any Harley guys here?

-

WildCat

Reaction score
I just bought a 1998 1200 Sportster 95th anniversary site unseen. The 1st time I ever did something like this.

It was a guy I knew in Florida that passed away. His son didn't want to deal with it and offered me a price I could not refuse.

Have since gotten a picture of it and does it ever look nice. Still don't know how many miles on it, but Dave was a perfectionist and would not have it if it wasn't in very good condition.

Looks like extra chrome, windshield, forward controls, leather saddle bags and fork roll

So did the 95th come with these extras

are they fuel injected or do they still have a carb?

any special tricks to start it?

I have only rode one big harley and it had a stroker kit and run like crap. I know nothing about them. Have ridden Hondas most all my adult life. Have a 86 Goldwing and ride a buddies 93 Goldwing, bought a 77 honda 750 K new and 1st Honda was a 73 350 SL (would like to have another one of these)

what would it be worth

Plan on going to Florida maybe in Nov. to get it. Mom has it stored for me until I can get it.

got to get me a book on it. I know it will not compare to my Goldwing. Hope it doesn't feel too small. It will be used for short cruises.

Thanks Guys

Still carbed at that time. No F.I. Until later. No real trick to the sporty. Just go around the bike and make sure everything is tight.

If the bike is dead stock, the engine can be really freed up with the basic add on's which I highly recommend. The 1200 is a good engine and the 883 is the same engine just down on cubes and power but up on mileage.

Exhaust pipe change out
Air cleaner up grade
Ignition up grade, coil, wires, module.
Jet the carb up for the retune.

This really frees up power and it didn't cost me 2 inchs in mileage.
This was on my 2003/1200 custom sporty.
50 MPG All day long, everyday.
My freind said his 883 was IIRC, 60 mpg or better.

Grips, windsheild, fork bag, engine guard, saddlebags, seat, rear rack, passenger backrest mounts (no backrest?), are all accessories. The 95th was essentially a paint package.

I would gut those pipes rather than replace them. Measure the outlet side and you'll find a hole saw fits nicely in the outlet without getting into the chrome. A few minutes with a drill and some oil and the baffles will slide out nicely. A good mellow tone without a lot of harshness and still moderately quiet, too. Ditto the previous post on the Air Cleaner kit (just get one that tosses the backing plate and stay away from forcewinders and the such). The ignition upgrade isn't worth much on one in good shape, unless you're altering timing (still not worth much).

Judging by the sidestand and the picture, it appears that the bike has been lowered.

Mileage? I don't think you mentioned that unless I missed. These sporty are nice. but If you are a big guy this model would have the power you would need but it will appear small under you. I am 6 ft and weight about 250lbs.
This model would be too small for me. My cousin ride one and it is a great fit for him because he is 5 8" and weighs about 160lbs. Perfect fit for him. Here is my Roadking 07 model..

Attachments

• 100_5843.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 209
A big disagree on the ignition! It was the last item I did on the above changes and it realllly lit the package off. I didn't gut the OE exhaust but I stumbled across a screaming deal on a set of very lightly used Vance and Hines pipes with baffles. Good sound. No one ever complained to me and I worked the 12:30 am - 8:30 am shift.

The ignition and air cleaner were Screamin Eagle parts.

I'm with Rumble on this!
More gain from that box than any other single mod, though only after freeing everything up...
Some (not so) bright dealer told someone else I know "you don't need that", after hooking him up with all the other ****.
I told him his dealer didn't know jack **** and that I'd pay for the box if it wasn't the best thing he did...
All told I kept my money and he was glad I made the offer!
Stock box has artificially low rev limit (5500RPM), to get past EPA sound limit (test is conducted at half of redline), hence test at 2750RPM.
The good box gives you 6250 redline... Those tiny stock mufflers wouldn't pass the test at 3125RPM and H-D wasn't going to bend on their trademark styling.

probably run like doo doo if you pull the baffles unless you rejet the carb.I make my wideglide look small.

Attachments

• 1867976690_45729e1bf41.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 166
EBay and craigslist will be your best source for goodies. A lot of times people buy crap try it and if it doesn't feel like a kick in the pants they try something else. Too much disposable income. My final configuration was 883 bored to 1200 screamin eagle pistons jetted kiehen cv carb, screamin eagle air cleaner, the heads were .020" shaved sportster sport heads which have a tighter combustion chamber to begin with then shaved .020 for a little more. Those heads were also dual plugged from factory. I ran a Dyna brand 4 post coil with Dyna programmable ignition control module. I dumped it all through a set of Hooker step-tuned headers with the plugs.
I know some guys like to drill out the baffles in their factory mufflers , for me that was an irreversible mistake. My bike fell on its face with that modification.
If its an 883 you can bore the cylinders out or buy a used set with scratches for cheap. Clean em up with a .030" bore and hone and yer good to go the piston weights are so close no balancing is required. The combustion chamber of an 883 head will need to be relieved a little to avoid detonation.
If you go anywhere near the performance level I was at. I would strongly advise swapping to a chain drive. I couldn't keep a belt or back tire on that bike to save my life.

Attachments

• shitty weekend start.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 146
Oh yeah came were out of a Buell M2 cyclone. Just enough overlap to bleed off detonation compression, but not enough for crappy idle. The sportster list is another good resource. Sporties are a blast to just ride or tweak to your hearts content.

[/ATTACH]
my 73 shovel and 08 crossbones basic and stock wont let you down. The less crap you put on it the better off you are. I been putting bikes together for almost 40 years. How fast you want to go? 300 OR 400 M.P.H.? A stock MC has more than enough power for the street. Just dress it up to your taste and have fun, but most of all, be safe!!!..........Wolf

Attachments

• ry%3D400.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 007.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 95
"The less crap you put on it the better off you are. I been putting bikes together for almost 40 years. How fast you want to go? 300 OR 400 M.P.H.? A stock MC has more than enough power for the street. Just dress it up to your taste and have fun, but most of all, be safe!!!..........Wolf"

Amen brother! My bike is a 2003 Electra Glide Standard as it was from the factory. It has never let me down and is as dependable as an old pair of shoes. Glad to hear you may be making the move to a Harley. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead on a Goldwing but that's just me.....lol

Attachments

• 2003 Electra Glide.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 136
Mileage? I don't think you mentioned that unless I missed. These sporty are nice. but If you are a big guy this model would have the power you would need but it will appear small under you. I am 6 ft and weight about 250lbs.
This model would be too small for me. My cousin ride one and it is a great fit for him because he is 5 8" and weighs about 160lbs. Perfect fit for him. Here is my Roadking 07 model..

I had to laugh at this post! Only because I am 5' 9" and 160lbs and own a Streetglide.

To the OP.... Nice bike! Ride it before making any real decisions. Be safe!

I had to laugh at this post! Only because I am 5' 9" and 160lbs and own a Streetglide.

To the OP.... Nice bike! Ride it before making any real decisions. Be safe!
Big bike small frame guy, no problem. Small bike, big guy, well.... Every seen the the circus bear riding the motorcycle? That image should make my point....

-
Back