Anybody ever reseal a Centerline rim?

-

340doc

Reaction score
I have the old school centerlines on a Duster, one of the front wheels is leaking air out of one of the lug nut holes. I know there is a bead of silicone where the two rim half's come together. Has anyone tried to redo the silicone? Thanks.

Hard part is cleaning the old silicone sealer off.
I used urethane windshield sealer to replace the silicone. Worked good.

I have the old school centerlines on a Duster, one of the front wheels is leaking air out of one of the lug nut holes. I know there is a bead of silicone where the two rim half's come together. Has anyone tried to redo the silicone? Thanks.

It's a breeze. just mark the halves so they go back together the same way.

It's a breeze. just mark the halves so they go back together the same way.

Not sure how you would take a centerline apart or more importantly how you would reassemble them. I have scraped out the old silicon and resealed with success.

I was thinking the ones that have allen screws, but I guess those are not actual centerlines are they?

Allen or more accurate, rusting bolts...are Cragar Super Tricks. I just put tubes in my hopeless leaking Chevy 2 backspaced OG Centerlines that I redrilled to a 5 on 4. Seems you could almost run a ring gasket between the halves of other rims that can be split. Trivia, Is the SST "Street Super Trick" or "Steel Super Trick"...?

We ran into that when I worked at the tire store in the early 80s. What we did was clean the wheel centers real good go over them with scotch brite pads, clean them one last time with denatured alcohol. Let them dry completely and spray the center of the inside with a good thick coat of spray on bed liner. Works real good and is permanent.

-
Back