Any tips for installing LA timing cover seal?

-

JoePole1

A dude in a B body
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. My aluminium cover has the lip and seal installs from the inside.
Having trouble getting the seal started. I do not have a seal installer that large
so tried plastic hammer then block of wood. Afraid to bend the seal.
Thinking I need to sand down the opening a bit. I know about using a thin coat of RTV on outside of seal. Got any tips for me?

Buy or rent a kit like the one here. I use a piece of water pipe myself, or a socket if you have 3/4" set...

Screenshot (102).png

make sure the OD is the same as the ID of the seal (correct part) . IIRC the seal has a rubber coating that will cause a friction fit in the cover. I used a block of wood, center it and smack it. Make sure its started and then pound it home. Its not that hard to seat it.

I used a kit like dicer posted. I bought it on Amazon it wasn't expensive and I've used it alot since I bought it.

make sure the OD is the same as the ID of the seal (correct part) . IIRC the seal has a rubber coating that will cause a friction fit in the cover. I used a block of wood, center it and smack it. Make sure its started and then pound it home. Its not that hard to seat it.

I'll measure tomorrow. The seal does have the red coating on it. I was using the edge of a 2x4 and the seal was digging in.
I'll cut a small block and lay it on it's side. Looking to get the front end buttoned up tomorrow.

the end is open grain, very soft. Use the side of a 2X4 or block. Youll want it full coverage to distribute the load.

Buy or rent a kit like the one here. I use a piece of water pipe myself, or a socket if you have 3/4" set...

View attachment 1715862576

I bought a set like this 5-6 years ago at harbor freight and never opened the box yet. There were days during my millwright days that I put 15-20 seals in so I just grab them, square them up, and smack it on the edge while holding it square with my left hand. I kinda bought them thinking I would Chuck them up in my lathe and make bushing drivers out of them for powerglide work.

A little rtv on the metal seal shell and whack it with a block of wood & a dead blow hammer.

Once it gets started, and it will take a good swing to get it started.. it will go right in.
If the 1st whack starts it a little crooked..move the block to the high side and tap it straight..then pound it in.
Dont forget to oil the seal before the balancer goes on... and don't tighten the cover down till the balancer is on and bottomed out...use some rtv on the cover seal too...both sides ..sparingly..
Just a skin coat is fine unless the cover is pitted near the water pass throughs.

My best advice is...

When you get the cover on let the sealant set up 24 or more hours before you fill the system.

Also propper thread sealant on bolts that go into the water jacket.

Advance auto has tools for rent or use and I’m assuming so do other parts stores. Why risk destroying a bunch of seals or worse yet your cover? Or maybe just not getting it in right and it leaks. Call around till you find the right tool. Remember being a hammer mechanic or having one work on your car sucks. When installing the cover snug bolts so cover is just a little loose, install harmonic balancer and then tighten the bolts. This will center the seal around the balancer.

Post #7 best answer .I can be cheap sometimes lol some PVC pipe and or fitting with the right diameter can work.

Post #7 best answer .I can be cheap sometimes lol some PVC pipe and or fitting with the right diameter can work.

It's in. Put it in the freezer for a while. Didn't have PVC in the right size but the lid from a bird feeder fit perfectly.
RTV, wooden block and rubber mallet. Thanks.
IMG_20220201_083846_hdr.jpg

The secret rests in simply this. The heavier the hammer the better ! less rebound

For any others that have this issue...

You have to hit it HARD.
It will also cant/clock crooked sometimes...so hit it on the high side.
Crude, yes..because it's not under direct oil pressure...and dont forget to put the dampener on to align the cover just before you snug/torque it down tight or the seal will leak and or wear a groove into the dampener over years as it heat cycles and hardens.

-
Back