Any Retired Federal employees on medicare?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Specifically looking for folks who have retired from the federal government, kept their federal health insurance, and then applied for medicare.

My wife is in this situation, retired two years ago, now 65 and eligible for medicare but we have questions. She has already talked to OPM, United heath care (current provider), and the medicare people. She's having a hard time getting a straight answer from any of them on weather or not she should take medicare part B.
She was planning on keeping her current insurance, and just taking part A, which is free. But the lady at medicare told her that once she reaches 65 and is eligible for medicare, that her current insurance is only good as a secondary insurance, weather she applies for part B or not.
This doesn't seem right
Anyone have a clue on this?

I’m not personally a federal retiree, but, what you describe is pretty common. Quite a few retiree health care plans only cover the retiree in full until they reach the eligible age for MediCare. Once that happens, MediCare becomes the primary coverage and the private insurance is only good as secondary coverage.

And in many cases, the private coverage is dropped entirely once Medicare takes over, unless you specifically pay extra out of your own pocket to keep it. Sometimes secondary private insurance is covered by the retiree’s retirement plan, but not always.

You’ll have to figure out what exactly is covered by your wife’s retirement, which will probably mean sitting down with someone at OPM. And not just any someone, but someone at OPM that’s actually well versed in their job. The folks at Medicare should know what they’ll cover, but they probably won’t know what your wife’s retirement will pay for.

I’m not personally a federal retiree, but, what you describe is pretty common. Quite a few retiree health care plans only cover the retiree in full until they reach the eligible age for MediCare. Once that happens, MediCare becomes the primary coverage and the private insurance is only good as secondary coverage.

And in many cases, the private coverage is dropped entirely once Medicare takes over, unless you specifically pay extra out of your own pocket to keep it. Sometimes secondary private insurance is covered by the retiree’s retirement plan, but not always.

You’ll have to figure out what exactly is covered by your wife’s retirement, which will probably mean sitting down with someone at OPM. And not just any someone, but someone at OPM that’s actually well versed in their job. The folks at Medicare should know what they’ll cover, but they probably won’t know what your wife’s retirement will pay for.

Specifically looking for folks who have retired from the federal government, kept their federal health insurance, and then applied for medicare.

My wife is in this situation, retired two years ago, now 65 and eligible for medicare but we have questions. She has already talked to OPM, United heath care (current provider), and the medicare people. She's having a hard time getting a straight answer from any of them on weather or not she should take medicare part B.
She was planning on keeping her current insurance, and just taking part A, which is free. But the lady at medicare told her that once she reaches 65 and is eligible for medicare, that her current insurance is only good as a secondary insurance, weather she applies for part B or not.
This doesn't seem right
I just went through a two year battle to get all my medicare squared away. What the lady told your wife is correct with the caveat that I was not a federal employee. If there is any lapse in your qualified insurance coverage you will pay a penalty for part B for the rest of your life. Also, you cannot get any supplemental coverage until you are accepted into Medicare B. Once you are accepted into part B, you can buy your supplemental and your prescription coverage but not until.
Again, this information is based on not being an ex-federal employee. Could be different but I don't think so. The only exception I read about is ex-railroad employees who are covered by their own medical plan.

This doesn't seem right

I am retired from Federal Civil Service and turned 65 last July. Medicare is complicated and you need to research it thoroughly as it is confusing. Part A covers hospital but not Doctor visits and routine care and it is free but does not cover 100%. Part B covers Doctor visits and routine care but does not cover 100% and if you do not have a supplement you will pay out of your pocket the difference. If you have a catastrophic incident like cancer you will pay a significant amount to cover what Medicare does not and could really put a dent in your savings. Part B is not free and I pay about $134 per month that comes automatically out of my Social Security benefits.

I kept my FEHB as a supplement and it covers what Medicare does not pay including co-pays. Remember Medicare will now be the primary provider and your FEHB as secondary insurance will cover the rest and you would pay very little out of your pocket if any at all. Also in the event of a catastrophic illness you will have piece of mind that you will not go bankrupt. Since I have had medicare I have paid nothing out of my pocket for all my medical care. I have used my VA benefits in the past for a lot of things which was free but now under Medicare along with my supplement I will use the VA less because I am not paying any out of pocket expenses now with my Medicare. Also if your wife discontinues her FEHB insurance at retirement she will not have the option of re-enrolling. The Federal Employee Health Benefit plan is very good and hard to beat for the cost.

I am not recommending your wife do as I did but I have tried to explain my decision on Medicare and FEHB when I retired. You and your wife must research the facts thoroughly and decide what is right for your circumstance. I hope I have helped you understand more about medicare and not confused you more.

I just went through a two year battle to get all my medicare squared away. What the lady told your wife is correct with the caveat that I was not a federal employee. If there is any lapse in your qualified insurance coverage you will pay a penalty for part B for the rest of your life. Also, you cannot get any supplemental coverage until you are accepted into Medicare B. Once you are accepted into part B, you can buy your supplemental and your prescription coverage but not until.
Again, this information is based on not being an ex-federal employee. Could be different but I don't think so. The only exception I read about is ex-railroad employees who are covered by their own medical plan.

That is a good point that I did not mention. If your wife keeps the FEHB plan which should have drug coverage you will not need to take out Part D. Your drug coverage would remain the same as before and you will pay the copays as before. In doing research my plan (NALC) had better coverage than the plans offered under part D.

Retired Military here! Not medically retired, longevity of service retired. Also disabled.

There is a major difference from the insurance world for some reason.

I have Medicare and maintain my Tri-Care which serves as my secondary insurance. The cost goes up every few years also.

Works like a Dream. I am very blessed.

That sounds about right. I don’t know all the terminology as it’s my parents that are the retirees, although I did work a couple years for the feds. Most of my knowledge is from helping them though. My dad is retired federal employee and I know he doesn’t get anything at all beyond Medicare from his retirement. My mom retired from the school district, and her primary coverage is Medicare, with supplemental insurance that she’s continued for both of them (at considerable expense) to maintain full coverage. But as she’s a recent cancer survivor the cost for her to maintain full coverage through her supplemental is well worth it, despite being thousands of dollars, because Medicare wouldn’t have covered all of her second round of cancer treatment expenses. And even a few percent of those costs would have been a very large chunk of money for my folks.

I am retired from Federal Civil Service and turned 65 last July. Medicare is complicated and you need to research it thoroughly as it is confusing. Part A covers hospital but not Doctor visits and routine care and it is free but does not cover 100%. Part B covers Doctor visits and routine care but does not cover 100% and if you do not have a supplement you will pay out of your pocket the difference. If you have a catastrophic incident like cancer you will pay a significant amount to cover what Medicare does not and could really put a dent in your savings. Part B is not free and I pay about $134 per month that comes automatically out of my Social Security benefits.

I kept my FEHB as a supplement and it covers what Medicare does not pay including co-pays. Remember Medicare will now be the primary provider and your FEHB as secondary insurance will cover the rest and you would pay very little out of your pocket if any at all. Also in the event of a catastrophic illness you will have piece of mind that you will not go bankrupt. Since I have had medicare I have paid nothing out of my pocket for all my medical care. I have used my VA benefits in the past for a lot of things which was free but now under Medicare along with my supplement I will use the VA less because I am not paying any out of pocket expenses now with my Medicare. Also if your wife discontinues her FEHB insurance at retirement she will not have the option of re-enrolling. The Federal Employee Health Benefit plan is very good and hard to beat for the cost.

I am not recommending your wife do as I did but I have tried to explain my decision on Medicare and FEHB when I retired. You and your wife must research the facts thoroughly and decide what is right for your circumstance. I hope I have helped you understand more about medicare and not confused you more.

Very well put! Yes, keeping a supplemental was a big deal for my mom. Had she not, the amount of her cancer treatment that she would have been responsible for just under Medicare would likely have bankrupted my parents.

It’s VERY confusing, lots of research is necessary. Drug plans, co-pays, what’s covered, it’s a mess.

I studied hard to learn it. First there is the annual brochures the government sends you before you are enrolled. Then I bought the Medicare for Dummies book and read it cover to cover.
Then I bought the "Get what's yours for Medicare" book and read it cover to cover. Then after three submissions and three hour+ sessions on the phone with SS over the course of two years, I finally got accepted into
part B. After that it was all easy, AARP for the supplemental and something for part D. My out of pocket is about the same as what it was for wife & I when working full time and my
employer paying 75% of the monthly premium. The difference is now I don't have any deductibles or co-pays as my supplemental covers all them.
It's good insurance if you win the battle to get in.

Thanks for all the reply’s, it’s definitely a help. She has been researching this for some time, and it is very confusing. We both took a Medicare class about six months ago, but still didn’t get all our questions answered.
A bunch of people she used to work with did what it sounds like she needs to do. Keep the federal health coverage and do part B also.

DesertRat, I’m wondering why it takes two years to get accepted into part B?
Seems like they have it set up so you almost have to take it, so why so hard to get accepted? And I’m wondering if her current federal coverage will cover everything it used to while she waiting for part b to kick in?

DesertRat, I’m wondering why it takes two years to get accepted into part B?
Seems like they have it set up so you almost have to take it, so why so hard to get accepted? And I’m wondering if her current federal coverage will cover everything it used to while she waiting for part b to kick in?
I re-read the OP. I hope your wife has had some kind of full coverage since her retirement. You may be penalized if she has let anything lapse.
To answer your question about the two years, I don't know the why but I can give you the chronology. I wanted to retire from my job at 67/68 but I could not be without insurance coverage for both of us as my work insurance covered us both even though my wife was already retired. We are all automatically enrolled in MC part A at age 65 but we must apply to be accepted into part B when we want to give up other coverage (work). We downloaded the part B applications and completed them, hand delivering them to the closest SS office who assured we would hear from them within two weeks. No response and I kept working-after no response I decided to work another year. Then I decided enough was enough so 3 months before my 70th birthday I applied again for part B for both of us. Months went by and no response. I called SS (all of this process is handled through social security) and after 1.5 hours on hold got to talk to a human. I explained my situation and this person assured me they could get me enrolled in 30 days. I sent off the applications and no response. By now I have made my retirement deal with my company and I am becoming desperate to get full Medicare. Once again I called SS and got a call center in Oakland CA. The guy was cool and told me all the west coast applications were processed two blocks from his office. I begged him to help me and he gave me his information to send the applications directly to him for processing, promising to help me. No response. Now I am "retired" from my company but out of their kindness they are keeping me on their insurance allowing me to get my Medicare issues fixed. I called SS call center again and asked the individual on the line to please check and see if I was in the system. Lo and behold I was there, my guy in Oakland kept his promise. I now had part B for wife & I and now I could proceed to purchase my supplemental (we chose AARP) and our part D-prescriptions.
We kept a 30 day overlap with my company insurance and Medicare just to make sure there was no qualified lapse of coverage which could get me penalized for life on part B premiums.
This entire process took over two years from the time of our first hand delivered application for part B, why I have no idea. I am thankful that my company wanted to keep me working and helped me out with overlapping coverage. It was a huge task and took a lot of perseverance but it was totally worth it.
I know this is a lot of reading for you and I hope it helps. My recommendation is to buy the books and educate yourself because no one will help you. Best of luck!!
DR-------------------------:)

My wife and I are both former federal employees. I retired in 2010, she just retired. We had family insurance through FEHB program with GEHA high option.(she was the primary) Since I am turning 65 in march and will be on medicare, (my wife is younger). I am going to get GEHA standard as my insurance, available since I was a fed employee........119 per month, and it will cover prescriptions. OPM says it meets the requirements for coverage, if i deside to change in the future, no penalty. hope thats not too confusing........Bob

DesertRat, she retired two years ago, and kept her federal employee health plan, so she has had continuous coverage. She just turned 65 in November so she has till the end of February to signup for parts A and B.

Sorry it was such a hassle for you and took so long. Hopefully my wife’s will not get lost in the system like yours did.

Thanks

DesertRat, she retired two years ago, and kept her federal employee health plan, so she has had continuous coverage. She just turned 65 in November so she has till the end of February to signup for parts A and B.

Sorry it was such a hassle for you and took so long. Hopefully my wife’s will not get lost in the system like yours did.

Thanks
Congratulations, she should have no problem and great coverage.

filled out the forms on line yesterday for Part A and Part B......turn 65 in april.....

I still got a few years to go myself. Wife is 8 years older than me. I turn 58 next month. I married a cougar before anyone knew what that was. Only thing that’s kinda weird about it is that she’s been retired for two years and I gotta keep working for another six or eight years, if my body holds up that long.
She’s been a good one though, in may it’ll be 25 years married and 30 years together.

-
Back