ANY TOYOTA TECHS OUT THERE? CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ISSUE.

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'm having a check engine light issue on my 1999 Toyota Camry 2.2l engine. The code comes back as an insufficient EGR flow fault. I have checked and tested the EGR valve, Vacuum modulator, Vacuum switching valve and all related hoses. All check out, and test fine.

Here's the thing.......It only throws the code the code when I am in town (At operating temperature). Specifically when I make multiple stops (ie: grocery store, restaurant, liquor store) all within the same mile. After about 3 stops, the code shows up.

I can drive this thing all day long every week on the highway and never get the code. I reset the code, and never a problem until the next town visit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks FABO

Hi Folks

I'm having a check engine light issue on my 1999 Toyota Camry 2.2l engine. The code comes back as an insufficient EGR flow fault. I have checked and tested the EGR valve, Vacuum modulator, Vacuum switching valve and all related hoses. All check out, and test fine.

Here's the thing.......It only throws the code the code when I am in town (At operating temperature). Specifically when I make multiple stops (ie: grocery store, restaurant, liquor store) all within the same mile. After about 3 stops, the code shows up.

I can drive this thing all day long every week on the highway and never get the code. I reset the code, and never a problem until the next town visit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks FABO
My guess is a sticking EGR valve. May test fine under some conditions, , but stick under other conditions.

( engine load, temp and even fuel type all play a part)

It is the passage that is restricted probably not the egr valve itself check the intake manifold passage they plug with carbon over time. Just clean it out and it should be good.

Well Troy, you should know better than to make multiple stops. Just hit the liquor store next time, problem solved! Follow me for more ingenious problem solving.... :rolleyes:

-
Back