Any rear gearing guides?

-

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm newer to the mopar scene and I was wondering if there were any guides to picking the right rear differential gear ratio? I've hunted about and seen varying answers, I know it's dependent on what you want to do with the car, but if there's any comprehensive guide to differentials and gear ratios please point me towards it. I've got a lot of reading to do while I work on the body of my Barracuda for the next few years.

It really depends what your doing.
Say best quarter mile is 4.56:1 and best highway is 2.74:1 everything in between is a compromises between the two.

Another driving factor on rear gear choice is the transmission output. Is it overdrive or direct? Its a big difference.

I decided to go with. 4.10 gearing because my ultimate plans call for a gear vendors overdrive on the back of my 727. Below is a table from the link above. I hope the formatting isn't all messed up.

TORQUEFLITE A727/A904 3-SPEED AUTOMATIC
Axle Ratio
4.56 4.10 3.73 3.55 3.23 3.08
Trans Ratio Final Drive Ratio
1st 2.45 11.17 10.05 9.14 8.70 7.91 7.55
Over 1.91 8.71 7.84 7.13 6.78 6.17 5.89
2nd 1.45 6.61 5.95 5.41 5.15 4.68 4.47
Over 1.13 5.16 4.64 4.22 4.01 3.65 3.49
3rd 1.00 4.56 4.10 3.73 3.55 3.23 3.08
Over 0.78 3.56 3.20 2.91 2.77 2.52 2.40

In general: Look at what Ma Mopar put in the cars as the standard gear. Almost every "normal" muscle car came with 3.23 gears in it. They work on the street, and are O.K. for the highway. 3.55 was usually optional, and while they help with 1/4 mile acceleration, they are not ideal for highway use. But more "fun" than the 3.23s. And with the higher numerical ratios like 3.90 or 4.10 you won't want to be doing much highway driving at all. They are great on the dragstrip though. As you go down numerically like 2.73s or whatever they had to offer, those gears are more aimed at highway cruising, but are poor for acceleration... As I said in general.

1...Pick your wheels / tires for the car, the tire diameter is important

2...Figure what your "long range" cruising plans will be. Mine are "not" I won't be doing any 300 mile trips I doubt. I want "on the tap" performance

3...Figure what you can have for cruise speed and RPM.

4...Do the math, there are SCADS of online calculators.

I ran lower than most on the street I guess. Very tall tires for the stock tubs, Ford 9" with 3.7X the car ran about 32-3300 at 70mph. That is a bit high for long cruise, and "around here" people have begun to push ----sometimes the freeway runs more like 75 "in the group"

I run an overdrive trans.

what I did is pick my cruise RPM @60mph in OD and what I wanted to go through the traps at.

I ended up with 4.56's which puts me through the traps at 6,200ish and cruises about 2500@60mph.

As said, know your tire size. I run 28's or 29's.

In hindsight I wish I went 4.30'sm maybe 4.10's but really that's spitting hairs. My setup is great on the street and the track.

Last edited:
Click the link at the bottom of this post and in there are MoPars speed tips which include axle ratios with the cans used. Do realize this is a general guide line to use and not an end all guide.

The rear gear as well as tire size should work in concert with the engine and its size as well as cam size, and other engine parts, stock or modified. Also the torque converter.

It is a package deal. Everyone works together. You can go outside the suggestions. Less gear will mean more converter and more gear is less converter. The converter works with the engine size as well as the cam size.

Confused yet? Here is what you do;

Make a plan and stick to it!
Decide on what you want from and out of your car.
Check into the racers forum here and take note of the sticky threads up top for tips on how to do it. A lot of members have posted there combos up.
(OR SHOULD HAVE!)

This can help a great deal.

If you have an idea, let’s us know. Otherwise, the above posts are a general answer to your general question.

And as if that wasn't enough
for a streeter, with an automatic
A stout SBM is gonna have the potential to spin the tires all or most all the way thru first gear. So the starter gear is not thaaat critical. Now it's all about second gear and the cruise rpm. I like to optimize 2nd to just break the tires loose at 32mph, with a footstomp and a DP carb; that's how I roll. I can always back out of the throttle once the car is accelerating,lol.
So that requires careful planning in the engine package. If you don't have enough power, then you have to do it with other means like; Torque Multiplication,Hi-stall,and co-ordinating the compression ratio to the camshaft.
In the world of Mopar autos,we are sorta stuck with 3-speeds, so there is only so much you can do with gearing, and that leads to the hi-stalls; which then allow bigger cams, and higher operating rpms, and before you can say jumpingJackFlash you gotcherself a racecar and are speeding, and are screaming down the hiway at 3500 rpm.
So the simple solution is to just have more power at a lower rpm. Then you wouldn't need the hi-stall, nor the TM, nor the big cam, nor the overdrive, and things start to become real-world affordable.
So then we have a battle between:
Plan-A) a small engine with hi compression to use a high-rpm cam, then the big rear gears and a fairly hi-stall, and finally, to actually put miles on this now mega-dollar powertrain, add the overdrive. So the cost of all this becomes outrageous. and
Plan-B) a bigger engine, and none of those other costs
The thing is, it costs about the same either way you do it, cuz strokers ain't cheap. And strokers have a different problem, and that is finding traction. So then you end up fighting that battle.
But there is a happy medium. About 1 cubic inch per pound of ready to run weight. If you and your car weigh 3200 pounds, then a 318 will be enough to have fun with. At 3600 you need a 360. If you favor hiway cruizing, move up in cubes about 5%, so you can gear down 5%.
It is always better to have a bit too much, than not enough.
And I favor more stroke than the 3.315 cuz I can run a bit more cam and a bit less gear, saving me money at the pump. But I don't see much point in a 4" arm for a 1.5 gear car. What do I mean by 1.5 gear car? Well, 3.55s and 27s will get you 60= 4000rpm in second gear. Right in the middle of no man's land, 1.5 gears from the start-line. Any warmed up SBM at 1 cube per pound, will spin all the way thru first, so when you shift it at 5500, the Rs drop to 3250 so you are basically pulling from 3520 to 4000, and 5500 could get you a tic over 80mph. You might as well just have a 4000rpm engine with mega torque.
Some day,I would like to try a 3.79 crank, in a 318, for about 370 cubes. Yeah that should be bout right.
And if you make the leap to aluminum heads, then it becomes advisable to also step up to a 360, cuz then you have potential to be creative.
It's hard to make enough compression to optimize a 318 for aluminum heads.
It's easy to get the 360 into the ballpark, and only a few more dollars to optimize it. And once you do that, you have a kick-azz engine. and you can run pretty much any gear, any trans, any cam,any weight, that you want to, depending on the mood of the month,or season. That's what I did, and have never been sorry.....
well except for the 292/108 cam,lol. That combo did NOT like 3.55s; the power arrived at 50mph/5600 mph...... in first gear, and topped out at 60mph/7000rpm. I built it like that on purpose as a 1-gear deal. But I didn't really like the combo when it wasn't floored..... which turned out to be most of the time... go-figure.
But not sorry about spending the money, cuz the very first time you drive that aluminum-headed beast, and feel that 185 to 200 psi, it's like a friggin supercharger..... you'll be forever hooked.
And as if that ain't enough, it burns 87E10 all-day,every-day.........
So; in answer to your question; that depends,lol

And as if that wasn't enough
for a streeter, with an automatic
A stout SBM is gonna have the potential to spin the tires all or most all the way thru first gear. So the starter gear is not thaaat critical. Now it's all about second gear and the cruise rpm. I like to optimize 2nd to just break the tires loose at 32mph, with a footstomp and a DP carb; that's how I roll. I can always back out of the throttle once the car is accelerating,lol.
So that requires careful planning in the engine package. If you don't have enough power, then you have to do it with other means like; Torque Multiplication,Hi-stall,and co-ordinating the compression ratio to the camshaft.
In the world of Mopar autos,we are sorta stuck with 3-speeds, so there is only so much you can do with gearing, and that leads to the hi-stalls; which then allow bigger cams, and higher operating rpms, and before you can say jumpingJackFlash you gotcherself a racecar and are speeding, and are screaming down the hiway at 3500 rpm.
So the simple solution is to just have more power at a lower rpm. Then you wouldn't need the hi-stall, nor the TM, nor the big cam, nor the overdrive, and things start to become real-world affordable.
So then we have a battle between:
Plan-A) a small engine with hi compression to use a high-rpm cam, then the big rear gears and a fairly hi-stall, and finally, to actually put miles on this now mega-dollar powertrain, add the overdrive. So the cost of all this becomes outrageous. and
Plan-B) a bigger engine, and none of those other costs
The thing is, it costs about the same either way you do it, cuz strokers ain't cheap. And strokers have a different problem, and that is finding traction. So then you end up fighting that battle.
But there is a happy medium. About 1 cubic inch per pound of ready to run weight. If you and your car weigh 3200 pounds, then a 318 will be enough to have fun with. At 3600 you need a 360. If you favor hiway cruizing, move up in cubes about 5%, so you can gear down 5%.
It is always better to have a bit too much, than not enough.
And I favor more stroke than the 3.315 cuz I can run a bit more cam and a bit less gear, saving me money at the pump. But I don't see much point in a 4" arm for a 1.5 gear car. What do I mean by 1.5 gear car? Well, 3.55s and 27s will get you 60= 4000rpm in second gear. Right in the middle of no man's land, 1.5 gears from the start-line. Any warmed up SBM at 1 cube per pound, will spin all the way thru first, so when you shift it at 5500, the Rs drop to 3250 so you are basically pulling from 3520 to 4000, and 5500 could get you a tic over 80mph. You might as well just have a 4000rpm engine with mega torque.
Some day,I would like to try a 3.79 crank, in a 318, for about 370 cubes. Yeah that should be bout right.
And if you make the leap to aluminum heads, then it becomes advisable to also step up to a 360, cuz then you have potential to be creative.
It's hard to make enough compression to optimize a 318 for aluminum heads.
It's easy to get the 360 into the ballpark, and only a few more dollars to optimize it. And once you do that, you have a kick-azz engine. and you can run pretty much any gear, any trans, any cam,any weight, that you want to, depending on the mood of the month,or season. That's what I did, and have never been sorry.....
well except for the 292/108 cam,lol. That combo did NOT like 3.55s; the power arrived at 50mph/5600 mph...... in first gear, and topped out at 60mph/7000rpm. I built it like that on purpose as a 1-gear deal. But I didn't really like the combo when it wasn't floored..... which turned out to be most of the time... go-figure.
But not sorry about spending the money, cuz the very first time you drive that aluminum-headed beast, and feel that 185 to 200 psi, it's like a friggin supercharger..... you'll be forever hooked.
And as if that ain't enough, it burns 87E10 all-day,every-day.........
So; in answer to your question; that depends,lol
Thanks for writing this up! I want to thank everyone, I'm still a long way from worrying about mechanicals (still fighting the tin worm unfortunately) but I'm learning as I go!

-
Back