anybody copy and make there own front coil over kit like alterkation

-

wedgehead

Reaction score
Im fixing to get a water jet and by looking at one of these things ,It cant be that hard to cut out and weld up. Wondering if somebody's had acess to one and got some measurments.

Im fixing to get a water jet and by looking at one of these things ,It cant be that hard to cut out and weld up. Wondering if somebody's had acess to one and got some measurments.
theres a lot more involved than just copying. Plus, copying would violate numerous laws. Can it be done, sure, but it really depends on your level of fab skills. keep in mind, I looked into building one from scratch, it was gonna be dang near 2k in parts, with 600 in the shocks/coil overs themselves. so what money you'd save isn't gonna be as much. So I just bit the bullet and bought a Gerst kit, which in my opinion is superior to the Alterkation in many ways including being 2 grand cheaper.

theres a lot more involved than just copying. Plus, copying would violate numerous laws. Can it be done, sure, but it really depends on your level of fab skills. keep in mind, I looked into building one from scratch, it was gonna be dang near 2k in parts, with 600 in the shocks/coil overs themselves. so what money you'd save isn't gonna be as much. So I just bit the bullet and bought a Gerst kit, which in my opinion is superior to the Alterkation in many ways including being 2 grand cheaper.
I think it would be very time consuming. it takes a lot of thot and checking stuff to do something like that. I just built a set of strut rods for my magnum force front end. ( to add a little strength). you wouldn`t believe how long it took me.. I had to change the front coilover springs, and now have a rear spring problem. gotta love this stuff when ur 70 !

...Plus, copying would violate numerous laws.
Depends on what he is doing. Just doing it for himself, 100% legal. Copying to sell them, maybe illegal (depends on if the person/company copied from filed for the proper intellectual protections) but it is definitely unethical.

As for everything else said by dukeboy and famous bob I totally agree with.

Depends on what he is doing. Just doing it for himself, 100% legal. Copying to sell them, maybe illegal (depends on if the person/company copied from filed for the proper intellectual protections) but it is definitely unethical.

As for everything else said by dukeboy and famous bob I totally agree with.
as far as duplicating something from someone elses design, all u have to do is change one thing on it , even for a patent.

as far as duplicating something from someone elses design, all u have to do is change one thing on it , even for a patent.

Depends on how the patent is written, it's all about the wording.

That said, I don't think anyone has a patent on these systems but I do agree with dukeboy, your going to have a lot of time and money in doing it yourself. I had quite a bit invested when I did my coil over kit.

Depends on how the patent is written, it's all about the wording.

That said, I don't think anyone has a patent on these systems but I do agree with dukeboy, your going to have a lot of time and money in doing it yourself. I had quite a bit invested when I did my coil over kit.

This is only for my rides. Cant seem to let 35 to 45 hundred go for these set ups. There nice and I would like to have it but thats a lot of $

thats exactly what control freak did... i so wish i saved the thread over at moparts where the guy with a blue dart was bragging about copying the alter-k.

seems like a bullshit move to me to do that with anyone set up... how about you R&D your own..

-
Back