Any ideas for meatier exhausts?

-

Smileb1g

Reaction score
Im currently working on my 71' dart swinger special (slant 6) that my mom left behind and want to make it a bit meatier sounding. Its going to be a cruise car and I want to make sure the car is how she wanted it. Any ideas for exhausts/headers that I could use or any techniques i could do to make it sound louder with good performance? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!! -Elizabeth :supz:

Budget is the question....and how loud we talking?

If you plan on getting into the motor wait on the exhaust, if not just run a single 2.25" from the manifold to a Super 50 flowmaster, then 2.5" from the muffler to the bumper

If you plan on getting into the motor wait on the exhaust, if not just run a single 2.25" from the manifold to a Super 50 flowmaster, then 2.5" from the muffler to the bumper
Hahahah thank you for the advice!! I don't plan on getting into the motor anytime soon!

^ as 805 said, or even a dynomax super turbo.....they sound good and not overly loud or drone.
Least not on my buddies cars anyways.

Turbo style or Flowmaster might give more HP than a stock muffler, but straight through non-louvered is going to flow way better than either. Take a look at Magnaflow. Work great, and sound mean on pretty much anything, even a slant 6 :p

Turbo style or Flowmaster might give more HP than a stock muffler, but straight through non-louvered is going to flow way better than either. Take a look at Magnaflow. Work great, and sound mean on pretty much anything, even a slant 6 :p

I find that interesting... I'll put my biased on their sound aside and talk flow. If you know what a boundary lair of air is you know that a 2" tube does not have a "working area" of 2", its less. That said that is a smooth tube, now remove that nice smooth tube for a perforated one.

Chambered or open headers...

tubingsizeversusarea.jpg

i'll throw my car up, super 44 flow with a single 3" axle dump. Not stock obviously.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ92UCIjtfc"]First Dart Vid With New GoPro Black!! - YouTube[/ame]

I find that interesting... I'll put my biased on their sound aside and talk flow. If you know what a boundary lair of air is you know that a 2" tube does not have a "working area" of 2", its less. That said that is a smooth tube, now remove that nice smooth tube for a perforated one.

Chambered or open headers...

tubingsizeversusarea.jpg

i'll throw my car up, super 44 flow with a single 3" axle dump. Not stock obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ92UCIjtfc

That sounds awesome what kind of cam did you put in, whats the duration?

Ed, I question your exhaust reccomendation. Since the exhaust gasses cool substantially in the muffler dont you wanna go smaller to increase scavenging?

Like run 2.25 to the muffler and 2.125 (2-1/8") from the muffler out? Or are you reccomending the 2.5" out for more sound?

btw I watched your vid and my nipples are now semi hard as well.:glasses7:

Ed, I question your exhaust reccomendation. Since the exhaust gasses cool substantially in the muffler dont you wanna go smaller to increase scavenging?

Like run 2.25 to the muffler and 2.125 (2-1/8") from the muffler out? Or are you reccomending the 2.5" out for more sound?

btw I watched your vid and my nipples are now semi hard as well.:glasses7:

well Ted over on .org has the most consistent mpg'ing car ive ever seen. he gained mpg (=efficiency) when going from a full 2.25 exh to a 2.25/2.5" one, and he also lost like 3 mpg from the magnaflow lol.

all i know is it works, i know the exh "cools" as it moves down the line but its still HOT

Interesting.... Apparently I've been missing good info by not going to .org often... Oh well I still like the folks here better.

-
Back