Any tips for removing stuck intake manifold? (Update...it worked)

-
Last stuck one I had, I heated up an old butterknife and ran it 360 all the way around. Worked like a champ.
I was sweating my *** off for an hour and my wife comes in and watches for awhile......I said ok, what? She said why don't you heat up a butter knife with those thingy tanks over there and cut it out like a cake.
2 minutes she watched....

If you think those stick bad, break loose a 390 Ford intake that's been bolted on 50 plus years. You'll need the engine hoist alright......but to pick the intake up. Not break it loose.

If you think those stick bad, break loose a 390 Ford intake that's been bolted on 50 plus years. You'll need the engine hoist alright......but to pick the intake up. Not break it loose.

Not trying to "one up ya" but try taking a flathead head off an olde 36 international. My attempt idea is; I'm going to shove nylon rope down the cylinder with the piston at the bottom of its stroke and then gently rotate the crank and see if it will break it loose off the studs that wont come out. Which is all of them.

Ford????!!!! :lol:

As far as old gasket; would it be too dangerous to burn it off with small torch? Heads got to be able to handle some heat, but I don't know if that'd be too much. Maybe moving across quickly not staying in one place too long?

Everyone has their own ideas and ways of doing ****, but my favorite was watching a dude pound a 1 X 4 chunk of wood under the intake of a 440 trying to break it loose while prying up on it. The valley pan gave before the intake did....... Yes , he insisted and I laughed as dirt and **** instantly dropped in the engine....

So I got it all back together but car starts for like 2 seconds and shuts off. It's idling at like 2200 which it didn't used to do at all but I dont even think the guy had the electric choke hooked up so that could be the issue. I do my normal four pumps and fire it up and it will idle rough for a couple seconds then die out. I have an electric pump but could it be the bowls in the carb are empty? Forgive me but I grew up a fuel injected guy and carbs are like Chinese to me lol. It's a 670 street avenger if that matters. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1441.PNG

Floats could be stuck at the bottom of the carb bowls. This makes the carb thinks that it's empty when it's not. Runs real rich, rich enough to shut off. Used to happen to my dodge truck.

Is that the PCV hose tucked between the heater hoses?

Oh hell yes that is the pcv hose and now that I think of it I don't know where they hell it was plugged in at. I put it there to get it out of my way. Hmm let me go look.

Good call man! I'll shake the walls and piss off the neighbors if I fire it up right now but im hoping that that has to be it. It was a big port on the very base of the carb where it plugged in at.

Use a Vacuum when scraping. It will get most if not all the material as you remove it. I have a rigged long Heater Hose I put on the Vac....

Good luck,
JW

-
Back