Any Subaru fans?

-
We bought my daughter a 1998 Impreza her junior year of college (Colorado), paid $3000 from a lawyer in Santa Monica CA. I thought of it as a beater, safe car, that would be good for a California girl in Colorado. Here we are 5 years later, with a little maintenance love now and then and she is still driving it and it treats her great. She has traveled all over and it's never let her down. Just a little over 200,000 miles and it's like new. Very fancy for as old as it is, leatherish heated seats, power everything and it moves pretty well.

Got the car. Brakes feel a little spongy. Gonna look into that saturday. Ive read that this is common with Subarus. Mine is a 07 Outback. Might be the slider in the calipers or pads and rotors or both.

Got the car. Brakes feel a little spongy. Gonna look into that saturday. Ive read that this is common with Subarus. Mine is a 07 Outback. Might be the slider in the calipers or pads and rotors or both.

Getting used to the rotary engine and warm-ups takes some time.

The life cycle of the Subaru

Dealership
Anywhere USA until 50,000 miles
Colorado
Vermont
Scrap Pike

When I was living in Colorado I had a buddy who's Subie broke down in Colorado Springs on the way to work.... The officer who stopped asked where the other car was (that had been involved in the accident)... my buddy had to explain that the car just looked like that...

Last edited:
what does the spare look like?

(the reason i ask) my AWD charger has the same issue, MUST have 4 identical tires on or it will explode and self destruct

such a big deal you cant buy 1 or even 2 tires for it

apparently not a big enough deal to include a full size spare

View attachment 1715830634
Disconnect the fuse

2-3 stars overall.

Yeah... their quality has really ebbed over time.
The Ascent has been a train wreck while Kia and Hyundai offer more affordable options..

Subaru fuel mileage comparatively sucks as well. 2025 EPA mandate is going to eat their lunch

Ya my daughters 1 year old Hyundai is in litigation as the gps/radio/climate control screen keeps going out and they can’t repair it. Guess what no heater or defroster., Michigan nice a.

My son has this 08 STI. 355hp 4-cly. A real kick to drive and faster than my 72 Satellite with a mild 440. Feels like it is on rails when blazing through a canyon. They do have head issues and some other smaller ones but are pretty reliable and safe. There is a gazillion Subarus in Colorado.

20170606_160336.jpg

Getting used to the rotary engine and warm-ups takes some time.

The life cycle of the Subaru

Dealership
Anywhere USA until 50,000 miles
Colorado
Vermont
Scrap Pike

When I was living in Colorado I had a buddy who's Subie broke down in Colorado Springs on the way to work.... The officer who stopped asked where the other car was (that had been involved in the accident)... my buddy had to explain that the car just looked like that...
Rotary engine?

I bought a 17 Outback new. Currently at about 45K miles. It has been an excellent car and given me no problems whatsoever. If I needed another car for some reason, I would not hesitate to start that search at the local Subaru dealer.

I was never a fan but bought my first non-turbo Impreza 10 years ago, then upgraded to an '05 WRX and now have a '17 WRX STI.
Great cars, very well engineered, and don't have that Lesbaru reputation anywhere outside the US. In the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc they are known for their rallying prowess and general all-weather ability.
Mine was the most "analogue" new family performance car I could buy at the time with hydraulic power steering, manual gearbox, mechanical 4wd etc. 2.5 liter turbo, it's pretty quick.
subaru-wrx-sti_0.jpg

Got into the breaks. Sliders froze up. Pads worn. Fluid was a little low. Think its just liner wear. Had to hammer sliders out. Went ahead and got new calipers. Should be back together tonight.

I bought a 17 Outback new. Currently at about 45K miles. It has been an excellent car and given me no problems whatsoever. If I needed another car for some reason, I would not hesitate to start that search at the local Subaru dealer.

My first was after a trip to CarMax... test drove the Subaru and was on the way home to get the title for my old car...and stopped at the Subaru dealer on the way. Found the same car, same options and 2 years newer for lower price and payment.

Last edited:
on a side note, my nephew has a suby of some sort and hes got some japanese chicken scratches across the front windshield

my boy asked me once what it meant, so i told him "spicy tuna roll"

none of us can decipher those chicken scratches so who knows what it really says

long story short, we now call my nephew spicy tuna roll

My first was after a trip to CarMax... test drove the Subaru and was on the way home to get the title for my old car...and stopped at the Subaru dealer on the way. Found the same car, same options and 2 years newer for lower price and payment.

Yes CarMax is high on their pricing.

Im on my 6th Subaru.

Not because they break down but because they are a safe, reliable and fun car that I can always sell for a profit. (I have never lost money on a Subaru.) I buy em cheap, fix em up, drive em until they beat to crap and re sell em.

I have owned
1985, 1987, 1991, 2002, 2007 wrx, 2017 wrx.

I would really like to find another 1987 Loyal wagon. Two speed transfer case, five speed manual trans, lay flat rear sears and unstoppable.

Head gaskets on some years like the 02 can fail but they often fail to the out side so even then its just top off the water once a week.

Timing belt. My 07 WRX i sold at 200,000 for a large profit and it had the original timing belt.

Alignment.

Rotate tires each oil change and have a plug kit. Tire shops wont sell you one tire. You gotta buy all four at once or it will damage the center dif. (This is a lie. I would not put different size tires on but changing one is ok in a pinch.)

If you do need one tire I try to buy it from a mexican tire shop and not the large chain stores as they arnt try to up sell you.

I have spent three days at Dirtfish driving school in washington. The is where Team Subaru trains their Raley drivers. It is not cheap but it will give you a true understanding of just what these cars are capable of. I HIGHLY RECOMEND it to anyone who thinks they would enjoy learning how to better handle a car at speed in adverse conditions.

One other kinda fun aspect of the wrx/sti cars is the "club" mentality. Driving a WRX or STI is like Driving a motor cycle, Jeep or old toyota truck. We all wave at each other and chat when we see another car.

My 2017 WRX

View attachment 1715830623

oh I almost forgot. Always buy them in stock form. DO NOT BUY a modified Subaru.
Sold my Coyote Mustang in 2012 and got our first Subaru in 2012 when we got married. Traded that Impreza for a 17 Forester Limited in 2019. Bought a 21 Forester this March. Sold the 17 before we moved down here to my boss. His first Subaru and he loves it. Now we get very very little snow in Alabama, but still get a bit of rain. AWD, 31 MPG on the highway, super comfy seats, very few things to pick apart. I do run a mix of 0W/20 and 5W/30 in the summer and dont use any oil. Here she is today riding out the December wind storm.

bbv.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back