Any one bond a factory snorkle scoop to a glass hood?

-
Title says it all, can it be done, I'd say yes although painting between scoop opening and hood might be tricky.

Not a snorkel obviously, but a glass scoop to a metal hood using Bondo Hair fiberglass.
While the hood was still off I taped the opening off and sprayed it black inside the scoop.
You can't tell in the pics but it has a grill inside the front that matches the car grill.

hoodscoop.jpg

closup.jpg

headon.jpg

I think TrailBeast's looks Great..

...however, I have seen several guys do it and NONE of them have lasted without cracking/lifting badly over time.

Sorry!

What I'm talking about though is bonding a factory style demon/dart sport snorkle scoop to a glass hood, not a glass scoop to a steel hood.
Has anyone done it?

Glassing glass to glass is better than to metal in my opinion.

Factory scoops have studs, and bolt on.

And that Cobra Jet Ford scoop is why your car is so fast. Jes sayin.

Well, it does let cold air in when moving and hot air out when parked so in a sense you are right.

The scoop is a reproduction of the factory 70 Mach 1 and has 6 metal threaded studs for mounting.
The hood metal is drilled about every inch with a 1/8 bit all the way around it about 1/4 inch outside the edge of it's fiberglass which was roughed really well.
The hood metal was roughed really well with a 4" grinder where the scoop contacted the hood as well, and then it was bolted down on wet fiberglass.
This gave it some "bite" along the feathered edge for the glass to metal transition so cracking along the bond line shouldn't be an issue.

Glass to glass is a lot easier than glass to metal for sure.
Probably stronger at the bond line as well.

I don't slam it, but set it down and then push down to latch it just for added caution.

(I figured I would use your comment to answer a few of the questions about mounting and possible cracking.):D

Last edited:
Shouldnt be any different. Really
If fiberglass resin mixed properly will take much longer to dry,but will make stronger.
With 2-3 layers of saturated fibermatting, will be strong as it can get. Nut and bolting, below finish surface, in strategic spots, will help minimize
future cracking, as mentioned previously.

It seems fitting especially since you have that special Ford grind camshaft, too. LOL

Works good, don't it?

Well, it does let cold air in when moving and hot air out when parked so in a sense you are right.

The scoop is a reproduction of the factory 70 Mach 1 and has 6 metal threaded studs for mounting.
The hood metal is drilled about every inch with a 1/8 bit all the way around it about 1/4 inch outside the edge of it's fiberglass which was roughed really well.
The hood metal was roughed really well with a 4" grinder where the scoop contacted the hood as well, and then it was bolted down on wet fiberglass.
This gave it some "bite" along the feathered edge for the glass to metal transition so cracking along the bond line shouldn't be an issue.

Glass to glass is a lot easier than glass to metal for sure.
Probably stronger at the bond line as well.

I don't slam it, but set it down and then push down to latch it just for added caution.

(I figured I would use your comment to answer a few of the questions about mounting and possible cracking.):D

It seems fitting especially since you have that special Ford grind camshaft, too. LOL

Works good, don't it?

Right?:D
Actually I do really like that cam since it has a nice around town little lopiness to it, but smooth's right out with any throttle.
The torque it produces in second gear at 4k is pretty impressive for how high the gearing is, but that's 70mph buy the time I really get into it's torque range in second.
I am REALLY looking forward to the 3.23 gears and a good locking diff but now it's getting into winter and I don't have any decent indoor place to mod it for readiness, so I guess it will have to wait for spring.

Ford scoop
Ford cam
GM ignition
BMW seats
Nissan windshield washer tank
A thermos for a radiator recovery tank.

It's a conglomerate that's for sure, but it all works well together.:D

-
Back