Any way to fix a leaking fuel sender float?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge has never worked in my Duster and I discovered tonight that the cause was the brass float has a tiny tiny hole somewhere. Is there anyway to fix the float or should I just buy a new sending unit and swap the float over to mine?

shake it and the gas will come out the hole it allready has? I covered 1 with epoxy and it lasted a few years, then I bought a new float at the Englishtown mopar swapmeet for $10 a few years ago

I've read a few places now that say that the ethanol gas will eat at the brass floats. I found this plastic one that looks like it could work but I haven't been able to find the exact dimensions for it. It's a jeep part and I know people have used them in ford pickups, Scouts and trifive chevys. Think I'll order one and see if it fits.

Amazon.com: Omix-Ada 17729.01 Fuel Tank Plastic Float: Automotive

I've read a few places now that say that the ethanol gas will eat at the brass floats. I found this plastic one that looks like it could work but I haven't been able to find the exact dimensions for it. It's a jeep part and I know people have used them in ford pickups, Scouts and trifive chevys. Think I'll order one and see if it fits.

Amazon.com: Omix-Ada 17729.01 Fuel Tank Plastic Float: Automotive
This this this! Just get a plastic float and be done with it.

Small world, I just did this yesterday. For the first time in 15 years of owning the car I have an accurate OEM sender working fuel gauge!

ethanol wont attack the brass float, but it may deform plastic carb parts, such as H-1920 economizer valve and decompose rubber parts such as hoses and diaphragms. Use with caution and inspect. I know we have no choice now.

I was under the impression that ethanol ate plastic, and that was why it is bad for fuel systems not specifically designed for ethanol.

I was under the impression that ethanol ate plastic, and that was why it is bad for fuel systems not specifically designed for ethanol.

The plastic that the float is made out of is just fine. Ever taken a sending unit out of a new car? It's mostly plastic. I ran my junky aftermarket sending unit with the plastic float on it for over 10 years and the float still looks perfect. I just removed that float and put it on an OEM sender yesterday.

The main problem with alcohol is eating rubber seals (such as the ones around accelerator pumps) and old rubber fuel lines.

Seriously? They're like 10 bucks new on Ebay.

At one time the same brass float was available at a Ford dealer for 5 or 7 bucks. Shop around.

-
Back