the easy stuff first. Kim

problem solved!!
did more testing, and found if i blocked #4 injector line off the truck would start right up, did this to all cylinders and tried starting after each injector was blocked,
truck would not start until #4 was blocked off, ordered all new injectors,connecting tubes,and fuel lines .
truck starts right up now.
# 4 was returning all the fuel back to the tank and not letting cp3 pump build enough pressure while cranking, on cold mornings

-
Back