Any tips for putting the mopar away for the winter?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I have only had this car for over a month and it's getting real close to it's winter sleep. Its the first car i have owned that will be stored. It will be in my own garage attached to the house, no heat unless I turn it on but it doesn't freeze out there. So I was wondering what ppl do when they put the car away. thanks.

I wash and wax the outside, fill with gas, change the oil and put stabilizer in the gas. Disconnect the battery and if you have one of those little trickle chargers hook that up. Some folks put the car on stands so there is no weight on the tires but I don't unless I have some winter project. Come spring it's ready to go.

When I got my duster (project) I bought a set of dollies so I could move it around the garage. They were relatively cheap ones from Harbor Freight. Now every winter I put the car on them for 2 reasons, first, they're curved on the bottom, and won't flat spot the tires, and second I can push it to within a couple of inches of the wall to keep it out of harms way. If I need to work on it, I just pull it to the middle of the garage, start up the heater and go at it. Definitely worth the $100 in my opinion.

don

I put my car in this bag and it is supposed to come out like it went in. It cost $250 with shipping. Car Jacket size M1 for 1969 Dart.

dgc333 is right on the money. I also put some irish spring soap that I cut up into little pieces on a plate inside and in the trunk and engine dept. to help deter any mice. Sounds funny but it works! And it smells good inside the car too.

Irish Spring!! I have been using moth balls in my camper to keep the mice out (they have figured out how to eat there way through the metal sheathing on my garage). But that stinks enough come spring that it keeps me away too. ;)

One problem up here is brake fluid. If garage is unheated, condensation will really soak up in the fluid. I bleed my system once a year,since I had a moisture problem on my Dart.
Irish Spring? "manly yes, but MrMopar likes it too"
Sorry dude, couldn't resist

thanks a lot guys. a lot of good info here. i apprieciate it. as far as 1 last burnout goes, not possible...slant six, auto. I might be able to lay rubber with the brakes but I have drums all around so that might be a stretch too...i think i'm screwed :) thanks again

I was wondering when someone would come up with the old commercial saying, thats O.K, I laughed out loud when I read it. Contrary to popular belief, moth balls do not deter mice or bats or any rodent, it is a myth and you are right, it smells bad. Go ahead and shave up some of the green Irish Spring soap, put it on a platter or plastic lid from something and set it inside your car for the winter. The mice don't like it and it will help to freshen up the interior. I have been doing this for 13 years and no hint of a mouse in my car at all.

MrMopar said:
I was wondering when someone would come up with the old commercial saying, thats O.K, I laughed out loud when I read it. Contrary to popular belief, moth balls do not deter mice or bats or any rodent, it is a myth and you are right, it smells bad. Go ahead and shave up some of the green Irish Spring soap, put it on a platter or plastic lid from something and set it inside your car for the winter. The mice don't like it and it will help to freshen up the interior. I have been doing this for 13 years and no hint of a mouse in my car at all.

Fabric softener sheets also work to keep out the mice.

If you don't do anything else, fill up the gas tank. Bring a can and top it off after you park it. That is the single most important thing to do when storing a vehicle.

If the car is sitting on it's wheels, I always put a few extra pounds of air in the tires to help prevent flat spotting.

Sean

And don't waste your time putting it up on blocks. It's not the weight on the springs, but the movement while driving that wears them out.

moparfreak77 said:
I have only had this car for over a month and it's getting real close to it's winter sleep. Its the first car i have owned that will be stored. It will be in my own garage attached to the house, no heat unless I turn it on but it doesn't freeze out there. So I was wondering what ppl do when they put the car away. thanks.

Collectors Car Garage In Bedford NY

th_1969DodgeDartGTS440CollectorCarS-3.jpg

th_1969DodgeDartGTS440CollectorCarS-1.jpg

th_1969DodgeDartGTS440CollectorCarStor.jpg

:lurk:

th_1969DodgeDartGTS440CollectorCarS-3.jpg

th_1969DodgeDartGTS440CollectorCarS-1.jpg

th_1969DodgeDartGTS440CollectorCarStor.jpg

We just had what has got to be our last good day up here in New Hampshire so I'm about ready to put to old girl to bed till tax day.

On the one hand it is nice to have a designated "downtime" for the hotrod, but it right around January I start getting "the itch". Also, after you add the gas stabilizer, run it through for a bit so it gets in the lines, carb etc.

I wash the car to make sure there is no dirt on it. air up the tires and check the antifreeze. then it gets parked and i disconect the battery and cover it with a cloth car cover and then a plastic one over that.

-
Back