Newbie (or other) interest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I said I would enter the "cheap, friendly race" that has been started by Rumblefish360. Are there any "newbies" that have interest in this and want to learn/pick up tips from this? Especially under the age of 21 that has an interest in this hobby but not much knowledge, money or support (besides FABO... lol)? If so, I have a question for you: I have 2001 Ram 2500 2wd with a 360 auto (228,000 miles). I gave 800.00 bucks for it from a company. It has no rust, but a lot of miles. If Dusters and Aspens are out of your budget, this could give a possibility of what one could do with a V8 Dakota (much lighter than my Ram) that will haul your lawnmowers, or take you to Walmart. It would get ya to work, school and let you join in on the hobby at the same time.

Vote in the poll to let me know, thanks

Our drag strip opens next weekend, and perhaps I could get it down there and make a baseline run.

I like old iron better, but I say go for it dude. There's lots of stuff around that's newer stuff that fits the bill.

If Dusters and Aspens are out of your budget, this could give a possibility of what one could do with a V8 Dakota (much lighter) that will haul your lawnmowers, or take you to Walmart.

Dakotas much lighter than Dusters and aspen/volares? Dunno about that, if anything they are about the same weight if not slightly heavier.

A 96 single cab shortbox dakota with a 2.5L 4 cyl weighs approx. 3042 lbs
An 01 is even heavier at about 3300+ lbs with the same 2.5L motor.

As for my vote, I go for Old school.

I voted to include it. We pretty much ironed it out in the competition rules anyway.

Dakotas much lighter than Dusters and aspen/volares? Dunno about that, if anything they are about the same weight if not slightly heavier.

A 96 single cab shortbox dakota with a 2.5L 4 cyl weighs approx. 3042 lbs
An 01 is even heavier at about 3300+ lbs with the same 2.5L motor.

As for my vote, I go for Old school.

No sir, you misunderstood me. I was saying the Dakota would be much lighter than my full size Ram 2500. If I do few tricks and what-nots, the results would only be amplified in a lighter vehicle (Dakota). I made the correction in my original post. Thanks for point it out.

I've been low key looking for a v8 5spd rc dak since junior year. It will be interesting to see what you come up with! I'm in!

I've been low key looking for a v8 5spd rc dak since junior year. It will be interesting to see what you come up with! I'm in!

Then I will leave my "old iron" out (for now), and I'll see what I'm able to do with this 5k ++ lbs. beast of a pig. Later this week I'll start a thread with a picture. Hope to base line it Saturday at the strip. I will try add to my old school knowledge in and leave the dollars out :D , let ya know what worked and what didn't.

Then I will leave my "old iron" out (for now), and I'll see what I'm able to do with this 5k ++ lbs. beast of a pig. Later this week I'll start a thread with a picture. Hope to base line it Saturday at the strip. I will try add to my old school knowledge in and leave the dollars out :D , let ya know what worked and what didn't.

Curious on the results, good or bad. Would love to see a short bed 1st gen Dak,enter here. Goldmember had one running 11's off spray, deep 10's on.

Curious on the results, good or bad. Would love to see a short bed 1st gen Dak,enter here. Goldmember had one running 11's off spray, deep 10's on.
Well, I'll re-assure you I'll not be on the same planet as that... lol ! I'm betting as it sits it might run a mid 16's. I gave 800.00 for the truck, and if I could spend less than 400 bucks more and get it to go low 15's, maybe even a 14.99, that would make me thrilled. If it was a V10 or Diesel, it would be much easier, but a stock 360 in a 5000 lbs truck, well, it will be a challenge. Spray, boost, porting and the like isn't allowed in the cheap, friendly race. It's a race to give a rookie, newbie on a low budget a few ideas that they could do themselves at home, and build enthusiasm in the hobby. IF I can hit a 14.99 on less than 1200 bucks total (in a 5k lbs truck), that should sit well in this race!! But that's a big IF

-
Back