Any weed-eater guru's out there?

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I have a Poulon Pro 036 weed whacker that I bought about 7 years ago. I used it about 4 times then put it in the shed. I was dumb and didn't drain the gas or add sta-bil. When I took it out this weekend, the gas lines were rotten, so I replaced them and flushed the tank. I checked the plug, and it looks good. I got it started several time, and can get it to run on half-choke, but even after warming up for 5+ minutes, it won't run without choke. Any ideas?

Turn the needles (screw adjustments, one's high speed and one's low speed) in and count how many turns before it LIGHTLY hits bottom. Now take them all the way out and spray out the holes with carb cleaner. Put the needles back in and adjust them back to where they were before you pulled them. Needless to say flush and add new gas.
FYI. I always add sta-bil to every can of gas I pump, that way when the season's over I can forget about it, no winterazation. Next spring I fire up my stuff and never have a problem.

can i get a little info on a weedeater aswell??? i have a tanka 2501 that is fireing but will not start..i put some gas in the cylinder but still got nothing even shoot some starting fluid in it and nothing.. i dont really want to buy a new weedeater cause this 1 has been so good to me and it is super lite.. been had it since 1998/99 when i has my lawncare business......i thought the coil was gone but pulled the plug wire and plug and i get spark... mike

can i get a little info on a weedeater aswell??? i have a tanka 2501 that is fireing but will not start..i put some gas in the cylinder but still got nothing even shoot some starting fluid in it and nothing.. i dont really want to buy a new weedeater cause this 1 has been so good to me and it is super lite.. been had it since 1998/99 when i has my lawncare business......i thought the coil was gone but pulled the plug wire and plug and i get spark... mike

Clean and re-gap the spark plug, or, buy a new one. Could be just flooded too. These machines are pretty simple...gas, air ,spark...vrroommm.

My $0.02....

64phshy, your carb diaphrams are likely stiff from the stale fuel, carb would need disassembled, cleaned, and all diaphrams replaced. Sometimes a new replacement carburetor is pretty cheap for those things, like 20-30 bucks, a rebuild kit should be about 10 or so.... Mike, check your muffler for carbon or a dirtdobber clog. If you have compression, spark and fuel, it will run, but only if the exhaust isnt plugged up!

ill try a new plug and see.. the mix is pretty good it works in my other weed eater but they are just to danm heavy for my lol...this weed eater is the baddest i have ever owned i use 085 line and it never dies in tall grass or weeds even had the blade on it a few times and still ran like it was the line init...i have tried a few diff. kinds and the tanka has been on my top list as the best..got 2 backpack blowers i need to try and start up this year havent started them in about 3yrs man i got to much junnk thanks guys mike

Ha Ha, back to oval track racing this year, so the 340 is still sitting on the stand, allthough it only lacks pushrods to be done.. One day I will have time to finish it.............LOL

I have a small engine repair service that I piddle with starting about this time each year. Got several jobs goin now. This ethanol in the gas is reekin more havok on these small engines than it is the bigger ones. As evidenced by your rotted hoses. Ethanol did it. You need to make sure your new hose is ethanol friendly. They make it. I get it all the time. My biggest advice to people who aren't real great at keepin up their small engine stuff.......buy Stihl. I don't know what it is, but evidently they use better stuff than the rest. I have a Stihl chainsaw I bought in 2003 and NEVER drain the gas out. It has never failed to start. Same with my Stihl weedeater and blower. I don't add StaBil either. lol I've never had to work on any of my Stihl stuff. Ever. Course when my customers find out an entry Level Stihl weedeater is about 250 bucks, they back off. LOL but they would save money in the long run. I know I have.

64phshy, your carb diaphrams are likely stiff from the stale fuel, carb would need disassembled, cleaned, and all diaphrams replaced. Sometimes a new replacement carburetor is pretty cheap for those things, like 20-30 bucks, a rebuild kit should be about 10 or so.... Mike, check your muffler for carbon or a dirtdobber clog. If you have compression, spark and fuel, it will run, but only if the exhaust isnt plugged up!

I partially disassembled the carb and the diaphragms were not stiff or rotted. Carb was clean.

Could be the mixture. It's supposed to be 40:1, but I think I have it mixed 32:1...misread the instructions on the oil.

I have a stihle backpack and a echo both are great .just gotta get them out and fire since I don't use them anymore.

My dad had a Stihl chainsaw and a husky. Both were good, but seems like the stihl was the better of the 2.

If you have to run the carb with the choke partially on, the Carburetor is NOT CLEAN!!!! Some of the passages are so tiny, it takes only a microscopic film of varnish to partially block fuel flow..

I had a similar problem with a weed eater but I dont remember what brand. I couldn't make it run so I went out and bought a new one.
2 days later friend came by who just happens to work for a Kabota Tractor / lawn and garden. In about 3 minutes time he had removed what resembles a catalytic converter behind the muffler. It started on the 2nd pull and ran like new.
I should add that i had half assed mixed the fuel/oil ratio in that units history. I learned my lesson. I now mix fuel and oil like a chemist. LOL Today the not so new Cub Cadet still runs fine.

I have serviced a few of these two stroke chain saw's and weed eater's
there is some good info here for everyone and sounds like a few of our members has put some time on these little cool engines :happy10: and have put some good help up here 8)8)8)
I have seen customers bring these in and all it was is a Loose carbs :happy10:
It is good to have a can of WD 40 to help clear these out and it will not hurt your diaphragms, and I have seen my far share of plugged up mufflers :) Just remove it and open it up and you will see why they get plugged if your mixture has been wrong, this is a must do to tune one.
I think Zama carbs are used on allot of these cool engines and carbs are an easy fix and kit's start out at $7 to $12 dolors.
I think I still have a rpm reader from back in the day and they like running full speed all the time.
Replace the filter that is in your gas tank, using a small wire with a button hook bend in it to get it out. If it has a primer bulb replace or bypass it. all it takes is just very small air leak to keep them from starting and running.
Here is a Walbro carb Video for yall

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x33aYO1Dh5g"]YouTube - WALBRO CARBURETOR REBUILD[/ame]

forabodiesonly stand for all things pssible i guess..you guys are great i went out this morning took the muff. off the weedeater and cleaned the juck out of the port and cleaned the muff. out and ill be damn pulled the string the thing crank right up i will be damn just think i was ready to buy a new 1 thanks guys your great....mike oh i pulled the string on the sthile as well fired right up the echo i didnt have any fuel so ill get me some gas and some mix and check it out in the next day or two thanks again mike

Well replicarracer, you were partially right. I took it apart again and cleaned it up really good, and got a visible layer of varnish off. Still doing the same thing though. I think the carb is the same one in the video Memike posted..it's a walbro. I'm thinking this thing was something like $80 when it was new, and if I take to a shop, it will probably cost more than it's worth. so if I don't get it running soon, I guess I'll have to spend my car part money on a new weedeater.

I have a friend with a small engine repair business. For weed eaters he recommends 2 options. 1,buy high end,such as Stihl,Shindawa,etc.,and keep maintained as required,and they will last for years. 2,buy cheap (under $100),and when they quit in 2-3 years,throw them away,and buy another cheapie. In the end,you will have spent about the same.

lawnmowers/weedeaters/gas powered lawn equipment all fall victim to carb failure/gaskets drying out and leaking...symptoms are lack of idle ability or even running beyond the initial priming.

That sucks. I already bought a new mower for the same reason. At least the old mower had some use on it, the weedeater had maybe 2 hours operating time.

If you will simply add STABIL to your main gas can, all your worries will pretty much go away. I tell all my customers that...but thank goodness none of them listen. lol

Yeah, I get it now. They sat for 6 or 7 years though, so I don't know if Sta-bil would have prevented it.

-
Back