Any tips to instaling a tranny side cover on the car?

-

jfaabody

Reaction score
I have a 72 Duster with an 833, I pulled the cover to(don't ask why) but I can't get the thing back on any tricks or should I just pull the whole thing down?

hi, might as well, pull the trans out and do it right . its a lot easier!!!! the shift forks have to be on the sliders to get side cover back on. they have to be tilted toward top of case to get side cover to go over them.also, before tightening the side cover down, shift trans in to reverse, this will make sure the interlock will clear each other. also, test trans for shifting , before installing in car. just food for thought.

The party responsible for this post has been sacked ...

Thanks perfcar...I must have lost my mind :D

hi, first off, the forks do not come through the side cover.they slip into a round bushing which is part of the lever, which is where the arms attach too.
the shift lever has an o-ring on the shaft to prevent leaks. secondly, the tunnel has very little room to get side cover back on the trans. I've ran the 833 for 42 years. I have figured out the easy way to disassemble and assemble them. on the bench is the only and easist way period. just food for thought.

-
Back