Anybody ever make your own hood scoop plug?

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve looked around and haven’t had any luck finding a plug for this style hood scoop.

I open trailer the car and while I do use a carb cover I have been thinking about having a scoop plug for when I haul it.

I have some foam, could I just cut to fit and glue a plastic sheet cut to fit on the front side? Anyone tried this?

IMG_5350.jpeg

Way back I just cut a piece of foam rubber for an A12 (‘69) hood when I raced it. Shove in halfway, then pull out when ready to run.

Yup, you just make one. Unless I can find one really cheap I have a company right down the road that can make a cover and I'll just glue foam to it and send it.

Yep, 99 cent store pool noodle. Too bad about 99cent stores disappearing. They had lots of stuff I bought cheap. Their competitors are all higher priced.
(Nuts, berries, candy, tennis balls for the dogs, teflon tape, etc. etc.)

Last edited:
That I did back in the "old days!" It had nothing to do with the strip, just rain and keeping it OUT!
This is one reason I’m wanting to try this. Got caught in a fairly heavy rain and that scoop directed plenty of water under the hood ha

Yup, you just make one. Unless I can find one really cheap I have a company right down the road that can make a cover and I'll just glue foam to it and send it.
I was thinking of something like this. A plastic cover the shape of the scoop with foam glued on the back to go in the hole and hold it in place with the plastic keeping the foam from getting as wet

I bought a big piece of foam on Amazon and cut it to fit my 6-pack scoop. Tucked in between the air filter and front of the scoop. I just wanted to keep rain and crap from getting all over the engine/compartment.

Rode from Detroit to Florida that way when we moved and I brought this car down on my flat trailer. (Pic also shows the "shield" I threw together from an old pickup truck bed mat to block crap from going back and hitting the car.)
20231016_125654.jpg

Last edited:
I stuck an extra piece of foam in my dads roadrunner scoop. Both sides of the scoop stick out so there’s no mistaken that it’s in the scoop haha. It’s not fancy but it keeps crap out of carb.

I bought a big piece of foam on Amazon and cut it to fit my 6-pack scoop. Tucked in between the air filter and front of the scoop. I just wanted to keep rain and crap from getting all over the engine/compartment.

Rode from Detroit to Florida that way when we moved and I brought this car down on my flat trailer. (Pic also shows the "shield" I threw together from an old pickup truck bed mat to block crap from going back and hitting the car.)
View attachment 1716303026
That’s a great plan for a long move like that and by the way that’s one sweet Demon!!

I stuck an extra piece of foam in my dad’s roadrunner scoop. Both sides of the scoop stick out so there’s no mistaken that it’s in the scoop haha. It’s not fancy but it keeps crap out of carb.
I tried this once with extra foam I had after cutting my squares I used on the bottom of my hood so I could sit it on the roof in the pits. It looks like it would have worked fine I just worry about it getting soaked if it rains so that’s why I was thinking some trimmed foam glued to a plastic front piece.

I tried this once with extra foam I had after cutting my squares I used on the bottom of my hood so I could sit it on the roof in the pits. It looks like it would have worked fine I just worry about it getting soaked if it rains so that’s why I was thinking some trimmed foam glued to a plastic front piece.
That's basically what the factory plugs are. A piece of plastic with a couple pieces of foam (or pool noodle) glued to it, done!
I'd split the foam in the middle (for the scoop reinforcement in the middle) and then glue the two pieces as close together as possible. The reinforcement held tight by the foam will help keep it in place.

Last edited:
Yep, 99 cent store pool noodle. Too bad about 99cent stores disappearing. They had lots of stuff I bought cheap. Their competitors are all higher priced.
(Nuts, berries, candy, tennis balls for the dogs, teflon tape, etc. etc.)
99 cent disappeared too

-
Back