Any guesses as to what engine this intake fits?

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
It's got a cast base with individual runners, and a fabbed sheet metal top with single four barrel flange, and what appears to be a Chevy air temp sensor screwed in the bottom.

The runners appear to have mechanical injector holes drilled in them.

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm wondering if that looks like early hemi pattern? Or flat head Ford lol? I'm deliberately not looking online, just to see what answers I get.

Local flea market has it for $50.

IMG_20240705_172003.jpg

The early hemi is a no. Their ports are not completely horizontal like that. Can we see the rest of it?

The early hemi is a no. Their ports are not completely horizontal like that. Can we see the rest of it?
I had a couple other photos of it but they didn't take. The top half is completely hand fabbed aluminum sheet metal. The bottom half is all cast

I had a couple other photos of it but they didn't take. The top half is completely hand fabbed aluminum sheet metal. The bottom half is all cast
Ok, so the bottom is probably all anyone might recognize. Could it be something for a diesel application?

reverse re-routed flow flathead?
(or some other V8?)

edited for pedantry

Last edited:
The fact there are eight square ports and eight round ports points to a 32 valve V8 with variable runner control... The casting looks a lot like something from Ford but it's not a 4.6 DOHC or a Coyote.... Both of those engines have an flat surface the intakes bolts to...

The fact there are eight square ports and eight round ports points to a 32 valve V8 with variable runner control... The casting looks a lot like something from Ford but it's not a 4.6 DOHC or a Coyote.... Both of those engines have an flat surface the intakes bolts to...
It ain't a Coyote either.

Yeah, pretty sure I covered that... In fact you quoted me covering it....
I did.....but somehow I missed that you said "Coyote". We all know how stupid I am.

I did.....but somehow I missed that you said "Coyote". We all know how stupid I am.
Hardly.. We all miss stuff, whatever the case, it's an interesting piece, hopefully someone knows WTH it fits... Maybe something Foreign? Mercedes? BMW?

Hardly.. We all miss stuff, whatever the case, it's an interesting piece, hopefully someone knows WTH it fits... Maybe something Foreign? Mercedes? BMW?
Crapped if I know. lol

What about that Chevy LT-5 of the late 80s, early 90s ?

I think fruitcake here nailed it. ^^^^
the square port was the giveaway.

i knew i had seen that combo before but i couldn't remember where exactly. looking at the other mod motor pics jogged my memory of doing an intake on a cobra a million moons ago.

Yup, 97-98 Mk-8/SVT

I had only worked on 93-95 Mk-8 motors which have round ports...

20190119_095356__92236.jpg

I had only worked on 93-95 Mk-8 motors which have round ports...

ah... yes, the "vacuum leak specials" as we so affectionately called them. so many fond memories of sweating out gasket jobs and lower/throttle block swaps in august... in texas... without shop AC...

So this leads to "let's go astray............." What Fords had those similar independent throttles/ throttle bodies? I had no idea any 'Murican stuff used them

So at lower RPMs (around 3200 & lower) the engine runs on one intake port per cylinder... above 3200 both intake ports are used, keeping low RPM velocity for torque & more flow at higher RPMs...

I have so many questions....

Do the square ports have butterfies as well? They lead to one of the intake ports? Found a pic of the heads that mates to.
no, just the round ports have the butterflies.

as 1WRT mentioned they only function at higher rpm and they're cable actuated via motor and the ECU.

the square port was the giveaway.

i knew i had seen that combo before but i couldn't remember where exactly. looking at the other mod motor pics jogged my memory of doing an intake on a cobra a million moons ago.
Is this a thing someone would want in a carb version?

Is this a thing someone would want in a carb version?
honestly, i couldn't say.

the air temp sensor leads me to think that maybe it was setup for some type of forced induction which used a blow thru carb, i'd guess? maybe?

i do know that aftermarket intakes for those are insanely expensive (or were at the time) so a homebrew piece for all out performance would make sense.

-
Back