Anybody done Mecum?

-

69conv

error 401
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gonna be in Fl during the mecum auction, probably not buying this time. Any heads up on parking lot bids or protocol? Anything on what to look out for? I'll try not to let a car follow me home. Honest.

Ya don't get in a bidding war, also mecum can bid a car up themself and then drop the reserve. Also if you buy from a dealer you will pay that sales tax in some states.

Gonna be in Fl during the mecum auction, probably not buying this time. Any heads up on parking lot bids or protocol? Anything on what to look out for? I'll try not to let a car follow me home. Honest.

There is the bid goes on for those that do not meet the reserve.

They have rules about selling outside of the auction arena to forgo the commission. If someone commissions their vehicle and pull it they still have to pay.

If you get caught which it happens you get banned, most do not want to be banned. For someone selling one car it does happen some, but there is a lot of dealers there.

It is a business, they rent the fairgrounds for the auction, they pay the staff, have to pay for the insurance, advertising printed material and taxes. The total cost would probably be just as unbelievable as some of the cars that cross the block.

It isn't a use car lot, but it is the BEST CAR SHOW you will ever go to for the $20 enters fee. If you are interested in buying a car, get a bidders card. Each day they have a list of the cars going thru and the staff should be able to direct you to where it will be parked. I HIGHLY ADVISE anyone buying a car at auction to take the time to check it out before hand. AGAIN the Mecum staff will be helpful in assisting customers with a car they are interested in. Test drives are not one of them, but they will start and check electrical components on request. But they are only to be started by the owner or by Mecum staff.

I have assisted many customers looking at cars in Indy. There is a large number of staff that gets to travel to the different large auctions and are very professional. I would love to work more than Indy but I still have a job, many are retired or business owners working the auctions because they LOVE CARS.

So I recommend checking out the auction for great car show.

Some of the best deals can be had early in the morning, late in the evening and the early in the week cars are more driver quality and affordable. They are not TV cars, they are drivers.

Have a blast checking out advertised 3,000 cars on the auction block

I work for a auction that does a classic car sale, the expenses are unbelievable, but its the best car show you can attend. Like said above there are high dollar cars but there is also lots of deals for the flippers. Be patient and bid what a car is worth to you. We do a regular dealers auction every week, theres always deals and theres always some cars or trucks that do moon shots. A nice car will always do the money no matter where it runs.

Really appreciate all the advice. I don't want to make a mistake but I would sure love to see all the cars. I'm thinking if it looks like a promising venue I may go to bid next time. Thanks again for all the inside information.

-
Back