Any pointers for sheet metal repair?

-

73dusterdude

Reaction score
Just as The title says. I need pointers or links to good books or articles. I'm about to start going through the entire chassis of my 73 duster. need advice for replacing panels. I have a good bit of metal know how. But this will be a huge under taking seeing how this this needs everything. Some subframe help, inner fenders, rockers,quarters from and rear spring hangers, floors. Tail panel. You name it

Nothing fits as well as factory panels, period. Leave as much original sheet metal - and repair it - as you can.

I liked these books... learned a lot, but I quickly found out nothing will beat experience. Get good with a TIG torch, and throughout the project be very patient and take your time. If you have never done something before, practice it a few times before trying it on your car. This is tedious, time consuming, and often frustrating work. Don't get in a hurry, or be tempted to cut corners or say "ah, good enough". You'll likely need MIG and TIG welders, good metal cutting tools, a good hammer and dolly set, a box of clecos, a handful of small strong magnets, plenty of clamps and all the usual bodywork tools to finish the surface once the patches are in place.
I strongly disagree with the comment on nothing fitting like factory panels. In my experience, the sheetmetal from AMD is every bit as good as the original, in both fit and construction. Whenever possible, I will replace old rotted panels with new ones from AMD.

Anyway, here are the books I liked:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1626540195/?tag=joeychgo-20
https://tinyurl.com/yb38yjqn

I liked these books... learned a lot, but I quickly found out nothing will beat experience. Get good with a TIG torch, and throughout the project be very patient and take your time. If you have never done something before, practice it a few times before trying it on your car. This is tedious, time consuming, and often frustrating work. Don't get in a hurry, or be tempted to cut corners or say "ah, good enough". You'll likely need MIG and TIG welders, good metal cutting tools, a good hammer and dolly set, a box of clecos, a handful of small strong magnets, plenty of clamps and all the usual bodywork tools to finish the surface once the patches are in place.
I strongly disagree with the comment on nothing fitting like factory panels. In my experience, the sheetmetal from AMD is every bit as good as the original, in both fit and construction. Whenever possible, I will replace old rotted panels with new ones from AMD.

Anyway, here are the books I liked:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1626540195/?tag=joeychgo-20
https://tinyurl.com/yb38yjqn
That first one is already in my cart was planning on getting it. I'll look at that second book to

The information available here is invaluable. There are so many pictures and pointers on pretty much every piece that can be replaced. I started by searching FABO for each panel, or at least going through a ton of member restos to get an idea. Take it slow and keep it cool. I replaced my floor, quarters, t-bar crossmember, front frame rails, inner fenders, one rear wheel well, rear valance, 4spd hump, trunk extensions and had to fab some parts of the inner rockers. Once I got the hang of drilling the welds, fitting the piece, which chances are, will you need to cut and hammer to get where you want it, and securing it, it is all pretty much the same process. Obviously long seam welds are no fun, but a fastback panel on a notch needs to be cut and seam welded, as do panel patches. I like to clean bare metal with TSP after I bead blast and epoxy prime after that.

Check your local community college to see if they have an Auto Body and Paint class. I took several classes, gives you the learning experience, tools booth etc. and the expertise of the instructor. This was very instrumental in finishing both of my projects.
2007-10-18_002.jpg

Alan

The guy who runs the resto shop at AMD made some videos. I used to talk to him every year at the Mopar Nats and bought a few of his DVD's. There were times I'd talk to him for more than a half hour but he didn't mind at all. He even asked me to critique his videos. His name is Craig and used to work at or run a Porsche body shop in Hollywood or Beverly Hills. I don't know if the dvds are still available or not, or even if AMD stilll does restos but he covers things pretty well.

Do like I did. I honed my skills on my brothers car (72 challenger) before starting on mine. I learned a lot by reading message boards and don't be afraid to ask questions as you go along. In many cases there are several ways of doing the same job. It also depends on if your going after a concours restoration or just a driver. It can become much more labor intensive if you are trying to duplicate what the factory did compared to just fixing something structurally.

-
Back