Any way to tell the age of a 741 casing? - 8 3/4 into '65 Dart

-

chewy

Some old guy...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, last night I scored a 2.93 open 741 3rd member ($35). The guy told me it was out of a '65 Coronet. I already had a '741 Suregrip that I was putting together for the car.

Looking at the casings, I dont see much difference. Any way to really tell the difference in the casings from each other? With same casting number, and no datestamp?

Here is the one supposedly out of a 65, and the one that I had...

Attachments

• Tw0867w.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 741-Cast2-w.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 177
Cut it in half and count the rings.

I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

Chewy, casting # 1820657= '57-64. 2070741= 64-72. About as close as it gets.
OG

If it still has the origional ring and pinion, I believe the month, day, year is stamped on the ring gear, just like they do on the engines.

Here's the ring gear: 11-5-64 . Thanks

Attachments

• 293-gearw.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Tw0866w.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 87
Sounds right for a '65 year car. I always noticed on the engines I pulled they usually were dated from the year before the car was built too.

I told you that you had to cut in in half. lol

Cut it in half and count the rings.

I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

My answer will be more appropriate and thoughtfull than Strokers, "NO".:-D

I told you that you had to cut in in half. lol

StrokerScamp, I tried, but the hatchet just kept getting dull. And the reverberation thru the handle, quite painful. lol

Sounds right for a '65 year car. I always noticed on the engines I pulled they usually were dated from the year before the car was built too.

Considering the Build date on the car was December 4, 1964, the ring gear in this rear-end matches quite close, and 'could have' been put in the car if it had received an 8 3/4...

-
Back