Anybody convert? roller hydraulic to solid lifters?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Saw mention of hydraulic vs solid rollers. I have a TON of hydraulic rollers, only a few are worn. I've thought about trying to gut them, make a sleeve/ spacer/ whatever?? and convert them to solid.

There was ALSO some mention that you can "get away with" running solid rollers on a hydraulic lobe. Thoughts? This was always a no-no in the flat tappet world.

While we are beating this horse, how about decent / yet inexpensive adjustable rockers for stud rocker heads? (And WHY did May have to do THAT??)

I have had NO personal experience with that, but I've always heard that a hydraulic lobe profile is much more aggressive, because the hydraulic mechanism of the lifter absorbs and softens the affect of the more aggressive profile. My "impression " is that the lifter would have trouble "following " the lobe profile, even more so for a hydraulic roller profile. Remember that valve lash will be part of this equation. That said, this is really just heresay, because I've no firsthand experience in this.

I took a solid apart and it had a snap ring...wtf? I pulled it apart and it was a solid sleeve in an otherwise hydraulic lifter holding up a pushrod seat. There you go. A hollow solid lifter. I think the hydro profile has a longer ramp as it compresses slightly before it starts to lift like .004? Same goes for solid pattern that lays the valve back down softly over more degrees so it doesnt bounce. Dunno, look that stuff up.

Last edited:
I think it would work. The hydraulic part of the lifter does soften the blow a little bit but it's more for noise than it is for endurance. We all know plenty of people out there running solid lifter cams. Solid rollers no different. You just need to stay on top of your Lash. Let us know how it goes.

I think it would work. The hydraulic part of the lifter does soften the blow a little bit but it's more for noise than it is for endurance. We all know plenty of people out there running solid lifter cams. Solid rollers no different. You just need to stay on top of your Lash. Let us know how it goes.
I have heard of racers switching them,for performance reasons. HOW LONG THEY LASTED? I GOT NO CLUE.

I have put hyd lifters on a solid cam with very good success. Kim. Jim La Roy was doing some testing running different lifters with different cams. Do a search

-
Back